• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 rebuild/upgrade build thread

child9 can offer a warranty on his rebuilt transmission, I am am sure it would be Industry Standard in nature.

His valve body could be warranted to work as advertised. Just like any other aftermarket performance valve body.

Price wise, I think he has it under priced. Comparablevalve bodies are running in the $400 range.

I believe in fair profit. I'm not out here trying to screw people so I can make every dollar of profit I can. I just want to make a living using my hands and my head. I firmly believe that doing things the right way and making decisions that try to be as fair and honest as possible is the proper way to run a business. I will not lie to you. Oftentimes things happen, hiccups come up, and things don't go as planned or according to schedule. I might forget some quote or have an email stuck in "drafts". I'm not a business man, unfortunately. I'm a design engineer. I'm trying to start a company and grow it to the point where I can hire someone to run it and I can go get lost in the lab, where I belong. Like Hodgins on "Bones". That's me, if I'm lucky. This work being done is for you...it's for us. I'm getting this stuff done for me...and for us. I'm not scared to try new things, or to break past all the talk and find out what really happens when we put a turbo-charged engine in a Jeep, install a high stall torque converter, then brake-torque the shit out of the trail. Why? I can't answer that, that's what religion is for. HOW. That's what I know. Get 'er done right.

I need a local Jeep as well so I can feel it. My neighbor does have a renix XJ Wagoneer...hmmm. I also picked up another transmission from CL and am going to modify this valve body as well. It's from a 2WD 90 to 92 Cherokee, so is a good test to make sure the 2wd version is the same as the 4wd 96 version. I wonder if they are interchangeable.
The valve body in the modified a340e (in my Jeep) is really really aggressive. It's so hard and fast that the rear end just comes loose and spins when she shifts. :) I don't want the AW4 valve body to be so harsh. At least that's the plan anyway. This first one is just the first and I expect this to be mild. We plan to do the math, feel it out, and get each shift set to what I think is best. Once I set that base line I will have a reference point and any one can have us adjust those points based on their personal preference. At least that's the plan. Lol.

At that price I would love to do the valve body upgrade if the shifts aren't too harsh as my Jeep is a daily driver but I do like more performance than stock out of the vehicles I drive so this may be a perfect option. I would be interested to see if this has any effect on mileage for a daily driver.

Tail cone is different 2wd/4wd. Something about a transfer case needing to bolt on. Not sure what one of those is but...

The rest of the transmission should be the same. Leastways, I have not seen different part number call outs for the important internals.

For the record:
I do not mind a that a vehicle gets a squirrelly under full throttle acceration. Just means you need to know how to drive.

Can you say supercharger?

I like the idea of custom tailoring the shift points. The street Jeeps will need to shift differently from the trail only rigs or the street/trail hybrids like my toy. Keep up the good work!

Remember this won't change the shift points, just how fast and hard the shifts happen when they do. Working on the manual shifter for that kinda control.

Yes, the a340e we converted to a 4wd version was...well...2wd. :)

Wil me lookin to purchase valve body once rebuild my tranny. Any suggestions on a rebuild kit thats not too over the top expensive?

If I was you, I would contact your local transmission parts shop (here it's Jerry's Transmission Parts) and get the rebuild kit, the friction kit, and the 3 sprags, if necessary. You probably don't need the sprags.

Everything should come in <$300.

I like what I'm reading, when it's ready I'll be interested in the kit. However until you become a NAXJA vender I wont by a thing :)

Back