• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 rebuild/ remanufacturer?

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a buddy who has a '92 XJ, 4WD that the AW4 transmission either needs rebuilding or replacement. I'm trying to find one locally. We could probably swap it in. We are also open to suggestions on perhaps taking it out and having it rebuilt as well. He was quoted $2500 for the complete job, I'm trying to see if I can help him out. Thanks.

I'd consider craigslist or local JY for a swap. And then maybe consider having it rebuilt?

yeah, i'd just find another out of a junkyard and bolt it in for $300.

Yeah that may work, we could grab a junkyard one and have a place locally rebuild it. The Jeep still drives but will need a new transmission soon. I'm still looking for local rebuilders in the San Diego area.

I meant and not have it rebuilt. A good junkyard trans will probably last as long or longer than a rebuilt aw4. These transmissions with proper service are usually good for 300-400 K miles.

they're all over the junkyard.
I'd pull one from the lowest mileage xj that had nice clean fluid in it, and wasn't completely covered in grime.
put new input and output seals in it, a new filter and fluid and drive it for another 200k+.

Back