• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 issues

ok now on the tranny side of the conector. I put ground at the battery and used the continuity setting. i have continuity from the connector to the battery on solenoids 2 and 3

i forgot to say i do not have continuity on solenoid 1 at all from the tranny connector to ground. So as of right now i feel i have an open on solenoid 1. this explains why i start in 4th in drive. Does this sound right?

I am having trouble finding the two connectors on my 87 aw4. there are no black or grey connectors anywhere on my tranny. there are two two-wire connectors, one goes to tail housing the other to transfer case. the only wires that go to my tranny are for the NSS.

I am having trouble finding the two connectors on my 87 aw4. there are no black or grey connectors anywhere on my tranny. there are two two-wire connectors, one goes to tail housing the other to transfer case. the only wires that go to my tranny are for the NSS.

They're NOT on the tranny. They're in the engine compartment near the trans dipstick tube.

i forgot to say i do not have continuity on solenoid 1 at all from the tranny connector to ground. So as of right now i feel i have an open on solenoid 1. this explains why i start in 4th in drive. Does this sound right?

I believe that you're right, however, I'd back probe the connection for the solenoid #1 and test again. Then, as suggested, check your TPS and adjust your TV cable. Based on what you've already done and the NSS is adjusted properly it may be time to drop the trans pan and check the solenoids.

Having continuity through solenoids 2 and 3 isn't going to tell you much. You need to read/record what the resistance is (11-15 ohms). You may find a little more resistance due to the resistance through the connectors/wiring and your meter's leads, but it should give an idea if one or more is way out of range. The best way is to measure the resistance directly at the solenoid(s) by dropping the pan and unplugging the electrical connector and measuring the resistance between the male connector at the solenoid and the bracket.

I'm very suspicious that this all started with the replacement of the NSS. When I adjust mine I have the trans in reverse/key ON engine Off then with the garage door closed I rotate the NSS back and forth and watch the reverse lights turn on and off then split the difference.

thank you, i have been looking for a while, everything i read said by the tube and i thought it meant on the tranny

Do this while you're at it and you found the connectors:

Cruiser’s Trans Plug Refreshing

Over near the transmission dipstick tube are 2 rather large connectors. One is black and the other gray. These 2 connectors carry all the info between TPS, TCU, NSS, speed sensor, and transmission solenoids.
Unplug each one, visually inspect for corrosion or bent pins, spray them out with electrical contact cleaner and plug them back in.

Additionally, if your Jeep is an 87 to 90 Renix, it’s always a good idea to reach up under the glovebox area and unplug the connector to the TCU and spray it out along with the receptacle of the TCU. While you’re there, find the fuse right in that area for the TCU. Remove it and spray out it’s receptacle and clean any corrosion from the fuse.
Revised 9-10-2012

Back