• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 how much HP??

Jposses

NAXJA Forum User
How much HP coul handle the AW4 Tranny...iam turbocharge my 2000 XJ and it come with this trany...somebody know how many HP an Torque support??????

How long does an AW4 last at 500HP and would it be fully stock?

Talk to a Reputable transmission shop. one that is familier with the AW-4

they will be able to help you.

I talked with a dual turbo'd supra dude once. He had about 450hp and a stock aw4, he said his tranny was slipping and couldn't handle the horsepower, he was going to put i think a turbo 400 or th350 in it. good luck.

I think the AW4 is rated to handle 300HP,not sure about torque. I've been wondering about upgrades to the AW4. Things like better clutch's,band's,valve body, maybe a shift kit, etc.

The valve body is the difference between the A340 in 900 HP twin turbo Supras and the humble AW-4 in our Jeeps. Upgrades to the valve body can be found - probably listed as a Supra A340 part.
To clarify- the A340 trans is identical to the AW-4 except for the valve body, maybe one or two other minor details. The AW-4 can be built to handle extreme power, same as the A340.
Stock, I think the AW-4 is good to three hundred HP / three hundred ft-lbs.

I ran one behind a juiced 401 for a while. It did eventually end up slipping going into second after a bunch of 1/4 mile passes. However it was a used trans, unknown miles that I got for cheap. I didn't even bother checking fluid condition before install so it could have been about shot before I got it.

The valve body is the difference between the A340 in 900 HP twin turbo Supras and the humble AW-4 in our Jeeps. Upgrades to the valve body can be found - probably listed as a Supra A340 part.
To clarify- the A340 trans is identical to the AW-4 except for the valve body, maybe one or two other minor details. The AW-4 can be built to handle extreme power, same as the A340.
Stock, I think the AW-4 is good to three hundred HP / three hundred ft-lbs.
Very interesting, thanks, I remember someone bringing this up before. Is there a good website for A340/AW-4 performance tech ?

There is too many variables to answer that question.

Thats like saying how long will my clutch last im my 5spd jeep.

Um sure the aw4 can handle quite a bit. You beat the living shit out of it on the pavement and in the dirt who knows that like flipping a coin only time will tell when ya break it.

If I'm still living in the Chicago area when and if mine ever needs that kind of work, I may talk to a guy I know through work who works for AMS Performance and used to be with Sound Performance and is pretty familiar with the Supra's and their workings.

well my xj 2000 is almost ready to test and the parts on it are this:

1) Garrett Gt35 Turbo .70 .63
2) Big intercooler
3) Water Meth injection with 380CC injector
4) Bosch 27lbs Fuel injectors
5) 12:1 or less if is necesarry FMU
6) Stock Engine with Mopar perf. Head Gastket
7) 3" Custom Exaust Piping and CatBack..
8) Type HKS Blow Off

but my problem is the trans....is a AW4 with a Larger Trans oil Cooler but i dont now if it really suport 300Hp....???

somebody help me please¡¡

It's essentially the same transmission used in Toyota Supras, and they hit 320 stock, and much more than that with mods.

I have done research myself because I want the tranny to hold up to 300-350 hp. Not that I'm getting 300-350 from a 4.7 but it should hold up well for what i'm doing "25-30% pavement and 70+% off-road. After searching and reading how others have did there own mod's on there own and some failed i decided to have someoneelse do this. my tranny is only 2000 mile rebuilt and so all i'm doing is a larger trans cooler and the v-body modification Talk with TY at http://www.importperformancetrans.com he will steer you right.
the aw4 will take it for alittle while but not for long.. if the tranny is good or just rebuilt not long ago then just rework valve body and use a big transcooler. then it should handle 350hp and about 375-400 of torque.

The aw4 can handle as much 600-650 hp.. The first thing that needs to be done is to increase the line pressure. Mod. to the V-body, mod. separator plate and alteration of the accumulator circuits. I understood it and maybe could have done it myself but :shiver: I want it to work the first time around. :shiver:

well the auto trans is really a strong trans...my xj is charging 7psi of boost in a GT35 Turbo and tha trans works pretty well....some times the TCM have some confuse because the engine revs very quickly and pass 1-2 faster and have some injections cut¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

iam really happy, the jeep works pretty well..the aceleratuion is incredible even i do a litle race over a sand dune with another jeep but stroker 4.6 manual trans turbo and i do a respectable performance¡¡¡¡

Back