• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Fluid

JNickel101 said:
Considering Chrysler is now a cast off of Daimler, purchased by an investment firm in NYC, finalized 3 Aug 2007, I wouldnt trust them. I can bet that since this TSB came out shortly after the finalizing of the purchase, it was part of a sweeping change initiated by accounting, having nothing to do with the actual vehicle technicians. Why ELSE would they all the sudden make such a recommendation, switching to a completely different TYPE of fluid. I would bet it doesnt have anything to do with the DexIII licensing expiration, otherwise, they'd recommend Dex VI - the next logical fluid in that line of fluid types.

I would use DexVI or a fluid developed that is COMPATIBLE with DexIIe/III fluids, not something that is completely different - no matter how "good" of a fluid ATF+4 is. Its obviously diffrent enough that in the past 20 years since the AW4 first was put in an XJ, it was never a recommended fluid til Cerberus took over the company.

To me, it sounds like a decision made in accounting, rather one that was made with any technician input...

and finally, let me sincerely apologize to you for blowing up - i went back and re-read all 6 pages of this thread, and while you did kind of come off as being a prick, i understand your frustration and your line of questioning. i'll admit i get into "Mr Furious" mode and i'm quick to fire back...but most of the time, half of my frustration and anger is b/c i'm 10,000 miles from my family, my jeep and my home, trying to help a bunch of people who dont want my help and hate me regardless of my intentions in their country.

:patriot:

Take it from somebody who has been there and done that, don't loose your sense of humor. "Life is a bitch then you die" but nobody says you can't have a few laughs along the way.

6nqduuc.png

JNickel101,

A bit of topic, but just wanted to say THANKS for all you are doing and to the rest of the folks over there. I know your job is tough, but just want to let you know how much we appreciate all that you do. My best wishes to you and your family for the New Year.party1:

Now back to the Jeep thing............

Bob

JNickel101 said:
but most of the time, half of my frustration and anger is b/c i'm 10,000 miles from my family, my jeep and my home, trying to help a bunch of people who dont want my help and hate me regardless of my intentions in their country.

I wish I could say I understand that, but the hardest thing I have to deal with right now is that my girlfriend is in Hawaii for Christmas/New Years without me... She also lives in a different city than I do. So I guess I can understand to the slightest degree (still nothing close). All I can say is good luck and I hope you return home safe.

And I still honestly believe that although that particular TSB may have been a little coincidental with it's timing, the technical departments would have been consulted too, not just the bean counters.

JNickel101 said:
and finally, let me sincerely apologize to you for blowing up - i went back and re-read all 6 pages of this thread, and while you did kind of come off as being a prick, i understand your frustration and your line of questioning. i'll admit i get into "Mr Furious" mode and i'm quick to fire back...but most of the time, half of my frustration and anger is b/c i'm 10,000 miles from my family, my jeep and my home, trying to help a bunch of people who dont want my help and hate me regardless of my intentions in their country.

Let me just say I can understand thoroughly what you're dealing with - which is why I'm usually willing to cut people a little slack, if it looks like we're still moving forward. Don't get your arse shot off or blown off while you're over there - and maybe we can hoist a few when you get back!

Just be sure to remember - 1* (one asterisk. Say it out loud, slowly.)

I have a AW4 and I put the fluid they recomend in it...at O'Rielly's....there isn't much cost difference anyway....so what ya all bickering about? Its New years.......Enjoy it.....:sad1:

spunebil said:
I have a AW4 and I put the fluid they recomend in it...at O'Rielly's....there isn't much cost difference anyway....so what ya all bickering about? Its New years.......Enjoy it.....:sad1:
:hang:

Oh, ok. Could it be based on year of the tranny? Or are the transmissions the same throughout the years it was produced?

R6TeXJ said:
Oh, ok. Could it be based on year of the tranny? Or are the transmissions the same throughout the years it was produced?

Well considering XJs stopped production in the 2001 model year, and the bottle of Mopar ATF+4 I have says 2000 on it... And no owners manual or FSM made specifically for the XJ ever mentioned ATF+4, I don't think so.

Thanks to everyone...

I have to remember to get some pics of the XJs over here...i bet 75% of them have the factory rear tire carrier, and i swear i saw one with a 4" exhaust on it...HUGE pipe coming out of the back. LOL

There's a contractor I work with who has a 2004 yellow Rubicon over here...i'm tempted every day to try and hot-wire it....but i'll stick to my 2007 Ford Ranger 3.0L TDCi

its made me seriously consider trying to find one of these little engines and throwing it in an XJ.....torquey...280 ft/lb IIRC (whatever 380 nM comes out to)....154 HP

Back