• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AVgas....

ZacSquatch

NAXJA Forum User
So, we do a lot of fuel systems at work and some times we get a lot of extra fuel to "dispose" of. Of course, the diesel and JET A gets put in home heating fuel tanks. Today I got some AVgas

What should be my mix ratio with regular unleaded? Going in a 351w

Zac

I used Avgas in both my dirtbike and my truck in the 70's. Both ran geat on it. The bike really noticed the difference. My dirtbike was a Yamaha, and my brother had a Maico. My brother commented on how much better his Maico ran with the Avgas.

I believe the gas was 100-137 Avgas. If putting in a 351W, I would not dilute it except for what old gas is already in the tank. But, thats me.

If you have a cat, the lead in aviation fuel(80- or 100 LL) will contaminate the catalyst. If you care or have to pass emissions tests, don't run it at all.

I'm not positive of the lead levels, but it is marked 'ulta low lead.'
I ran one ounce of oil per five gallons of AvGas in my sand cars back in the day. It has very little lubricating qualities and does not contain the additives available in pump gas (lead is used as the lubricant.)

How much fuel did you end up with?

30 gallons. I have 32 gallon capacity so I am going to run roughly half/half. I already run HEET in every tank as well as lucas fuel injector cleaner/lube every once in a while. I think with those I should be fine

I gutted the cat last year when they dropped IM in Fairbanks, AK

If you gutted the cat you should be fine. I gutted the cat on one of my trucks and ran regular leaded gas for years. Truck ran fine.

Before anybody starts on how badly I am treating the environment, I was living in 29 Palms, CA (Marine). Back in the late 70's, it happened several times that all the gas stations from Morongo Valley to 29 Palms were out of unleaded gas. My truck was empty, and I did not feel like walking 20 miles from Yucca Valley to 29 Palms, so regular went in my tank. Next weekend I gutted the cat and removed the restriction from the gas filler. Problem solved. Truck ran fine for several more years that I had it.

If you gutted the cat you should be fine. I gutted the cat on one of my trucks and ran regular leaded gas for years. Truck ran fine.

Before anybody starts on how badly I am treating the environment, I was living in 29 Palms, CA (Marine). Back in the late 70's, it happened several times that all the gas stations from Morongo Valley to 29 Palms were out of unleaded gas. My truck was empty, and I did not feel like walking 20 miles from Yucca Valley to 29 Palms, so regular went in my tank. Next weekend I gutted the cat and removed the restriction from the gas filler. Problem solved. Truck ran fine for several more years that I had it.

My jeep blows smoke like a diesel so we are good :D

my buddy ran a tank of avgas in his little racer rabbit GTI.. Ran a little warm..

See if you can find an aviation guy to either buy it off you or take it, a lot of small planes run that stuff still. If you weren't on the other side of the planet, literally, a friend of mine would probably be interested.

lol, its in my tank.

Alaska is the small aircraft capital of the world... more Pilots and single engine aircraft per capita than anywhere else in the country. I even have a Cessna 182, but the upkeep is so expensive that I havent had an annual in 3 years..

Back