• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux. fan relay?

LABMBA87

NAXJA Forum User
Think I figured out the overheating issue. I don't think my aux. fan is working. any ideas on how to check. Is using a jumper wire the best method?
If it's not the fan, is there a relay? If so, where is it?
94 XJ 4.0

Put 12V directly to the fan to see if it works. If so, Look in the Power Distribution Center under the hood. The fan relay slot is shown on the diagram inside the cover of the PDC.

Good Luck

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. At what times is the aux fan supposed to come on and does it help with the cooling of the engine? Probably should've asked that first.

Yes it helps cool the engine
it comes on about 220 degrees if i remember right.
it comes on with the ac
it comes on with the defroster

I live in the desert here in california and just bypassed the whole system and put a 12v source wire that is hot when the ignition is on and a switch to turn it on and off for when its not needed. its very easy to do.

I guess why I am asking is because since the last time I went wheeling, my XJ is running about 220 all the time and spikes when doing any heavy footed driving. So, if the aux. fan is to blame...... do you have the schematics on how you wired the switch to that fan? BTW, this is my DD.

its really simple

1: check that fan works by jumpering
2: splice fan positve wire to new wire
3: find a switched power source ( I found a unused fuse slot and installed a 20 amp fuse)
4: check fan operation with key on and that it stops with key off
5: wire a on off switch of your choosing (must handle 12v at minimum of what your fuse is)
6: check operation of fan again

The way I did it I still would get the fan to come on and off with tha ac (if I had ac) but I can override it and turn it on any time I want. some guys just wire it in to the switch and bypass the normal operation of the circuit but I wanted to have it still work at 220 if i was a dumbass and forgot to turn on the fan switch.

Okay, I'm a wiring tard so if you can get a little more detailed than that? And, what's the reality that I could do this on my lunch hour?

There is a relay on the inside wheel cover, on the drivers side. I finally replaced that and haven't had a problem since. It was about $25.00 at the dealership, and easy to replace. good luck (gigage in Texas) 90 pioneer

You can also try to twist the posts on your relay. Sometimes they get a little corrosion in the plug and need a little more bite to get a good conection. Mine wasn't working so, I twisted the relay posts a little and it came on on it's own for the first time ever. I still have the switch wired in for off-road use. Chris

Back