• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic Door Locks

50willys

NAXJA Member
I have a '96 Cherokee Classic with auto windows and door locks. So here's my problem every time you start the vehicle the doors lock and you can't get out unless you turn off the engine or unlock the doors manually. Is there a way to bypass this feature, so the only times the doors lock is when I lock them?

Thanks,
Bob S.

DRW - You mean the inside door lock button? Door handle alone never did unlock the doors - doesn't work that way in the 96 or earlier. Don't know about the later models.

I'm not sure why this is more unsafe than when the driver or passenger manually locks the doors. You still have to manually unlock the doors to get out, either with the switch or the manual locks.

My Omega aftermarket remote lock/unlock (not remote start) system has this as an optional programmable feature. I have it turned off right now because it is a pain for the thing to lock every time you start the motor. Our '93 Regal had this feature but the doors did not lock until you shifted into drive. My wife in particular likes this as a safety feature

I am going to rewire the Omega unit to lock after shifting into gear, preferably after the transmission shifts into second.

I'm not sure why this is more unsafe than when the driver or passenger manually locks the doors. You still have to manually unlock the doors to get out, either with the switch or the manual locks.
Oh - I forgot about that aspect. As was pointed out, under normal operation, the door has to be unlocked to be opened from the inside. It was such a normal movement that "unlockupwardgrabhandleopendoor" was all one movement on my 96 Sport. Current one has manual locks so it's a more involved unlock-and-then-open-door action.

If they're automatically locking, that's an aftermarket thingy. To my knowledge, that was never an option in XJs, no matter what year. Original poster wasn't clear on when the doors lock (if automatic) but it sounds like they unlock if the Jeep is shut off.

I wonder if the XJ with the Police Package has doors that you can't unlock from the inside?
I think that feature started around '93 - the child safety lock? Flip the little tab on the rear door jamb, and the door won't open except from the outside.

Jim www.yuccaman.com/jeep

Back