• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Transport Company Recommendations?

XJGrl

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone shipped a vehicle cross-country recently? I have a bunch of quotes from a bunch of different companies -- sort of confusing to figure out which companies are better than the others. Any recommendations?

You might ask why....well.... I gotta get my Jeep from Alexandria, VA to Las Cruces, NM and I wouldn't even let my worst enemy THINK about driving it 2000 miles!!!

Thanks in advance.

XJGrl :wave:

Shipping

Had a EBay bought MR@ shipped from Kew Gardens, NY to Dallas,Tx. It cost me $930.....The car was advertised as "NO RUST".....yeah right....I shipped it back. Cost me $1k......Got my money back but not the shipping....

Lester

I used Billy Turner Auto transport, took 2 weeks to get it picked up,vehicle was not as advertised though, kinda disappointed with internet purchase.Real cheap tho.490 from MA to OH

Haha -- well I am not too worried about the "condition" of the vehicle :) I KNOW what I am getting -- its been MY Jeep for 8 years!! Ill check out Billy Turner tho.....

Dr. Moab should be able to lend some advise here. I'd PM him if he dosen't respond in this thread.

Hale

responding...

The only thing I can suggest is stay away from the brokers. They will charge you about 3 times what dealing with an auto transport company direct will.

I didn't run that area so I'm not sure who to call. Your best bet might be a hot shot company of some kind.

mtnxj said:
Why don't you just drive your Jeep, and tow your Acura? Then you'd know you could trust the transport driver. :D

Not too sure the Jeep would want to drive that far -- not such a fun ride anymore -- especially not for 2k miles!! I really wouldnt want to tow my brand new Acura behind my POS Jeep -- especially when you factor in the part about me not being the best "towing" driver on the planet!!

I had thought about getting rid of both the Acura and the Jeep -- and buying a new 4-door Rubicon -- but then I saw the $34k price tag on the Rubicon and nearly died laughing. The other issue with that is overcoming the whole "new jeep" phobia all over again.....

decisions decisons.....

DrMoab said:
responding...

The only thing I can suggest is stay away from the brokers. They will charge you about 3 times what dealing with an auto transport company direct will.

I didn't run that area so I'm not sure who to call. Your best bet might be a hot shot company of some kind.

Must be trucker talk -- can you define "hot shot company"?

I have already read a bit and sort of got the idea that brokers are a rip-off -- but thanks for confirming!!

XJGrl said:
Not too sure the Jeep would want to drive that far -- not such a fun ride anymore -- especially not for 2k miles!! I really wouldnt want to tow my brand new Acura behind my POS Jeep -- especially when you factor in the part about me not being the best "towing" driver on the planet!!

I had thought about getting rid of both the Acura and the Jeep -- and buying a new 4-door Rubicon -- but then I saw the $34k price tag on the Rubicon and nearly died laughing. The other issue with that is overcoming the whole "new jeep" phobia all over again.....

decisions decisons.....

'Twas just a thought. One I'm sure you briefly considered. Good luck with the move. Just don't sell your Jeep, you'll regret it!

mtnxj said:
'Twas just a thought. One I'm sure you briefly considered. Good luck with the move. Just don't sell your Jeep, you'll regret it!

The more I think about it, the more I realize how much I would miss it. Granted -- I probably wouldn't bring her back home again if I move back to the East Coast in 2 years -- I would bring something cooler back with me :)

XJGrl said:
The more I think about it, the more I realize how much I would miss it. Granted -- I probably wouldn't bring her back home again if I move back to the East Coast in 2 years -- I would bring something cooler back with me :)

WHY would you want to go back east?!?! :eek: Way too many people. I know you gotta go were Uncle Sam says, but once you get out west, you'll never want to leave (IMO).

mtnxj said:
WHY would you want to go back east?!?! :eek: Way too many people. I know you gotta go were Uncle Sam says, but once you get out west, you'll never want to leave (IMO).

Ill be out there for 2 years -- and at that point I will reevaluate and decide what to do. The only thing tying me to the East is my Mom -- if she will move somewhere out there with me, I will probably end up staying!! I know I sound like a big baby -- but my mom and I are sort of all each other has as far as family goes!!

Uncle Sam can't really tell me where to go :) I am a civilian -- I DO have a choice :smoker:

XJGrl said:
Ill be out there for 2 years -- and at that point I will reevaluate and decide what to do. The only thing tying me to the East is my Mom -- if she will move somewhere out there with me, I will probably end up staying!! I know I sound like a big baby -- but my mom and I are sort of all each other has as far as family goes!!

Uncle Sam can't really tell me where to go :) I am a civilian -- I DO have a choice :smoker:

To true, to true (choice). Nothing wrong with wanting family close. Good luck with the move. Hope it goes smoothly.

XJGrl said:
Must be trucker talk -- can you define "hot shot company"?

I have already read a bit and sort of got the idea that brokers are a rip-off -- but thanks for confirming!!
A hot shot company is one of those guys who haul freight with a pickup truck not a semi.

Back