• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto start system install ........ recommendations?

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
The wife would like auto start on her '07 Trailblazer Super Sport.

Car Toys wants $465 installed for a system that also replaces the factory key fobs.

We just want a simple auto start set up. It can have it's own key fob - we'd prefer to keep it simple and not remove/disable the OEM fobs/locks/alarm.

I know the simple systems exist, but where's a good place to get things like this installed?

I dont know if you have a Drive in Auto Sound in Denver but they have two in Colo Spgs they did my dads truck and he has had no problems with it. It was a about 150.00 bucks. Just throwin it out there.

ya places like drive in and such you have to ask for the 150-199 kits. they work just fine.

is her key chipped? some vehicles require a "valet" key to be made/programmed or the car will shut off after a few seconds. something to look into.

the basic kits work fine with no serious nightmares that i hear of. was thinking about puttin one in heathers xterra. but she doesnt wanna have to pay for another chipped key too...

Trailblazers are equipped with "Passkey" system which will not allow the vehicle to start without the key being in the ignition. There is a module that can simulate this, without the key actually being in the ignition, which is why Car Toys wants so much to put one in. You will need to have an additional key programmed at the dealer, which you will need to sacrifice to the remote start, depending on generation od the "Passkey" system. Improperly installed systems simply allow theives easier access to your truck. Have it done right. Have Car Toys do it. Go to the Car Toys by Park Meadows mall, and ask for Jeff. Ask them to look at your keys and vehicle and see if you need the sacrificial key or not. You'll need the "Passkey" simulator module either way, but it's a different one depending on generation. Well worth the piece of mind. I've replaced hundreds of POS remote start systems from cheap auto parts dealers, and beleive me, when you get stuck somewhere and it won't start from a failed module, you'll wish you'd paid the pros. If it fouls up from their work or product, they take care of you right!

What arctycfox said is what I was afraid of. I wasn't sure if all that chipped key "passkey" system B.S. had to be tapped into just to do the remote start....... I was hoping that leaving the OEM key fob/lock/alarm system in place rather than replacing it with a more complex alarm system that has remote start would have been an option.

I don't think she wants to spend the $500+ needed for the correct system. So far, I've been her remote start system...... firing it up as I get home from work before she leaves..... and I'm free. :D

Well, it was a thought. :thumbup:

What arctycfox said is what I was afraid of. I wasn't sure if all that chipped key "passkey" system B.S. had to be tapped into just to do the remote start....... I was hoping that leaving the OEM key fob/lock/alarm system in place rather than replacing it with a more complex alarm system that has remote start would have been an option.

I don't think she wants to spend the $500+ needed for the correct system. So far, I've been her remote start system...... firing it up as I get home from work before she leaves..... and I'm free. :D

Well, it was a thought. :thumbup:

Your not free you are hi maintanance

I know GM does have factory remote starts on their vehicles now, our 2008 Duramax 2500 has it (our 2008 3500 doesn't though :confused: ). I don't know how far back that option goes though, but maybe you can get an OEM one installed.

Make the engine happy, install a block heater.

some of the WJ dudes bypass the passkey annoyance by duct taping their passkey under the steering column, which allows them to use non-passkeys (cheaper) -- should work for remote as well, but obviously you're leaving a key in the vehicle should a scumbag choose to grab it...

Unfortunately, this feature wasn't offered on the '07 Trailblazers. Can't get the OEM version..... which I would have definitely done.

My truck has remote start and navigation as standard equipment on the SLT package..... and now my wife seems to think she needs it too........ :doh: :laugh:

In one breath she says it's not that big a deal...... on the next, we're making plans to go talk to the guys at Car Toys this afternoon....... either way....... I'll end up paying for it.... somehow.... :roflmao:

Unfortunately, this feature wasn't offered on the '07 Trailblazers. Can't get the OEM version..... which I would have definitely done.

My truck has remote start and navigation as standard equipment on the SLT package..... and now my wife seems to think she needs it too........ :doh: :laugh:

In one breath she says it's not that big a deal...... on the next, we're making plans to go talk to the guys at Car Toys this afternoon....... either way....... I'll end up paying for it.... somehow.... :roflmao:

$500 is still way cheaper than your new truck... :roll:

Just throwing it out there but ultimate electronics is having their going out of business sale.. I had one of their kits in my 89 xj worked fine. It was like $250 with an alarm system. might want to check them out since everything is on sale..... car toys is a nightmare to work with... i would never trust them to touch my cars.

Back