• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aussie question

no kidding, pardon my ignorance, I thought they would drop right in without pulling the carrier

Will they go in without pulling the carrier if installed in a D35 or 8.25?

Daedalus454 said:
Will they go in without pulling the carrier if installed in a D35 or 8.25?

Depends if you can get them past the ring gear. Higher gears(numerically lower) have a thinner ring gear than a lower gear(numerically higher). The pinion on higher gears are huge compared to lower gears. Have to make up for the size somewhere.

goodburbon said:
and my wifes 30
and my bro in laws 30

Yes, you have to pull the carrier out, pull the ring gear, install the lunchbox, then zip it all back up tight.

That's why God created Dremels. Grind a hair off a tooth or two, and you're good to go! For properly set up gears, you'll never even get close to the primary contact surface. If you're really anal, you can grind an equal amount off the other side of the ring to balance the weight.

fizassist said:
That's why God created Dremels. Grind a hair off a tooth or two, and you're good to go! For properly set up gears, you'll never even get close to the primary contact surface. If you're really anal, you can grind an equal amount off the other side of the ring to balance the weight.

You are not changing the position of anything, nor are you removing or adding any shims. If done properly you will be very very close. The ones I have done have not made noise or broken yet. Grinding the ring gear while it is still in the housing is a great way to introduce lots of shiny new abrasive into the diff. doing it twice= twice the crap you have to make sure you get out of there.

Oh, and if you're anal enough to remove material from gear teeth that don't need it for "balance" you need some serious mental help.

goodburbon said:
You are not changing the position of anything, nor are you removing or adding any shims. If done properly you will be very very close. The ones I have done have not made noise or broken yet. Grinding the ring gear while it is still in the housing is a great way to introduce lots of shiny new abrasive into the diff. doing it twice= twice the crap you have to make sure you get out of there.

Oh, and if you're anal enough to remove material from gear teeth that don't need it for "balance" you need some serious mental help.

Even if you grind the ring gear you still need to get the cold rolled pin out of the centershaft, That ring gear has to be moved to get that done! I always mark the relationship of the ring gear to the carrier so the same gear pattern will remain. This will reduce the chance of having any gear whine until the gearset re-establishes a wear pattern and reduce over-all wear on the gear set. I can usually install one of these in 2 hours or so and the only one I've ever had a issue with is my own!

fizassist said:

thats what i did ... so much easier ... plus i didn't have to worry bout jacking anything up ... just took my time and a lil @ a time and was good to go

I pulled the Carrier, but i didnt remove the ring i had no reason to ....

xjtrailrider said:
Even if you grind the ring gear you still need to get the cold rolled pin out of the centershaft, That ring gear has to be moved to get that done!

Assuming you have a roll pin and not a bolt....

Back