• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie locker install problems

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Well i am in the process of installing an aussie locker in my dana 35. My problem is that i can't get the middle of the locker to fit inside of my carrier. Am i doing something wrong here? I have tried everything that i can think of and still can't get it to go in. If anybody has any ideas that would help me out that would be great.

Thanks,
Ben

I had the same problem installing my Aussie in my front D30. You have to install the pieces in a certain order for them to all fit in properly.

If that doesn't work, then maybe your side shims are too thick?

Which middle part?

Put the side gears in first, then one middle gear with the spacer in the middle, then the other middle gear and spacer. Do the pins and springs, add the center pin, and be done. Remember to use the side gear thrust washers too.

Well the problem is with the center part of it that the center pin slides thru. It looks like it is to tall to fit inside the carrier. Do i have to clearance a part of the carrier out to fit it in there?

Your sure you got the kit for D35 right? If yes, then it should fit. AS ALWAYS, read the instructions......

To quote Ryan on Trucks!

It's like putting lipstick on a pig....(in reference to modifying a Dana 35)

If you keep the tire around stock and hardcore wheel it, it shouldn't break.....

I personally would have sought out the stronger D44 to use.

I am fortunate in the fact that my 87 already has one from the factory, its' even equiped with a trac-lac LSD.

Last edited:
Jeepguy91 said:
Well the problem is with the center part of it that the center pin slides thru. It looks like it is to tall to fit inside the carrier. Do i have to clearance a part of the carrier out to fit it in there?

Will the pin slide into the carrier but not past the spacers in the locker itself?

Well i would have got a dana 44 if i had that kind of cash flow. This is what i got to work with for right now and the way i wheel i think it will do just fine. Just can't seem to get it installed is my problem.

Daedalus454 said:
You have to install the pieces in a certain order for them to all fit in properly.

Funny thing about that last night, I was helping a friend install his locker and I kept putting 2 pieces in upside down. I ended up getting everything together except for the center shaft and had to pull the springs and put them back in about 3 times... Lesson, dont drink and install lockers at the same time.:)

-Alex

Its the middle gears that won't fit in. There looks like enough room once i get it in the carrier but i can't get it inside the carrier. It is hitting the edges of the carrier and won't let it go in.

The Aussie web site mentions something about clearancing the carrier, because they are not all cast the same.

Yeah, the side cutouts in the carrier are actually smaller at one end. I ended up putting both "gears" into the narrower side, then putting both "gears" into the wider side.

When I tried to instal a powertrax in my suburban, I pulled everything out took out the spyder gears and it ended up being a limited slip. The locker would not fit in the carrier. If I wanted to get it in I would of had to buy a open carrier. Make sure you dont have a limited slip rear diff!

Very good read. I want to upgrade from a D35 before considering a locker but this has been very infomative.

i think it would be useful for everyone to know some lunchbox locker terminology

couplers: the parts that slide onto the axle shafts
drivers: the part that the spacer goes and also fits perfectly with the coupler. also probably has a slot in it for the c-clip to fit through, depending on the application.
syncros: the little part that's probably already press fit or nearly press fit into the coupler. it needs to be aligned with the teeth on the coupler
spacers:the part that goes in the driver, it keeps the driver centered on the coupler and in the carrier.
cross pin: goes through the drivers and carrier. applies the torque from the ring gear to the drivers.

there are also assorted springs depending on the model locker installed
no-slips are the only ones i have personal experience with... there are 4 saddle springs that center the cross pin and 4 other springs that spread the drivers...

i'm not as familiar with what the OP might be dealing with, but it's kind of a puzzle.

this is what worked for me:
make sure all saddle springs are seated properly or you'll have to take the whole thing apart again
put the couplers on first
put the driver's side driver on and install driver's side c clip
rotate the carrier 180 degrees and install the other driver and c-clip
align the driver's with the cross pin holes in the carrier and use the retaining bolt to slide the cross pin into place

let us know how it goes

XBoBJ said:
thats rough,,,, good luck sucks it was you that it dont fit on

Im still running an open diff on my rig, but I plan on running a Aussie on my D35. I just found this and thought it would help. I hope I don't run into this problem with mine.

Jeepguy91 said:
Well i would have got a dana 44 if i had that kind of cash flow. This is what i got to work with for right now and the way i wheel i think it will do just fine. Just can't seem to get it installed is my problem.

I hear you on the money issue....(Our budget is so tight it squeals like a stuck pig....)

I bought my 87 with the D44, but it wasn't until a few days after I got it that I realized what I had....

I think you'll be okay if you don't hardcore wheel it. There are companies that make D35 upgrades, but you need to search long and hard to find them....

Well i got the cam gears to fit in the carrier but now i can't get both of them in there. There is a little lip on the axle gear that i can't get the cam gear past. Now this is the only thing holding me up. Has anybody ever had this problem and how did you get past it? Just can't seem to get the last cam gear into the carrier.

Back