• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie in the front and open in back?

winkosmosis said:
I think I would rather have it in the front because when in RWD mode, it's not being worn much. so it will last forever. That's the way it works isn't it?

No. :)

They wear the same whether or not they are under load, and they don't wear out. You can -break- one, but daily driving is not going to contribute to that.

I would put it in the rear (oops, that didn't sound right).....if you run alot of tight wooded trails it'll steer so much nicer and put alot less stress on your front joints on the rocks. I see you live in Michigan (EDIT: or does that stand for Mississippi? If so, disregard the stuff about the icy roads....doh!) do you ever drive your XJ on icy roads and sometimes use 4WD on those icy roads? A locked front on an icy road (in 4WD, of course) can be a real handful! I have an early Bronco that's locked at both ends, and sometimes I hate the front locker but.........It'll climb just about anything! :D If you can't turn it off (or on when you really need it)......leave it open but, that's just my opinion---------Hans

Last edited:
so apparently what i have in my head is wrong. i live in virgina and get a decent amount of snow (well used too, who knows now). ive always THOUGHT that having a rear locker and open front would have better on road manners in the snow. from what some people have said, locking the front and open rear is better? perhaps i just dont fully understand the concept.

nootay said:
so apparently what i have in my head is wrong. i live in virgina and get a decent amount of snow (well used too, who knows now). ive always THOUGHT that having a rear locker and open front would have better on road manners in the snow. from what some people have said, locking the front and open rear is better? perhaps i just dont fully understand the concept.

Either way will require a bit of getting used too. What's better depends on who you ask

winkosmosis said:
I've read that the "teeth" wear out on the edges

What causes locker teeth to wear out on the edges? Bent axle's and axle tubes are the number one and two cause, followed by damaged or broken hubs, followed by cross shaft gone soft or worn outside of the specification, followed by excessive carrier wear and lastly improper installation. We have never seen an Aussie Locker worn on the edges (which shows the locker is not meshing per the install specification as the cam and axle gears set flush against each other) that did not have one or more of the above environmental issues.

If you can only lock one end locking the front is the way to go. With the rear on hill climbs most of the wieght should be transfered to the rear therefore both tires should have decent traction. In the front how ever on climbs it may start to get light and only one tire maybe touching the ground, and Id sure rather have the tire touching have some power getting to it then the one tire spinning uselessly in the air.

Also the front tires can turn i.e. hunt for traction and grab onto things....

im glad to see someone from aussie here on naxja, but he sure doesnt look legit... no sig, no membership... on the wrong continent... low post count... etc etc, is he the real deal?
i love the traction my aussie gives me, but id pretty much rather have a welded rear end right now, the clicking drives me nuts, and is plain embarassing....
i was warned ahead of time, and others dont seem to mind it as much... but id rather hear the wheels squeel than that fn click.....

xcm said:
im glad to see someone from aussie here on naxja, but he sure doesnt look legit... no sig, no membership... on the wrong continent... low post count... etc etc, is he the real deal?
i love the traction my aussie gives me, but id pretty much rather have a welded rear end right now, the clicking drives me nuts, and is plain embarassing....
i was warned ahead of time, and others dont seem to mind it as much... but id rather hear the wheels squeel than that fn click.....

Its my belief that the Aussielocker account is legit. You'd be surprised how many vendors have just basic free accounts with no sigs here on Naxja - at least they ARE here on Naxja to answer questions.

xcm said:

While the lockers are made in Australia they are sold at offroadlockers.com out of NY.

Mine doesn't click as much now that I have put some miles on it and a couple wheeling trips.

Back