• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

August 2nd MSV/Coney Flats?

Skully

NAXJA Forum User
Here is the deal, I have a young gentlemen with Developmental Disabilities who is turning 21 soon and looking for a new Host Home to live with (Foster care for adults, this is what my wife does) She (Roxy, my wife) wants to impress the pooh out of him since he loves the mountains and camping etc. She wanted to go back to MSV/Coney flats this coming Saturday Aug 2nd and give the trail another try and she thinks this young gentleman would love it! (Last time she went there she was 6 months pregnant and hated it & me :) )

My YJ buddy across from my house usually is down for this stuff, but I do not know if he would go on short notice, and I do not want to go alone.

Anybody interested in a nice family run of this trail? It would probably later in the morning I will know more once I get more details on when we would pick this guy up.

It would be me, my wife, my new co-pilot (9month old son) and this gentelmen.

I am in Broomfield btw

Let me know,

Hmmm, never ran those.

I already have people coming up for cruise night on Saturday. How late do you think this would run?

BTT

I want to leave the house by 9am on Sat. morning unless my guest can not come over that early. I figure back by mid afternoon, barring techincal difficulties. When you reach the top and the big water crossing set up for picnic or something. The trails have some great scenery and lots of water crossings.

Both Middle st. Vrain and Coney flats connect to each other. I heard the lake is pretty high this time of the year so my 4" lift and 31's might not be good :) Although last year with 3" lift the water was at my wheel wells and that was around July 21st.

Traildamage links;
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=18

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=15

Any takers just let me know,

We gots permission...he doesn't even know it yet.

I was wanting to try the 30s I took off my little truck, maybe I should stick with the 31s. Just how much strap do you have? Is there fishing?

PM sent.

Eagle_Rock10.jpg

I cross-posted, another guy wants to run it with us.

PM sent

Great day! I really enjoyed wheeling with the whole crew Skully! I now underrstand why you don't have picture of your heep. If they're lucky, people get to see this much of you:

3e7ed3c5.jpg

59cc2c0d.jpg

eb7b13c4.jpg

Just kidding! Here's your poser shots:

Fun trail, good company, Jeremy and I had a blast! Now if I just took the time to read the destructions for this little camera, I might get some nicer shots.

eae8a028.jpg

You SucK! Your little camera took great pics......I feel bad now....

I thought I had some great pics of you Hypoid, but when I looked at them all the areas under your jeep came out all dark and did not show how awesome of driver you were. (I need to read the destructions as well to get the settings right or something :) )

I had a great time and really glad you could come along!

MSV / Coney is a great trail that offers a lot the whole trail long. What sucks is at the hardest area, we didn't get any pics of it............

Here is some of what I got......... these pics don't do the trail or Hypoid's driving justice though.

BTW; I had to throw a pic of my new co-pilot wanting to drive already :)

Once I figure out how to get the video off the Handycam in net format I will put those up tomorrow.

Wait a second....how come all your shots of me were in the rear end and I got you in the front? .........wait, that is a loaded question :)

3MSVconey08.JPG

1MSVconey08.jpg

2MSVconey08.JPG

4MSVconey08.JPG

5MSVconey08.JPG

6MSVconey08.JPG

7MSVconey08.JPG

8MSVconey08.JPG

9MSVconey08.JPG

1MSVconey08.JPG

Last edited:
I have been struggling with this video thing. My Handycam records on Mini DVD and the transfer software converts to a weird "mpegv" format. Been trying to find converter software for free or cheap but to no avail. I finally gave up and did a Yourtube account. FYI; some of these were filmed in "Cloverfield style", I was either having to pay attention more where I was backing up cause of all the trip hazards. I will get better in time.

Here is one of Hypoid doing the big water crossing. There is a side story in the video you will here me saying something to someone. There were these 2 huge "Toyota's", and I mean skyjacked, that came up the trail and went though the water crossing. Driving these Toys on this trail was major overkill. Like wearing a tux to go to Taco Bell :)

As I was recording Hypoid one of them said; "MAN! I can't believe he is bringing that stock Jeep through the water!" The other guy replied; "I bet their feet are all wet cause there floorboards are filled with water."
I had to comment and then they realised; oh crap he is recording him. Changed their tune and started talking about how cool the water crossing was and I made a comment about how it was pretty low. They probably felt like tools :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHqf8YHu9EQ

Here is another one; there was a lot of rocks that stuck out to catch unsuspecting low lying body parts specially rockers, which Hypoid needs really badly! (That is what he wants for Xmas, but I guess he has to name them Dog steps for the XJ.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxcLY0T0mLg

Not sure why I recorded this :) but what the hey.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah11Hq_Zb78

Last edited:
That came out GOOD Skully, thanks! I'm already showing your pics around. LOL

Our little Shi-Zu is about 10 years old, kinda overweight. He has a hard time jumping into the heep these days. With the Mrs working weekends, it will be easier to do those extra little things to HER Jeep. That project will have to go in stages.

Funny, as the Yoda dudes were driving in to the water, I told them they wouldn't get their feet wet that way; kinda like they were being short-changed. Your side story ices the cake. I think the lady on the quad had more fun than everybody at the water crossing: "Oh! This feels GOOD!" LOL

The thing with the shadows? I used a film technique to fill in the shadows:
Set the flash on manual.
Get within the flash's range (usually 6 to 12 feet for a point-n-shoot camera).
Let the camera set the exposure for existing light.

I've heard it called "shadow fill" and "open flash technique". It transfers over to digital photography very nicely. I'm still learning what this digital stuff can do.

Back