• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATV's street legal in GA?

mcraindog

NAXJA Forum User
I am just curious about this topic. Did some searching but didn't find an exact answer. Wondering if anyone here knows anything? I realize some changes would be to be made to the atv such as blinkers, maybe mirrors, etc. I only travel 3 miles to work, so being able to ride that to work would help me save on gas. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Ive often thought it would be a cool idea, now that gas cost so much, to market a street kit for ATVs.
Include street wheels and tires, DOT light kit and different sprockets for better gearing. Ive told people about this idea and basically they say it would be dangerous. I dont see why an ATV thats setup for street use would be any more dangerous than a small cc motorcycle.

Anyway, are you sure you have to change anything on your ATV to ride it on the road. WV made ATVs legal to ride on the road (secondary roads) a few years ago without lights or registration.
Worst thing they ever did.

I would just get a small CC bike for that, one thats already street legal. I think it would be cheaper too, some of those ATV's are up in the harley range.... Actually for 3 miles I'd just use a bicycle. Bottom line we're talking 52 football fields. While 3 miles here is one thing, I could coast from my house 3 miles to a job 3 miles away but man, coming back, all uphill.

Last edited:
It really is a myth that ATVs, especially the larger CC ones get better mileage than your average car.

They really don't. You really have to stay in the low CC range to get the awsome gas milage people are expecting, like 50-250CCs.

At that point, you purchase a scooter for less money. And they are legal everywhere.

I am not sure about Georgia, but you can't make them street legal in Texas. I think it's because of the four wheels they require it to pass crash safety standards, unlike a motorcycle.

For a 3 mile commute, I like the scooter idea. I dont think you need to have insurance on those either , just another thing not to pay.

well the thing is...i already have the 4-wheeler...it's a honda fourtrax 300 so it does get fairly good mileage. I think that they would be a lot more safer than a fast ass motorcycle (and they don't have airbags)! So that arguement can't be used against them.

here it is
DSCN0760.jpg

The problem is that the tires on ATVs are not at all what you want for a street tire. On the street, at speed, they handle like a diaper full of crap.

The thing about the "fast motorcycle" is it only goes as fast as the rider makes it go so the bike isnt really unsafe, the rider makes it unsafe.

Back