• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATTN: CA residents. New smog proposal. Fight this!

SuperRA

NAXJA Forum User
I got this in an email from moss motors. Please respond appropriately to our politicians. I am sick of them using our cars as scapegoats.

----------

In an effort to avoid public scrutiny, California Assemblyman Dave Jones ([email protected]) has amended a completely unrelated bill with language to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older. This represents an obvious attempt to sneak through legislation in the closing days of the legislative session that had been previously defeated (A.B. 616). The new bill is designated as A.B. 3053.

While pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under existing California law, this proposal ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction. Furthermore, the bill would direct that the funds generated through annual inspection fees be used to scrap older cars. This represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars.

This is the type of activity that fuels distrust in public officials. SEMA caught this lawmaker’s underhanded attempt to circumvent public process and is now calling on you to help defeat A.B 3053 before it’s too late.

Time is of the Essence! We Urge You to Call the California Senate Appropriations Committee (List Below) Immediately to Oppose A.B. 3053

California Senate Appropriations Committee

Senator Tom Torlakson – Chair
Phone: 916/651-4007
Email: [email protected]

Senator Dave Cox
Phone: 916/651-4001

Senator Sam Aanestad
Phone: 916/651-4004

Senator Roy Ashburn
Phone: 916/651-4018

Senator Gilbert Cedillo
Phone: 916/651-4022

Senator Ellen Corbett
Phone: 916/651-4010

Senator Robert Dutton
Phone: 916/651-4031

Senator Dean Florez
Phone: 916/651-4016

Senator Sheila Kuehl
Phone: 916/651-4023

Senator Jenny Oropeza
Phone: 916/651-4028

Senator Mark Ridley-Thomas
Phone: 916/651-4026

Senator George Runner
Phone: 916/651-4017

Senator Joe Simitian
Phone: 916/651-4011

Senator Mark Wyland
Phone: 916/651-4038

Senator Leland Yee
Phone: 916/651-4008

Sent a bunch of e-mails.

This bill, if passed, would really screw me since I own two vehicles made in 1993 and SMOG checks at "test only" centers seem to run about $90 around here.
California once again trying to suck more money out of us. :sure:

I got a response... looks like good news!
Billy

Thank you for contacting my office to convey your views regarding
Assembly Bill 3053 (Jones), a bill which would have required older and
classic vehicles to obtain an annual Smog Check clearance. I appreciate
hearing from you.

AB 3053, a bill which originally related to domestic relations, had
passed both houses of the Legislature and was on the Governor's desk
when the author had the bill pulled from the Governor's desk and
returned to the Senate. The author had the bill gutted and amended on
August 22 to include content virtually identical to his AB 616 from last
year. The bill was subsequently assigned to the Senate Appropriations
Committee; however, it died without a hearing. Consistent with my
opposition to AB 616, I was similarly opposed to AB 3053 as written.

Again, thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. Please
feel free to communicate with me in the future on other issues of
interest.

Sincerely,

DAVE COX
Senator, First District

OK - batch email sent (dictated something while driving back & forth to OKC,) we'll see what happens.

I've often found it helpful to indicate a willingness to discuss things further. About one time in five, they'll actually do it - but be ready if they do. It shows you're willing to compromise (even if you aren't...)

PurpleCherokee said:
I've said this before and I'll say it again... I'm SOOO glad I don't live in CA. No offense to those who do.

I'm glad you don't live here either. That's what got CA so screwed up for us natives carpet baggers from back east coming in and changing things.

Boatwrench said:
I'm glad you don't live here either. That's what got CA so screwed up for us natives, carpet baggers from back east coming in and changing things.

Sometimes the truth hurts. :laugh:

Boatwrench said:
I'm glad you don't live here either. That's what got CA so screwed up for us natives carpet baggers from back east coming in and changing things.

Tom - not all of us want to change things to make them worse. I'd like to make things better - I feel like an expatriated American living here...

NB: When we finally do unass this benighted state, we won't be "taking California with us" - elsewise there'd be no point in leaving, would there? The HOAs, Municipal Codes, Yuppies, Left-leaning treehuggers, and all the rest of the lunatic fringe can stay here for all of me - I don't want to take them with me. It's already bad enough that the California mentality is infecting the rest of the country, but I won't be doing my bit to assist the infection. I prefer to think I'm more of a "cure" than a "disease"...:twak: :twak: :twak:

John,

You're not a carpet bagger. I bet if you look up all those assemblyman and state senators listed on that committee there is not a native in the bunch.

Tom

Boatwrench said:
John,

You're not a carpet bagger. I bet if you look up all those assemblyman and state senators listed on that committee there is not a native in the bunch.

Tom

Tom -
Just making the point for the rest of our readers. Not everyone who has come into California suffers from the same mental defects as the rest, and not all of us who plan to leave California want to spread the disease.

"Act like a Californian?" I'd rather have bacterial meningitis, a full-blown case of applause, sabre-toothed crotch crickets, and PKD just to round it all out. I can't think down to that level, nor do I want to try.

And, if there aren't any "native" California pols out there, perhaps I'd have a chance if I ran. Be nice to make some useful difference...

Jon (Don't worry - I'm used to it getting screwed up, and it took California four tries to get it right on my driver's license! It's already confusing - I'm a Scot with an Irish moniker...)

No, this is a chapter forum for chapter business. State laws and legislation are chapter business. Someone trolling around adding nothing to the discussion is not chapter business.

What's the point in having a forum if people like you just censor anything you don't agree with? This would be an awfully boring forum and nobody would ever get anything solved if everyone agreed on everything or if you just deleted or edited the posts you didn't agree with. Your attitude goes right along with the state you live in.

PurpleCherokee said:
What's the point in having a forum if people like you just censor anything you don't agree with? This would be an awfully boring forum and nobody would ever get anything solved if everyone agreed on everything or if you just deleted or edited the posts you didn't agree with. Your attitude goes right along with the state you live in.

I'm deleting these posts because when you started trolling my forum, it took away from the family friendly atmosphere NAXJA used to have.

The point of this forum is chapter business...pictures, meet and greets, events and runs, local-type help...legislation that might affect us.

PurpleCherokee said:
Just keep deleting... hahahaha

Oh, you are soooooooo cool.

Maybe, now just maybe, if you stuck around long enough and volunteered as much time in the last almost 3 years that Phil has you can be as cool as he is and be a chapter President. Then you can decide what stays and what goes. This is a legit thread that you have brought nothing to, please respect our forum rules and our moderator.

Phil I still love fuzzy underpants and accessories (!) and hope you have some for me. . ..

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bryan - Precisely.

@Purple - for starters, you're in Muddy Roads, Mizzourah. While what happens out here may eventually affect you, it won't for a while. One thing I do remember about the Ozarks - they don't follow California very closely...

For those of us out here, it damn sure does effect what we're doing. When I wrote the Committee, I told them that this is a thinly-veiled punishment against three sorts of people:

1) Vehicle Enthusiasts - we drive them because we like them.
2) Working Poor - we drive them because we can't afford anything better.
3) People who can't find anything new that they do like as a suitable replacement.

I then proposed other options for addressing the emissions issue, and closed with stating my willingness to discuss the matter in greater depth (it's worked before, here and elsewhere.) And yes, I did answer the form letter I'd gotten back as well - expressing my pleasure at his stance (it helps to give them the pat on the back once in a while) and letting him know I'm at his disposal for discussion. Only Senator Cox has gotten back to me (and with the form missive at that,) but it still will help to be reasonable and to give the pat on the back. You have to know how to work with these people...

Meanwhile, shouldn't you be dealing with MWC issues instead of Sierra?

From California Senator George Runner:

----- SNIP -----

Dear Mr. Kelley:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition to Assembly Bill 3053, authored by Assemblyman Dave Jones (D-Sacramento), which requires vehicles 15 years or older, except for pre-1976 cars, to undergo annual instead of biennial smog checks. This bill was amended on August 22 with language that is almost identical to AB 616 (Jones) of 2007.

I opposed AB 616 and would have opposed AB 3053 as well because it would double the cost of complying with the smog check. These regulations are burdensome and simply make it impossible for older vehicles to comply.

AB 616 failed to pass the Legislature while the amended AB 3053 was not heard by any committee before it missed the August 31 deadline to be passed by the Legislature. You may monitor the status of bills related to this issue at www.sen.ca.gov/runner.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future regarding legislative issues of concern to you. It is an honor to serve you in the California State Senate.

----- SNIP -----

As I mentioned before (and just finished typing out and sending,) be sure to thank your legislators for their time and explaining their views. It does help - if someone is working for a pat on the back, be sure to give them the pat when they do deserve it.

Anyhow, that's two people on the committee that have opposed the bill, and I'll be sure to post any other replies that I get from the State Senate if/when they come in.

Back