• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attn: Anyone in the I-80 Corridor in the Foothills

Hey Guys,

So my father and I are going to be installing an RE6111 4.5" kit (I know, I'm buying the full leaves in the next year or so) on my 1996 Country later this week. I can have it up on stands for like 8-9 days before I have to take it back to school after my spring break. In case our combined mechanical skills/tools available are too limited (mine more than my dad's), I have a 12 pack of Newcastle, Guiness, or the equivalent with somebody's name on it if they'd be able to assist. I live in Colfax and I'd also be willing to pay for gas. I just wanted to put this post up just in case. Thanks a bunch, hopefully I'll be able to get and out wheel with everyone soon.

Colin

Colin, when were you planning on doing this? And when are you planning on leaving town? My finals are this coming week - start Thursday and finish next Tuesday - but I might be able to cruise on out like Tuesday afternoon the 23rd and give you a hand. I've got a little mechanical experience. If you've got it put back together by then, I'd be down for a shakedown run to Prairie City.

I'll risk hijacking this and ask you, where do you go to school at?

Phil Weeks said:
Colin, when were you planning on doing this? And when are you planning on leaving town? My finals are this coming week - start Thursday and finish next Tuesday - but I might be able to cruise on out like Tuesday afternoon the 23rd and give you a hand. I've got a little mechanical experience. If you've got it put back together by then, I'd be down for a shakedown run to Prairie City.

I'll risk hijacking this and ask you, where do you go to school at?

I'm at Santa Clara U., double-majoring in Poli Sci/History. I have a final paper due tomorrow and another due Weds, then I'm driving home either Weds eve or Thurs. I was planning on doing most of the work this coming weekend as my dad isn't working. If it's still not running by Tues or Weds of next week then I'd be down for you to have a crack at it. I'd also love to take it out wheeling next week when I get it finished. I also want to get some time in on the hill at Boreal, working/boarding (I instruct up there over breaks from school). But yeah, if all things work out I'd like to meet up with you next week. Where are you going to school?

Colin

Last edited:
you instruct at Boreal huh? so does my 17 year old brother, his name is Ryan. But he just broke his collarbone,so you won't be seeing him up there much :laugh3:

I have some coil-spring compressors at my house that is right near Bear River high school, 10 minutes from Colfax. I'm in Michigan for school, but if you wanted to borrow I'm sure something could be arranged with my parents.

mad maXJ said:
you instruct at Boreal huh? so does my 17 year old brother, his name is Ryan. But he just broke his collarbone,so you won't be seeing him up there much :laugh3:

I have some coil-spring compressors at my house that is right near Bear River high school, 10 minutes from Colfax. I'm in Michigan for school, but if you wanted to borrow I'm sure something could be arranged with my parents.

Awesome man, I'd appreciate that. I'm not sure if I'm going to need them as I think I can droop my axel enough to slide the coils in, but I'm glad I have the option if needed. What's your last name by the way? There's a pretty good chance I know your bro cuz I've worked up there for 4 seasons, and I may know some people you know if you went to BR. I love this whole "small world" thing. :)

96inprogress said:
Awesome man, I'd appreciate that. I'm not sure if I'm going to need them as I think I can droop my axel enough to slide the coils in, but I'm glad I have the option if needed. What's your last name by the way? There's a pretty good chance I know your bro cuz I've worked up there for 4 seasons, and I may know some people you know if you went to BR. I love this whole "small world" thing. :)

The coil compressors should really help. I know I liked having them when I installed 3" coils on my old xj a few years ago, they you don't have to disconnect everything. You can also rent these at Kragen or Napa for free sometimes.

I'm in Foresthill, give a holler if you need anything welded. It's a pretty simple kit, you shouldn't have any problems.

Coil compressors are nce to have, and they are like 10 bucks at Harbor Freight.

CRASH

CRASH said:
I'm in Foresthill, give a holler if you need anything welded. It's a pretty simple kit, you shouldn't have any problems.

Coil compressors are nce to have, and they are like 10 bucks at Harbor Freight.

CRASH

Crash, would be able to install my no-slips? I have 1 for the 8.25 & am looking at getting 1 for the dana 30 in the next month or so. I'm also looking for some rock sliders either homemade or from a manufacturer. I was just wondering if you or if you knew someone who could do this for cheap, at least cheaper than Central 4 Wheel, etc. Please advise. I live in Citrus Heights. Did you get Phil's front gears set up already?
Troy

steinjeep said:
Crash, would be able to install my no-slips? I have 1 for the 8.25 & am looking at getting 1 for the dana 30 in the next month or so. I'm also looking for some rock sliders either homemade or from a manufacturer. I was just wondering if you or if you knew someone who could do this for cheap, at least cheaper than Central 4 Wheel, etc. Please advise. I live in Citrus Heights. Did you get Phil's front gears set up already?
Troy

I have a really heavy duty set of rock sliders that are ORGS copies I can sell you. Minor scratching, on the bottom, but very heavy duty. I'll have to talk to the owner to see what he wants for them.

I really, really can't take on any more work right now. I've been wrenching on other people's junk for too long and my Jeep has become a storage unit.

CRASH

CRASH said:
I have a really heavy duty set of rock sliders that are ORGS copies I can sell you. Minor scratching, on the bottom, but very heavy duty. I'll have to talk to the owner to see what he wants for them.

I really, really can't take on any more work right now. I've been wrenching on other people's junk for too long and my Jeep has become a storage unit.

CRASH

I understand about you taking on too much work. Do you know of places around Sacramento that will install lockers for cheap? Let me know how much the sliders are? Are they weld or bolt on?

steinjeep said:
I understand about you taking on too much work. Do you know of places around Sacramento that will install lockers for cheap? Let me know how much the sliders are? Are they weld or bolt on?

You could do either, but I'd suggest welding them. If you buy them, I can weld it for you.

There is no reason you can't do the No-Slip right in your driveway. They are very easy to install with minimal hand tools. As a bonus, you'll learn how to service your axles at the same time.

CRASH

CRASH said:
You could do either, but I'd suggest welding them. If you buy them, I can weld it for you.

There is no reason you can't do the No-Slip right in your driveway. They are very easy to install with minimal hand tools. As a bonus, you'll learn how to service your axles at the same time.

CRASH

I agree with the install. I'm a little worried because the previous owner of the xj installed the no-slip in the 8.25 & broke something from the no-slip so I'm not sure what I need and I don't have instructions. I heard it is pretty easy to do though. I'll have to check out the instruction when I get the dana 30 locker. Do you know if there is much difference between the lock-rite, no-slip, and ez-locker? I have non-disconnect axles and no manual hubs. My xj is just for wheeling & driving to and from the trail.

steinjeep said:
I agree with the install. I'm a little worried because the previous owner of the xj installed the no-slip in the 8.25 & broke something from the no-slip so I'm not sure what I need and I don't have instructions. I heard it is pretty easy to do though. I'll have to check out the instruction when I get the dana 30 locker. Do you know if there is much difference between the lock-rite, no-slip, and ez-locker? I have non-disconnect axles and no manual hubs. My xj is just for wheeling & driving to and from the trail.

The install on all three of those is pretty much the same. The critical item on the lock-rites is gettin the springs and guide shafts set properly, and not dropping them down into the case while you are slipping everything in.

CRASH

CRASH said:
The install on all three of those is pretty much the same. The critical item on the lock-rites is gettin the springs and guide shafts set properly, and not dropping them down into the case while you are slipping everything in.

CRASH

Is the no-slip more civilized on the road than the lock-rite or ez-locker? Would you get a ez-locker or lock-rite? Are they just about identical? On all of them, I don't need to mess with the ring & pinion right, just the spider gears?

Hey, Where are you with this repair/build-up? I just logged on after being gone for awhile, (I work nights and weekends during winter) I am in Grass Valley and could bring over my 90 with the same kit you have. Let me know.
[email protected]
Dave :cheers:

Back