• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attention XJ_ranger

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
It has come to my attention that your daddy never taught you how to paint an axle so I thought this might be of interest to you.

First you must start with a clean housing. While it does ensure a clean housing you do not have to have it professionaly sandblasted, a good dose of degreaser and a pressure washer will suffice. It is very important to get all the old grease / oil off the housing to help the paint adhere:
IMG_0010.jpg

Next you may either suspend the axle or lay the axle on the ground (protective ground covering is a must if you do not want to paint the concrete). If you choose to you may also paint the axle while it is in the vehicle but you will find it easier to reach all areas of the axle if it is removed. Apply paint (I use a spray paint can, however you may use a spray gun if you choose), I spray at least three coats (with no less than twenty minutes between coat):
IMG_0011.jpg

Next, after waiting for the first side to try, turn the axle over to paint the other sides that you were unable to reach, again I spray at least three coats:
IMG_0013.jpg

After the final side drys you are done and you no longer have to paint the embarassment of unfortunatly colored axles:
IMG_0017.jpg

Note: Applying stickers to the axle housings is purly optional however be advised that they do increase axle strength and add power.

I hope to have helped.
Sequoia

What is that goofy looking wing? Looks like it might be impersinating a brace.... nah most NORMAL people use tube or some form of channel.... couldn't be a brace.. could it? :wow:

Ghost said:
What is that goofy looking wing? Looks like it might be impersinating a brace.... nah most NORMAL people use tube or some form of channel.... couldn't be a brace.. could it? :wow:

Nope. It's a SPOILER!

Your "truss" (and I use the term loosely) needs speed holes.

Lawn Cher' said:
Your "truss" (and I use the term loosely) needs speed holes.

Yea but the NAXJA sticker quadruples the strength so it's OK!

red91inWA said:
Nope. It's a SPOILER!

wrong again...

I heard it's the newest gas mod to do in California...

It's an environment friendly mileage improving device known as a "Land Sail".

Increases your mpg by 10-20mpg with a good tailwind.

results may vary with headwind.

get yours today!

Captain Ron said:
Meh.

That's only on the *long* tack. :D

--ron

I thought you couldnt go to the short tack now though :D

No GS, you got it all wrong...

You cheated and painted it all assembled...

Step 1 is dissasembly -
IMG_3836.jpg

then prep with brake cleaner and remove all grease...

lay out individual pieces for paint and spray a primer close to the final color over all parts -
IMG_3940.jpg

then assemble smaller parts onto assembly, and place on jackstands in a closed garage with a VERY small airflow in and out, to ensure proper adhesion of enamel.

IMG_4193.jpg

mask off brake rotors and other surfaces that you wish not to paint, and prime the entire assembly with a color CLOSE to your finished product -
IMG_4209.jpg

should look something like this -
IMG_4213.jpg

note the shafts are being primed as well...

Then begin the topcoat - about 1 hour inbetween coats, more light coats are better than one havy coat...

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4225.jpg

I applied probably 4 total top coats of "ACE Rust Stopper Enamel" in "Cat Yellow" to the front axle.

after completion, make sure to install in the vehicle and take a few pics before driving and collecting dirt, bugs, and other road derbis on the front axle...

IMG_4342.sized.jpg

IMG_4344.sized.jpg

Also take care when wheeling not to bump your axle into rocks, stumps, trees, roots, small children, trailers, or fire rings for fear of scratching that wonderful top coat.

sadly, my front end has been tagged with some other colors recently - destroying my once beautiful paintjob...

now traces of "Infantry Blue" and "Philthy Phil Green" are seen on my front axle allong with the many rust spots from where paint has been worn off from rocks hitting the axle at high rates of speed, on the highway on the way to the mall... and a few deep gouges that I dont understand, could be my neighbor with a chisle taking paint off and making it look like the axle had been drug over a rock...

XJ_ranger said:
now traces of "Infantry Blue" and "Philthy Phil Green" are seen on my front axle allong with the many rust spots from where paint has been worn off from rocks hitting the axle at high rates of speed, on the highway on the way to the mall... and a few deep gouges that I dont understand, could be my neighbor with a chisle taking paint off and making it look like the axle had been drug over a rock...

Justice has been served..............
th5best.gif

Back