• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atlas transfer and aw4 auto

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
So I already posted something about this the modified section and that was a mistake. Im posting here because a lot of you wheel in the same places I do (Sierra) and have Atlas tranfer cases already. I have an auto trans and talked to Atlas and they thought the 3.8 would be the way to go, I was thinking the 4.3 or even 5.0. They mentioned that the 3.8 was better suited to the auto, but I don't know exactly why it would make a difference. Any idea of the reasoning behind that?

One thought is that we don't have a clutch to push in when we want to stop. Also, there is the torque converter that can make up for lack o gear.

You know my vote.

I run 35s, 4.88s, and a 4:1 TerraLow in the Tcase, and want more gearing with my auto.

But, I only do rocks and I have a D44 front with 1/2 ton brakes. I dont remember having issues with the D30, but its been awhile so I dont remember.

I would say a 4:1 is the minimum I would go, but everyone has a personal preference.

4.3...you'll want the lower crawl. Only sucks when you want to go fast. X2 on the 4 speed. Check pirate for some used cases before you wait for AA to build you one, me thinks they are 6+ weeks out.

I have some atlas shifter (cable & direct) parts in a box that your more than welcome to pick through if you need anything. And some 1310 yokes for an atlas if you need spares

I have the 5.0, AW4, 5.13s and 37s. I love it for everything except trying to stop or go super slow when dropping off ledges. It just out crawls the brakes. Climbing it awesome though.

but 4.3 would get my vote with the auto if I did it all over again.

There is a 3.8 for sale locally. Super low miles, like less than 1k. PM me for details.

I have the 3.8 in mine with the AW4. While it may not be super low for the rocks it still beats the heck out of the 242 I took out. Plus it's in a daily driver that may see the occasional use in sand, mud or snow. So I wanted the ability to spin the tires with a little more speed when in low range. Even with the 3.8 I still have to stand on it the brakes pretty hard to get my Explorer discs and stock d30 brakes to stop it (which will soon be replaced w/1/2 ton d44 brakes up front), that's even after I replaced the stock ABS crap with a later model's dual diaphram booster. A 3.8 plus 4:88's and 35's can just about over power stock brakes. So far tho I'm happy with the 3.8.

maybe they are overstocked on 3.8s and need to move product?
the website says the 4 spds are on hold for re-design?

Last edited:
maybe they are overstocked on 3.8s and need to move product?
the website says the 4 spds are on hold for re-design?

that is old news. they are done with the redesign. today i was told my new 4 speed is "supposed" to ship this thursday! :loveu:

You putting the 4 speed in an XJ? Atlas was trying to talk me out of doing that.

yup, it is going into my red p.o.s. replacing a box for rocks doubler & d300.
my heep is on tons & 42's, 14" ori struts, 3 link front & i am currently building the 4 link rear.

Back