• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

At a crossroads with the Jeep

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
Since the Jeep was demoted to non-daily driver status about a year ago, it has spawned a problem.

The transmission is going out, big time.. I can not drive it unless its in the "3" position and even then, its very skiddish.

When its in "D", its warmed up, and im going around 45-65, it will "slip" out of gear and act like it is in neutral...

It has been going from bad to worseover the last year, and now, it does it as soon as it is warmed up...every time.

I drained the fluid, and it was black (burned) and replaced the filter and put in the highmileage tranny fluid, made sure it was at the right level, and it still does it.

So today I took it to Aamco and they say it needs a tranny rebuild ($1700).

The Jeep is worth prolly around 3k, so I suppose that is not an option (IMHO)

One option is to rebuild it myself, and another option is to get another tranny from a member of the board, the classifieds, another Jeep, or the Junkyard (depending on what I find).

Right now, both the truck and the Jeep are on my parents name (its just smarter $ wise, and im still a dependent for now - 22 yo) but I pay it. Both vehicles cost 250$ every six months...

Either way I play it, ill probably deinsure it untill I get it fixed, because no matter what way I go, it will take a long time to get it done, especially with school coming up (one more year of school + 40 hrs a week)

So, I have these options:

1. Pay the shop to rebuild it Cost = $1700
2. Rebuild it myself, would take a long time, but it would be a good learning experience Cost = ? whatever a rebuild is
3. Buy another used tranny and put it in Cost = 500+ + a pretty good amount of time
4. Take what I want off of this Jeep (lift, axles...etc) and buy a new Jeep Cost = ???

Also, how many of you guys would reccomend I get a third opinion (I already had another shop say it reccomended a rebuild around 6 months...

Sorry for the loooong ramble, I hope it makes sense...

I'd get another used tranny. Forget the rebuild and find a unabused used one, the junk yards are loaded with them around here.

I don't know how Aamco is anywhere else but I wouldn't let them work on a lawn mower, much less something you depend on. Biggest crooks in the business.

BTT

MG_43 said:
I don't know how Aamco is anywhere else but I wouldn't let them work on a lawn mower, much less something you depend on. Biggest crooks in the business.

X2 on aamco
If you go the pro route use a jasper reman. We've had both engines and trannies in ours and they have worked out well.
I however would go the boneyard route, roughly two hours to remove it from the jeep in the boneyard, another two hours to remove yours, two to three to reinstall it.

I got a used tranny for $300 from an 88 to go in my 89. It took me & a friend 1 day to pull it out & 1 to put it in, in my driveway. (Sat & Sun) First time ever pulling a tranny besides when I swapped motors a year ago. Aamco is a ripoff.

Back