• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Asking to Borrow: Fresh Air Respiratory System

SeeingSpots

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

I'm getting ready to paint my rig with some really nasty hardener. This stuff is 76% isocyanate by volume and will jack you up really quickly if you don't have proper respiration. 3m half masks ain't gonna cut it for what I'm using. Haven't used this stuff in many years; and last time I did, it was at work with a massive enclosed downdraft booth and pressurized suits.

If any of you guys own or have access to a fresh air system, I'd be your super-best friend forever if I can borrow it for an afternoon. Dinner. Cases of beer. Free body work. Painting. Whatever you want. I just really don't want to die or not be able to breathe (totally not kidding).

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Last edited:
I use a cpap machine with a nasal canula and a long long hose. I set the machine outside. I even like to use it when welding. It keeps the fumes out of the hood and the glass from fogging. I picked up a used cpap for $40 on craigslist.

That is actually a good idea. I went to go buy a respirator from home d pot the other day and didn't make it there. This way you would never have to replace the filter.

I use a cpap machine with a nasal canula and a long long hose. I set the machine outside. I even like to use it when welding. It keeps the fumes out of the hood and the glass from fogging. I picked up a used cpap for $40 on craigslist.

That is a really good idea. Isocyanates can get into your bloodstream via tear ducts too, so I'd have to find a CPAP machine that has a full face mask. I'm just wondering where I can get a medical grade cannula hose that is 30+ feet in length.

I've got a neighbor/friend that wants me to paint his H1 with CARC. If you've never worked with CARC before, it's a bitch to mix and apply; and it, too, has some really harsh VOCs that can kill you.

Hopefully if I can find a CPAP machine, the CARC job will pay for it. Budget is next to nothing at this point. Hence why I'm using one of the most volatile carcinogenics known in the industry to paint my rig. lol

Jim

Jim, i simply used a filtered mask when i did mine.

Then again, that could explain a few things!

Hey John,

The Gillespie paint/xylene mix isn't whats toxic (I think that's the combination you used), but I'm going to be adding some synthetic alkyd enamel hardener and a flattening agent to decrease the drying time, give it some extra durability, and UV protection.

Gettin all fancy...lol

Last edited:
AHH, thats where we differ. I learned just enough to "look" like i knew what i was doing.

Look fwd to updates.

Nahh...from the photos you posted you did a damn good job for your first spray. Very respectable. And with a $30.00 Harbor Freight gun no less!

Back