• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Artec inner C gusset or Iron Rock?

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
I'd be very interested in reading any informed opinions of the relative merit of the Artec inner C gussets versus the Iron Rock gussets for a Dana 30. To my eye, the IR product looks better, i.e., less bulky, and I'm not really sure if the Artec product provides greater strength. But, ultimately, maximum strength and protection against bending is my top priority. Any thoughts?

Artec
5EA68547-1714-42A6-9D7B-6B11721A64D5_zps2ofd8vsx.jpg

Iron Rock
414BB31C-A1BC-4D23-94F8-55B31B5917AA_zps9lepeslz.jpg

I think just looking at the pictures would tell you the Artec ones are stronger, they're press braked box pieces rather than fill in gussets.

But it depends on whether you want to spend the money and what you're using the axle for. I ran a D30 on 33's and beat on it and never had a knuckle issues, my brother ran the same axles on 35's and never had a knuckle break.

I'm going out on a limb and thinking that an LA guy who is looking into gusseting his Dana 30 might be planning to go fast with it.
If that's the case, Artec C gussets & truss. There are lots of good Dana 30 truss kits available but when I can, I like to keep parts out of the same company so I'm more sure they'll work together.
Going fast flogs the crap out of things. If a '30 is the axle you want to start with, I'd truss and gusset it right off the bat.

Thanks for the thoughts. I will be trussing with the Artec truss, and probably sleeving the tubes as well. I'm not sure it matters if the gusset and truss come from the same manufacturer.

For the record, I bent the C's on a D30 rock crawling on 32's. In July I replaced the bent axle with a new-to-me axle that was pretty straight, and moved up to 33's at the same time. I took the rig on just one wheeling trip with the new axle and tires, and bent the C's again. It may be that my foot is heavy on the gas or something, or it could be that I've just had bad luck with D30's, but that's really neither here nor there. If I'm somehow doing something "wrong" I'll likely do it again. I just bought another axle -- my second replacement axle in two months -- and I want to make the thing bombproof before I have it regeared and install it.

Here's a picture that shows the camber that developed over just one wheeling trip.

E3E716FD-7554-41DD-868A-40D0C170028C_zpsyfpmw5aj.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive.
Yeah, truss & gusset. Inner or outer sleeves as needed.

Do not forget about Poly Performance..

It appears the IRO gussets will help prevent the C itself from bending, but the Artec parts will provide much more strength in the C with respect to the axle tube.

You must have bad luck with 30's. I beat the crap out of my D30 for years on 32's without a truss, then finally trussed on 35s. Never bent anything and never had any C-gussets.

FWIW, I installed the Artec gussets on my D30, and had some significant fitment issues. It took a lot of grinding to get them to fit the way they're supposed to. There was major inteference with the coil spring, and I think that if you weren't paying close attention, you could screw yourself out of ever being able to replace the ball joints. And on that note- remove the ball joints before welding the gussets on. I was too lazy to do so and the grease literally boiled out of them.
Ultimately, these are really beefy gussets and I'm happy with the end result, but the fitment out of the box leaves a lot to be desired.

I know these truss kits are really only like $200-300, but then hours and hours of prep and welding.

Wouldn't the jump to a beefier axle really end up being close to the same cost after you factor in that even free labor costs time.

But what I mean is the actual axles are still the weak point even if you make the tube stronger.

And that is a LOT of welding.

But what I mean is the actual axles are still the weak point even if you make the tube stronger.

And that is a LOT of welding.

This is the thread you are looking for: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015773 but no, strengthening the housing isn't a waste of time.

OP: That's some impressive camber :yelclap: I'm looking at the same options as you right now for my D30 buildup, and I really like the artec lower gussets but I'm going to mount my trackbar to the inner C (a la 4643) so neither the IRO nor the upper Artec gussets will work without modification. My plan was to basically copy what I like about both of them and just build my own as closely as possible.

Which means boxing in the lower gusset (out of three separate pieces instead of the nicely bent single piece from Artec or Poly Performance) and making an upper gusset that's large enough to leave rooom for the DOM sleeve and corresponding bolt, and extends as far down the inner C as possible.. Basically do something very similar to what whitexj98 posted.

bigger is better

i get to replace an inner C on 4643 because we didnt truss enough ;)

Back