• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aro Crosslander

The look like a rover clone but still cool anyway, my question is what in the heck would brazil know about winter salt conditions in the north american region. I could see those puppies rusting out faster than a 72 Subaru....

RichP said:
The look like a rover clone but still cool anyway, my question is what in the heck would brazil know about winter salt conditions in the north american region.

I remember when these were still built in Romania and had Renault engines. They were... Agricultural. Build quality was what you'd expect from the ex-Eastern bloc trying to manufacture something of this nature with zero budget and using an engine that was not renowned for its reliability - IIRC, the unit was derived from the craptacular Renault 12 sedan, and I say that as a French car enthusiast.

I could see those puppies rusting out faster than a 72 Subaru....

That's certainly what the Romanian-built models did, and we were all better off for it. Only ever saw a couple, and the owners didn't have much good to say about them. I'd assume build quality on the Brazilian models to actually be better, assuming they're manufactured locally and not just assembled from knocked-down kits. Sounds like they're using the Chevy 4.0 V6 as well, which should help. Could make a fun toy but for what they cost I'd rather build up an old Land-Rover - better parts availabilty, and the swap to the Rover 3.5-litre V8 really makes them go if done right.

Edit: looks like they are building them from CKD form. That should be *interesting*.

Back