• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are Rebuilt ECM / PCM / ECU Any Good?

nope, 2000+ xj's have a distributorless ignition. I tried using a 2000 ecm on my 98, misfired like you wouldn't believe, but it did run, haha!

So, the answer is no. You need a 96-99 ecm.

I just wanted clarify my above post, if you have a 97, you need a 96-99 ecm.
If you have a 2001, you need a 2000+ ecm for the distributorless ignition.

www.car-part.com

put in your year, make, model, click search.

at the bottom of the page will be a list of page numbers, one page will have an * next to it, click on that page.

start calling vendors with the ECU you need until one is willing to do $60 shipped. Times are hard, someone will make the deal.

Done.

And it stores NO codes and has no plug for a OBD scanner hook up. Trace down those O2 sensor wires. They are your problems.

maybe not a universal or standard obd scanner, but the renix does have 2 diagnostic ports that were used by a dealership scanner. a snap-on 2500 can also connect.

the 2 yellow diagnostic ports are located at the rear of the relay center. the ecu doesnt store codes, but "live" data can be observed from the scanner.

And it stores NO codes and has no plug for a OBD scanner hook up. Trace down those O2 sensor wires. They are your problems.

As 89XJ stated, I can plug my DRB in to my renix rig and have a pretty good idea whats wrong - simple error codes like "NO o2 GROUND SIGNAL" ;)

I was inclined to think the same thing! Perhaps I'm missing something, but why would a failed driver in the ECM cause O2 sensor fuses to blow?

I was inclined to think the same thing! Perhaps I'm missing something, but why would a failed driver in the ECM cause O2 sensor fuses to blow?

If you're blowing the O2 sensor fuse, its either wiring shorted to ground or a short inside the o2 sensor itself. The fuse just provides power to the heater circuit inside the O2 sensors. No connection to the signal sent to the ECM.

OK.....so here is the final verdict!!! (Drum Roll...)

The problem was fixed by replacing the ECM!!! I took it to another mechanic first....who spent two weeks trying to figure it out. He couldn't....and he didn't think it was the ECM either. But he couldn't figure it out.

So I finally found a used ECM (an exact replacement)....and voila...it worked!!!

And Jeepster_259 was absolutely correct - it DOES NOT need to be reflashed. it was plug and go....even passed NJ inspections with flying colors. So don't waste your time with those rebuilt ones.....as I was also told. You can find a used one that works just perfectly.

Just thought I'd share how the problem was finally solved. Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Back