• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are all 87-89's dana 44's?

outlander said:
How do you know someone didn't swap a 44 in before it ended up in the yard?
I've always heard (and speak from experience,see last sentence) that the 44 only came in xj's with the tow package....I don't think it was a separate option.Not saying your wrong or I'm right....just saying.
For what it's worth the 44 I have sitting at my house that I personally pulled from an 87xj,had the factory tow package.

I believe it could be had without the tow package as an option.

Binder, dont be afraid of finding replacement shafts for an XJ D44, they are identical to TJ D44 shafts so they will be easy to replace, much easier than shafts from a Scout.
The trick will be finding an XJ D44. They didnt come on every 87-89 XJs with a tow package. It'll be more likely you'll find one in an 87 but still not very common.

Eliminator89 said:
Semi-floater has the wheel hub as a part of the axle shaft. If the axle snaps, the wheel exits the vehicle.

Full-floater has a large hub in the middle of the wheel. There will be a series of bolts holding a cover plate to the end of the hub. You remove the plate and can remove the axle shaft while the hub and wheel remain holding the truck up. Most Dana60 axles are full-floaters. Snap a full-floater axle and the vehicle doesn't lose its wheel.

If you have such a hub and axle arrangement on your Scout, its been put in there by someone other than the factory.

Half marks.

C-clip is a "semi-floating" axle - the inner end bearing rides on the differential carrier, as with a "retainer plate" SF axle. However if you lose a C-clip, you lose the wheel (since that's what holds it in place.) Also, the wheel end bearing rides directly on the shaft, so if the shaft bearing surface is toast, replace the shaft.

"Retainer plate" style has a pressed-on wheel end bearing, a "floating" inner end, but the shaft is held in place by a retainer plate bearing against the seal and bearing. The wheel bearing does not ride on the shaft, but it is pressed on, so there's still some need for a shaft in good condition. Breaking a shaft, you still have better than even odds of keeping the wheel in place until you can replace the shaft.

"Full-floating" shafts don't bear weight of the vehicle - and bearings don't ride on them or are installed on them. The inner end is carried and borne by the differential carrier and bearings, and the outer end is screwed to a hub. The shaft may be removed entirely, and the wheel will stay put. The wheel end bearings are carried in the hub, and don't have anything at all to do with the shaft.

The first two sorts are semi-floating axles. A "non-floating" axle shaft would be a shaft that bears the weight of the vehicle, and bearings at both ends ride on the shaft (either on a hardened and ground journal, or on an inner race pressed onto a size-controlled section.)

5-90 said:
Half marks.

C-clip is a "semi-floating" axle - the inner end bearing rides on the differential carrier, as with a "retainer plate" SF axle. However if you lose a C-clip, you lose the wheel (since that's what holds it in place.) Also, the wheel end bearing rides directly on the shaft, so if the shaft bearing surface is toast, replace the shaft.

"Retainer plate" style has a pressed-on wheel end bearing, a "floating" inner end, but the shaft is held in place by a retainer plate bearing against the seal and bearing. The wheel bearing does not ride on the shaft, but it is pressed on, so there's still some need for a shaft in good condition. Breaking a shaft, you still have better than even odds of keeping the wheel in place until you can replace the shaft.

"Full-floating" shafts don't bear weight of the vehicle - and bearings don't ride on them or are installed on them. The inner end is carried and borne by the differential carrier and bearings, and the outer end is screwed to a hub. The shaft may be removed entirely, and the wheel will stay put. The wheel end bearings are carried in the hub, and don't have anything at all to do with the shaft.

The first two sorts are semi-floating axles. A "non-floating" axle shaft would be a shaft that bears the weight of the vehicle, and bearings at both ends ride on the shaft (either on a hardened and ground journal, or on an inner race pressed onto a size-controlled section.)

I stand corrected, scouts have the "retaining plate" style, and this has gotten me home with a broken rear axle shaft once when I was 45 miles away. If I would have had the c-clip style, it would have taken a trailer to get me home. Now, to keep this "XJ" oriented, could you see the plus side of adapting one of these axles for you xj if you had plenty of scout axles on hand? plenty of backing plates,brake shoes,drums and springs? I measured tonight and the difference between the xj and scout rear axle is about 1 1/4 inch. Just some fab/welding and I could jump from a dana 35 to a dana 44....

Ray H said:
Binder, dont be afraid of finding replacement shafts for an XJ D44, they are identical to TJ D44 shafts so they will be easy to replace, much easier than shafts from a Scout.
The trick will be finding an XJ D44. They didnt come on every 87-89 XJs with a tow package. It'll be more likely you'll find one in an 87 but still not very common.

I made a call tonight after this post and checked and there is one at this yard with the 44 in it. I can pick it up for $50, for now, time is now pinched(had another vehicle break down tonight in the cold) so I'm probably going to just drop the dana 35 in tomorrow to get this rig on the road and try to fix the other rig also. Maybe I'll plan on going after the 44 in the next couple of weeks, if I don't use it, I'll probably be able to sell it easy enough.

MoFo said:
How is this XJ tech?

:laugh: Trying to make your rig bullet proof isn't xj tech:) . Just trying to consider all my options MoFo before I dig in and do all the work. Know anyone that might be looking for a ford nine inch with 4:56 gears and a locker??? I might have one for sell after this weekend. I'm pretty sure it was custom made.:cheers:

binderbart said:
I made a call tonight after this post and checked and there is one at this yard with the 44 in it.

Im surprised that the boneyard boneheads know which XJ has a D44.
When I got mine, they had no idea. They kept trying to sell me a rearend out of another 87 XJ that was easier for them to get to, I kept telling them "I want THAT ONE" they kept saying "THEY"RE ALL THE SAME". They had no clue that one was a D44 and the other a D35.

My '88 Laredo with factory tow has a D35 with an LSD. Search the forum, find out how to tell the difference (dozens of pics available) and enjoy the hunt.

binderbart said:
maybe I'm refering to it wrong, to me , a full floater is a axle, that if you snap a axle shaft, it will stay put and not slide out like the horseshoe clip chevy axles. maybe semi full is the correct wording.

I think so. A full floater, as I understand it, is one in which the hub and bearing are entirely independent of the axle shaft. Look at a one-ton truck (or a 3/4 ton Ford), or at the front end of any of your Scouts, and you'll see a full floater. Unbolt the cap, and you can withdraw the axle shaft without disturbing the bearings.

A great option for flat towed vehicles.

If the hub is part of the axle shaft it is a semi-floater, period. Full-float means the axle shaft plays no part in carrying the load of keeping the hub in place. The housing, spindle, or whatever, supports the hub, not the axle shaft.
In the US, in general, full-floats are only used on 3/4 ton trucks and up, exceptions off the top of my head are early 60's and back Dodge Power Wagons (Dana 60) and semi-floats used in some early 80's 3/4 pickups and vans (all makes).

Tow package or not, it really doesn't matter. They only were installed on 87-89's. Just look underneath all of them for this --

standard.jpg

Or in my garage for these --

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Ray H said:
Im surprised that the boneyard boneheads know which XJ has a D44.
When I got mine, they had no idea. They kept trying to sell me a rearend out of another 87 XJ that was easier for them to get to, I kept telling them "I want THAT ONE" they kept saying "THEY"RE ALL THE SAME". They had no clue that one was a D44 and the other a D35.

Yep, and if they did know the difference they'd charge you an extra $50-$100 bones...That's why you need to find a "Pick it Yourself Type JunkYard".....

outlander said:
How do you know someone didn't swap a 44 in before it ended up in the yard?
I've always heard (and speak from experience,see last sentence) that the 44 only came in xj's with the tow package....I don't think it was a separate option.Not saying your wrong or I'm right....just saying.
For what it's worth the 44 I have sitting at my house that I personally pulled from an 87xj,had the factory tow package.

I'm not tryin to start an argument, and I know you aren't either. But Its too unlikely that someone hunted down a Dana 44 to swap under their 87 (coincidence) XJ and then let it hit the junkyard without sellin the dana 44.

It is probly more likely to find them under tow package XJs, but i dont think there are any guarantees. (we're talkin about Jeep in the 80s...remember)

-Tim

Muad'Dib said:
Not to hijack, but i found someone GIVING AWAY a Dana 44 from a 71 scout 800b. Is this a good score?

uh... anything free is a good score....at least thats how i look at it....maybe thats why i have a garage and a storage unit full of jeep crap

-Tim

Back