• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

April get together--Uwharrie

Hey guys! Guess what? I FINALLY got a good CB AND an antenna setup!!!!!!

:party:

Mark,can you bring the SWR meter again? I hope all goes good this time. A trucker that lives across the street from me gave me a good CB,and told me to pitch the POS antenna I had. He said it looked more like a cell phone antenna than a CB antenna. Guess that's what I get for buying it at K-Mart :laugh:

Arrgh :doh: so that can only mean... we have to listen to ya while we're driving too

I knew I should have put that stereo project on the front-burner.

1st prize for trail-talk went to Mark's (daughter?niece) up at Tellico last fall: "CAN YA HEAR ME NOW?" 2 minutes later "HEY CAN YA HERE ME? ARE WE LOST?" LOL that was cute...no one else got a word in edgewise for the Hot Mike up front.

Of course I wasn't much better... LOL "leave me room, I havta get on it" or coming down 2 "clear a path, I got no brakes" (people in front cringing in fear)

Hey I try to keep motor mouth quiet but you know how
10 year olds are ;)
and no problem on the SWR meter
Mike,maybe we will have time to really use it this time.

I 'm going to bring the family with me and just make a
camping trip out of this one and my wife can meet
the guys she gets tired of hearing about so much.
She says it nice to put faces with names.

Oh yeh, about for got, if the campground is full
can we share a camp site with some one,preferably
close to the potty house.(beggers can't be choosers
but it doesn't hurt to try:) )

I will be there and I think Jeepspd431 will be there as well. From reading some of the previous posts, the rally point is the Outpost around 0930 hrs. Is this correct?

We will leave Fayettenam around 0800 and it wil put us there around 0930.

I was planning on making this trip, but it looks like my plans sucked. Now plans are to change my gas tank, which apparently didn't like that last trip to Tellico. Hope yall have fun, wish I could go!
Dale

I'm not gonna wheel Uwharrie this year til i put on my neew crossmember and rockrails. when your riding stock, you need to know when to start taking precautions. but I would love to ride along for a change. if anyone doesnt mind a passenger, id love to ride along. i can be anywhere anytime to meet ya cause im close.

The tax man clipped me for close to 5 grand yesterday, so I need at least one weekend with no big expense. My windrock trip this weekend will have to be postponed. Since Uwharrie is less than an hour from the house , guess I'll go down there and play around this weekend. Is there a specific time and meeting place? I will be at the Eldorado about 10a.m. sat. morning.
The beer situation down there is pretty relaxed,I have always had it at my camp site (right off the trails not at the campground) and have never been bothered.

Well.....

It looks like I'm not going to make it that weekend. Easter weekend is bad for me! However, I will be up there the weekend of the 26th. I will be staying at Arrowhead the 25th and 26th! I know of 4-6 other jeepers going that weekend from here. I hope to see some of you out there if you are close by. BigWoody are you still working on a 5.0 V-8 swap? Hit me back channel if you are. I want to hear more about it! [email protected]

Re: Well.....

Originally posted by Ghost , BigWoody are you still working on a 5.0 V-8 swap? Hit me back channel if you are. I want to hear more about it! [email protected] [/B]

After gathering a 5.0 from a 99 explorer,C-6, and only days from getting the atlasII, I bagged the idea. I had a customer who wanted to buy the whole set up for much more than I had in it. Although I love my XJ and love to do mods to it, first and foremost, I'm a salesman. I'll sell anything to anyone if the price is right, I make it a habit not to fall in love with things. As a matter of fact I'm giving serious consideration to selling my XJ and building my wifes ZJ.

I see!

You going to be around the 26th? Would love to see the xj and buy you a beer or something!

Holy Crappers Mudman!

Them hills were a wee bit slick this weekend. Who ever it was said Uwharrie was easy :eek: wasn't up there this weekend. Liquid dust makes for interesting 4wheelin, but sucky camping. Glad we brought dry firewood from the house...

Steve and Mike made it up from GA, Ari from VA, Big Woody, Mark, Tim & Andrew, Chris, and I from NC. Pretty sure we had 8 XJs on the trails. Plus BigWoody's buds Mike & Jim in their 'big' Chevys...

Thanks to BigWoody for the tug... next time I'm up there, it'll be with my spooled 44 rear / front 30 locker/4.56:1s, a couple more inches of lift, fresh mudslingers on the back, and a big tranny cooler....all the important fluids are draining right now.

The only carnage I think we suffered was Mark's tie-rod and I got a new "Cat Back" on Daniel trail (nothing left but the cat, and the muffler got chucked in the back) Sounds nice ;) I awoke this morn to a flat rear, and found a 2" sheetmetal screw stuck in the tire LOL the neighbors prolly :bawl: when I fired up the compressor. I am sure once the mud gets rained off our Jeeps, some will find fresh dentage.

Hope y'all that travelled had a safe return trip!

A follow up...Tim's LR taillamp found it's way around a tree...

Also it may have been a holiday weekend thing, but the CGs were packed! Karen & I got there at +-2PM Friday...Arrowhead was 100% so we went & found a site in Badin Lake CG. Mark got the last site in that loop.

In future, we may want to reserve a block of sites in Arrowhead, a spot in the group camp, or stake out one of the large primitive sites either along the FS roads or up on the trail. Reserve USA is our friend for confirmed USFS campsites.

I have a site reserved for this weekend. Hope it dries out some between now and then! Any sugested trail to hit with 31" tires and a rear locker?

One thing about Uwharrie is it drains well... if it isn't rainy between now & then it'll be dusty next weekend.

with 31" and a locker (& good brakes) they' re all yours... Loop it to go down all the abusive stuff we attempted going up. If too easy, turn around & go back up. Not good to do alone though...there are lots of holes and snags....they didn't de-ball it much...and folks wallowing it out kept it a lot of fun yesterday.

Remind me and I'll send a map w routes.

Next time, I will catch a ride with someone else if it is that wet. I have to talk to the wiffy about a few more upgrades :D . It was embarrassing to be pulled up the hill. Glad to see such a turnout.

Woody, I am going to email you back channel about the tread lightly in Cary.

Big Woody, Thanks for the pull up the hill.

Yep! We made it home alright! :D It was a lot longer drive than I expected it to be,but it was worth it. We left out from the Eldorado Outpost at 5:30PM,stopped at the McDonald's at the Lowe's Motor Speedway exit,gassed up and we rolled in around 10:30PM. It was a good trip for all,except Tim's taillight :laugh:. I had the most troubles going up one of the bypasses @ Kodak. I heard a couple of comments after the "hammer-down" approach (which did finally get me up and over,BTW) "You drove that thing from Georgia? And you're 'wheeling it THAT hard?? I love it!!!" What else do they expect from a recent graduate of the "Woody's 4-wheelin' School"???? :lecture: Sooooo........any proposed dates for a ride next month......????? :D

Well, I made it back to a computer, albeit the GFs in Winston-Salem. Took the long route home and swung by Andy Zuber's place(Carolina Rock Shop). Helped him prep a 390(bored 360) to put in his CJ-5. Also managed to spray the Jeep down enough to keep from getting my clean clothes dirty from getting in and out. So far I haven't found any damage, 'cept the one scrape on my rock rails that I already knew about. I'm fearing some damage on my passenger side though 'cause i remember hitting something going around Kodak, but not finding any scars. Time will tell. Glad to see everyone made it back safe and with minimal damage. Take it easy

Ary(with a "y" ;))

Yeah... smashed up a taillight pretty good... but whatcha gonna do.. shit happens. It was pretty fun, and we probably would have crawled all over that stuff if it was dry.

I have about 40pictures I'll load up sometime... have to find a place to load them too. Also, Arya... Did/can you upload any of the video footage you got? Let me know, Tim

Ary'01XJ said:
Well, I made it back to a computer, albeit the GFs in Winston-Salem. Took the long route home and swung by Andy Zuber's place(Carolina Rock Shop). Helped him prep a 390(bored 360) to put in his CJ-5. Also managed to spray the Jeep down enough to keep from getting my clean clothes dirty from getting in and out. So far I haven't found any damage, 'cept the one scrape on my rock rails that I already knew about. I'm fearing some damage on my passenger side though 'cause i remember hitting something going around Kodak, but not finding any scars. Time will tell. Glad to see everyone made it back safe and with minimal damage. Take it easy

Ary(with a "y" ;))

Hey all, we made it home ok also.
We had a great time too.
Woody, thanks for the help at the camp in the rain.
and Mike thanks for the spare tierod.
thank goodness for people with spares.
I'm going to start collecting spares my self
now that I have a parts rig.
Its just great to fellowship with good people,
and do something you like to do together.
Thanks everyone.

"You drove that thing from Home And you're 'wheeling it THAT hard "
Hey, I want to say something about the guys that drive thier rigs
to the trails and then really wheel them hard.
You got my respect for one, I'm too chicken to even try it,I wheel pretty hard but for those that dont know I trailer mine everywhere.Maybe its a true trust that thier XJ isn't going to let them down or maybe its just plain craziness or people like taking chances, I dont know
but you Guys got my vote and you know who you are.

Back