• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone with body color bumpers and corners paint them black?

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
My silver 2001 Sport has body color bumpers, corners, and door moldings. The paint on them has seen better days, and I'm sure after more trail use it will only get worse. I've been toying with the idea of painting my bumpers/corners/door moldings/flares and the bottom edge of the rockers under the doors either semi-flat black, or a textured dark gray metallic color. That way if they get scratched in the future, I can just paint back over them.

Has anyone else done this? How does it look? Post pics if you have them!

I have a 99 gunmetal, and was thinking of doing the same thing... Much easier than trying to match the paint. Especially for the bumpers....

If you're going to paint over the silver anyways, you might as well paint over it with a testurized rubber spray... won't scuff, etc... That's what i'd do if i was painting over the matched body colors. --Chad--

I painted the bumpers black on my white 91 limited. Also the grille and HL doors. Next are the rockers (when I replace them) and the fender flares. The all white with gold trim just didn't do it for me, now it's white and black as trim is now black and pinstripes too.

I did mine, sorry no pics...I did from rubber molding down, flares, and bumper ends......I used Krylon paint...think it was a camo. flat black...I think it looks good in contrast to the white body color. I cleaned everything real good, gave it a few light coats, blotted any runs with a piece of masking tape, let it dry and resprayed. My wheels had the protective finish on them that was yellowing and peeling, I took to them with a wire wheel and removed all the coating, buffed out the parts I wanted to stand out and painted the rest, E-1 said it was gonna look $ucky, but when I finished they liked the look, looks better than B-4. PM your e-ml and I can send pics of wheels.

I would use some of the paints made for painting over plastic. The problem with standard paint is that it gets brittle and does not bend. If you flex the rubber, the paint pops off.

I used Dupli Color bed liner on my ’91. I painted from the rubber molding down including the finder flares, front and rear bumper. I’ve had it on for the last 6 months and its worked great. I think that the bed liner has enough of a rubber/plastic base that it will flex and not crack like regular paint. BTW If you roll it on it comes out thicker and more textured, spray can comes out thinner and smoother.

What color is the plastic underneath? Mine is black, I've scuffed the hellouta them and......they're still black. Maybe just wire wheel all the paint off and call it done.

Coyote - if I were to spray that Duplicolor stuff, would it have a glossy appearance, or would it be kind of matte? I'm not looking for a lot of texture, but I don't want it to be shiny either.

Duplicolor and Krylon both have paints to be sprayed over plastic.....the one I used(Krylon) is flexible and has a matte finish. I wasn't concerened about texture, the plastic was fairly smooth so thats the finish I got. Make sure what you use is OK to use on plastic....the first one I tried never set up right 'cause it was on plastic so I had to remove it, wasn't a big prob. cause it didn't set up, just a waste of money.

Krylon Fusion is the stuff made for plastic, I shot my trim and looks new! It is about 5-6 bucks per can. Be sure to clean really well before applying and spray in light coats for the professional look.

:viking:

nosajwp said:
Coyote - if I were to spray that Duplicolor stuff, would it have a glossy appearance, or would it be kind of matte? I'm not looking for a lot of texture, but I don't want it to be shiny either.
Its not really glossy or mat, more like a semi-gloss. If you want it glossy just put some Armor All on it. It will shine up real nice. The stuff holds up great, I’ve bounced tree branches off of my front bumper and its still there.

I have a few pictures, but they are hard to see. Black trim on a black body doesn’t stand out. I can’t post the pics here, but if you want to see them PM me with an email address and I’ll send them to you. I didn’t bother priming before I painted. I washed everything good and then wiped it down with MEK, let it dry and painted over it. The Dupli Color has a definite rubber base to it and seems to hold up to the weather better than the original plastic parts (door handles, mirrors, grill, etc.). Make sure that you ware rubber gloves and watch where you are spraying. The stuff is hell to get off of your hands or anything else for the matter. Ask me how I know ;) It hasn’t yellowed/whitened, chipped, cracked or flaked yet and I don’t foresee it happening anytime soon. Where this stuff really shines is the areas that normal get chipped and scratched like nerf bars, door edges and the front grill. The smartest move I’ve made was to paint my grill, front face and bumper. The texture of the paint hides all of the nicks and chips from the gravel roads nicely. The beauty of the deal is that if I ever chip or scratch it again all have I to do is run to Wal-Mart, grab a $6 can of paint and spend a couple of minutes fixing it.

Back