• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone with 2 33" or smaller mounted XJ tires/wheels I could borrow?

4WDXPRT

NAXJA Forum User
Crunch called me last week looking to borrow my 33s...I sold them on Friday. Anyway I've got to get an emissions done on my Jeep as well which I hadn't even check on...but now I've got 37s and that won't work on the emissions machine. Crunch and I are in the same boat although he may have found a set to borrow already.

So if anyone has just two 33" or smaller (215s will work) on Jeep 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern I could sure borrow them for this Saturday.

A six pack of your choice will be the reward. This comes up every two years and it sucks.

Thanks,
Randy

I have a set you can use they are 33's on wheels tire don't have much tread but will work for you I live by Ken caryl and wadsworth let me if that works for you

Thanks Randy

Be careful going too small with the tires. 33" should be just fine, but 215's could cause problems if you're geared at 4:56's or lower. Engine RPM's would be pretty high raising combustion temps and emissions in comparison to the speed being read by the emissions operator on your speedo versus what the dyno is showing for speed. Some emissions operators are savvy to this and will turn you away if your rig is squatting on OEM sized tires in the back because they've seen failures in the past. (Pulling up with 37's on front and 215's on back is certainly gonna raise some eyebrows.... :laugh3: )

IIRC, when dropping to 33" tires from my 35's (speedo corrected for the 35's) I noticed about an 5-8 mph difference.

This past year, I borrowed a set of 32's and failed miserably, then borrowed my neighbors 33's and still failed, but only by a little - NOx was too high, HC was walking the line. Then discovered the cat had been hollowed out by the prev. owner. So, I still think I woulda failed with the 32's and a good cat, but it'd been close with the 33's.

HTH.

The last time Discount Tire on Havana mounted up a set of 235s on some stocker wheels they had...I still have a cat and some how it passed at the Aurora station on Havana. Hopefully it will be the same. I need to pick up a new gas cap because I've failed just because of that before...they thought it wasn't holding pressure or something.

I borrowed 33s from a guy at work. I had to swap rears with mine and then back when i was done.
No problem passing until the gas cap. Went and got a new one and had to run the whole test again. Next time I'll just grab a new cap on my way over.
Good for two more years though :laugh3:

JEONLYEP said:
Move to Kansas. I take it that you are talking about vechical inspections. We've been talking about moving to Colo, but not sure that I could aford to get the XJ to pass. :wierd: :dunno:

Daryl

Daryl,
He's talking about emissions testing.Some counties test the vehicle under load,on a dyno.They wont allow larger than 33" tires on the dyno for safety/liability reasons.Here in Colorado Springs/El Paso County they dont use dynos(emissions testing in El Paso county is going bye-bye at the end of 2007) and as far as I know there are no "vehicle inspections" in Colorado- did away with them long ago.What areas are you thinking of possibly re-locating to??It would sure make it easier to wheel with us although we'd have no one "defending the eastern front" any more :laugh3:

planefixer said:
Daryl,
He's talking about emissions testing.Some counties test the vehicle under load,on a dyno.They wont allow larger than 33" tires on the dyno for safety/liability reasons.Here in Colorado Springs/El Paso County they dont use dynos(emissions testing in El Paso county is going bye-bye at the end of 2007) and as far as I know there are no "vehicle inspections" in Colorado- did away with them long ago.
So it's done county by county? Some how the cat is gone from mine?

planefixer said:
What areas are you thinking of possibly re-locating to??It would sure make it easier to wheel with us, although we'd have no one "defending the eastern front" any more :laugh3:
Where ever a job presents it's self. But it won't be untill after Randy graduates high school. He's going to be a freshman, so it's a ways off. The eastern front is gaurded untill 2009. Know of anyone looking for a good plumber in 2009?

But once he's gone, we're outta here! Maybe by then there will be a replacement to take over defender duties. Getting kinda loanly here at the fort.

You're all coming out for the Kansas Krunch, RIGHT?

Daryl

Last edited:
Back