• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone painted the stock black "fading to grey" flares?

ARMOR ALL
I used to work at Autobell, worked with armor all for a year and it did great. have been using armor all on my jeeps for a year since then, it has worked great on my cherokee and wrangler. might take a couple of coats depending on how faded they are. you will have to do this often also, so maybe that magic eraser thing works. i have never used it though.

Go to lowe's paint dept pickup a can of pentrol it's a flex additive for house paint also need a foam brush. Put a little of the pentrol in a small container and brush it on your faded flare wait about 5 minuites and take a lint free cloth I used an old tee shirt and lightly wipe your flare. Just do one flare at a time this stuff works great.

Ol' Red said:
ARMOR ALL
I used to work at Autobell, worked with armor all for a year and it did great. have been using armor all on my jeeps for a year since then, it has worked great on my cherokee and wrangler. might take a couple of coats depending on how faded they are. you will have to do this often also, so maybe that magic eraser thing works. i have never used it though.

Armor All just masks the issue. I suppose you could say the same about paint, but at least it's permanent. Armor All just washes away...

Fusion and other paints might work too well, especially with older rigs where you don't want the flares to look shiny shiny. Duplicolor I believe makes 'bumper plastic paint' (or similar name) that's designed to paint this sort of hard semi-porous plastic. I used some about 6 months ago on TJ flares and it came out looking pretty good without looking too good (if you know what I mean).

Ive actually been doing this for the last 3 years ive had my jeep. Only had to touch it up once. They still look great! No fading or chips if you take care of them.

1. Sand stock flares and door bumper thingys lightly with 220 or lighter grit sandpaper and clean with a mild soap to get off any old dirt or bugs.
2. Tape off fenders using blue painters tape and cover remaining exposed area with newpaper.
3. Prime Fenders with a grey, not white, primer by either Rusto or Krylon.
4. Hit it with some Adhesion promoter (brand doesnt matter)
5. Go to your local hardwear store and pick up some Krylon Fusion. (You have a choice of flat, semi, or gloss...) Ive gone with the semi gloss and it looks like factory.
6. Hit the first coat really really lightly so you can still see primer, then slowly build it up coat after coat allowing at least 10 mins to dry between coats.

I promise you, if you do this right, you will never have to paint your fenders again.

ALSO for the front and rear bumper get Duplicolor High Temp engine enamel... It works wonders on steel, and even your stock wheels if your looking for the black out look.... but write ups on that are easy to find.

GOOD LUCK.

im with you surf i painted mine with the fusion but didnt prime i used one of those sanding sponges than wiped down with laquer thinner than painted looks great 7 months later. After doing my mouldings i drank about five rum/cokes and did my door handles and the eyebrow over the license plate, rear bumper too. i did do the multi coat deal too prolly like 5 coats

Ol' Red said:
ARMOR ALL
NNNOOOOO Don't use this crap!
The best thing I've used is called 303, Awesome stuff!
I started using when I serviced hot tubs and would use it on the sun baked vinyl covers:sunshine:
Seriously, try it. Works magic on tires after a little scrubbing with a nylon bristle brush

i sprayed my fenders with Krylon Fusion black and it went great untill i unpeeled the tape. seems as though my masking job wasn't so great... any tips on removing this crap from your paint? btw my xj is black

thanks

rise from the grave old thread!

Last week I did the heat gun on my very light grey door trim and am satisfied with the results. Was more so until I came on here and saw even better results with paint. I attached a pic, if you look closely you can see it's not even but it is way better than before, though it is still mottled. This pic is indoors, in the sun it's lighter, but as I said much better. I did it on the corners of bumpers also to get some of the blue out. (SEE BOTTOM OF POST)

However if the Krylon fusion is as easy as it sounds I'll do that.I'm wondering, on a black cherokee sport will the krylon fusion gloss match the body paint close enough to look like the painted door trim like on the limited? If not then what should I use for OEM sport look, semi-gloss or satin? I've seen differing opinions on that.

thx!

Heat Gun result, same day:
20110701133742437.jpg

Last edited:
I did mine in Krylon Fusion. They had faded some after a year but haven't faded more in the second year. It's cheap and easy. Some painters tape, some newspaper and a couple cans will give you enough to do two coats on the door trim and bumper end caps. I even painted the 3 wiper arms with the rest of the 2nd can.

I gave up on the Mr Clean erasers, and am currently working on painting the flares, using adhesion promoter and some Duplicolor bumper/trim paint. Too hot to work on them in the sun, so I pulled them off the Jeep. I'd like to have words with the engineer who designed those brackets...

I had crap luck with the Fusion. The first two attempts looked like ass, and while the third came out well, it faded within months. I've used the bumper paint before, and I'm hoping it works as well on the flares and plastic as it did on the bumper.

The Fusion paint I tried was a gloss, I think- it just says "black". The bumper paint is a matte finish, judging by the look of it.

I used "Bondo Restore Black" which I bought at Kmart last march, and they are still black. You have to tape off the painted surfaces, and wear gloves unless you like black hands. It is a gel, and I put on two coats because one looked streaky. This stuff really stays black, and other than just regular cleaning I didn't prep at all. Ace Hardware also sells it on their web site.

Back