• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone missing an XJ

bigpimpinben said:
my vote is for taking the parts!!!!!!

Think of this

Someone steals your XJ in the middle of the night.....you get a phone call a couple weeks down the road.....The police say they found it for you but theres nothing left on it because all the parts were stolen

Then how would you feel !!

MY92XJ said:
Think of this

Someone steals your XJ in the middle of the night.....you get a phone call a couple weeks down the road.....The police say they found it for you but theres nothing left on it because all the parts were stolen

Then how would you feel !!

An excellent point.

I concur. Stolen, dumped, or otherwise abandoned rigs belong to someone. They invested the time, money, and effort to build the rig, they should at least have the comfort of recovering most of the parts after their rig is recovered.

all i have to say is good recovery and clean up. its a shame that happend to the xj it looked like a good trail rig. i hate car jackers

TRSCobra said:
I think I'd cry if I ever saw my jeep like that.
x2

:bawl:
ddeadserious said:
shoulda taken some of the parts. someone was being stupid and left it for someone to take care of. you took care of it, you shoulda gotten something from it.
:wstupid:

Right, just like we should charge folks to pull 'em out of ditches during the winter. I love the "So, what do I get?" mentality.

- Jay

Last edited:
I've had a few people over the years offer me money for getting them unstuck. Twice on the trail by people who flagged me down as I was passing on an adjacent trail, and once for a car in the ditch in the snow. I'd never "charge" someone for that, but it's a sign of class to offer a stranger a little cash for saving you the time and expense of a tow truck bill.

KarlVP said:
That is TOTALLY WRONG!!!!!

Sure, the rest of the parts on that rig were in damn good condition. Everything: (axles, tranny, engine, xfercase, driveshafts, etc...)

BUT it is STEALING. Despite the fact that that rig was dumped in the woods, whethere it was stolen, or dumped by the owner, one can never know... IT IS STILL THEFT OF SOMETHING THAT ISN'T YOURS!!!!!

If you want to do it legally, you can call the police, let them know where it is, send in a VIN, and apply for a title. The process is FREE, and if nobody has reported it stolen after a certain period of time (30 Days in WA) then the vehicle becomes yours.

That is the right way to do it. If I EVER catch folks stealing parts off of "abannonded" rigs, I call the police.

It isn't yous, so don't mess with it.

Right on Karl! I wasn't aware of that title application process, cool info. And yes, that is the ONLY way to go about comondeering(spelling?) an abandoned rig.

Adam

fubar XJ said:
I've had a few people over the years offer me money for getting them unstuck. Twice on the trail by people who flagged me down as I was passing on an adjacent trail, and once for a car in the ditch in the snow. I'd never "charge" someone for that, but it's a sign of class to offer a stranger a little cash for saving you the time and expense of a tow truck bill.

My Club (Timber Tamers) charges folks for getting pulled out. It's funny too after helping someone on the trail. After we are done, we tell them "Um, our 4x4 club charges for this" some folks get a little miffed, until we tell tham that it is only a dollar.

On club runs, even if you have to winch yourself out, you get charged a dollar. It's called "Tow Fees" and at the end of the year, we put all the members names in a hat and draw at name at the club Christmas party. That lucky person gets half the tow fees and the other half goes to the club.

fubar XJ said:

Exactly. If I was stuck and needed a tug, I sure as hell would open up my wallet in appreciation. That's the way it should work. Not holding out my hand and "ah-hem"ing like the greedy bellhop waiting for his tip. It's all about class.

- Jay

The other crime is the buggers who rolled it down the hill after stealing the wheels. It just blows me away that someone would do that. Sure all the oil drained out, providing grist for people opposed to wheeling.

Wankers.

KarlVP said:
My Club (Timber Tamers) charges folks for getting pulled out. It's funny too after helping someone on the trail. After we are done, we tell them "Um, our 4x4 club charges for this" some folks get a little miffed, until we tell tham that it is only a dollar.

On club runs, even if you have to winch yourself out, you get charged a dollar. It's called "Tow Fees" and at the end of the year, we put all the members names in a hat and draw at name at the club Christmas party. That lucky person gets half the tow fees and the other half goes to the club.

You're a Timber Tamer? You know Steve Franz? We're wheeling buddies from way back, haven't seen him for awhile though. Good guy. I also remember towing a Ford truck hulk out of Reiter a couple years ago with a Tamer, orange Jeep on coils and 38"s. Don't remember this name, nice guy though.

I'm in the Boeing 4x4 club, we do the same thing with "stuck bucks". Every time you require extraction beyond your own vehicle's engine power (winch, tug, "redneck hang" off the side rollbar, etc) or pop the hook for a mechanical problem, it's a buck. Five dollar maximum per trail run or weekend. They all go in the kitty and we raffle them off at the year end Christmas party.

fubar XJ said:
You're a Timber Tamer? You know Steve Franz? We're wheeling buddies from way back, haven't seen him for awhile though. Good guy. I also remember towing a Ford truck hulk out of Reiter a couple years ago with a Tamer, orange Jeep on coils and 38"s. Don't remember this name, nice guy though.

I'm in the Boeing 4x4 club, we do the same thing with "stuck bucks". Every time you require extraction beyond your own vehicle's engine power (winch, tug, "redneck hang" off the side rollbar, etc) or pop the hook for a mechanical problem, it's a buck. Five dollar maximum per trail run or weekend. They all go in the kitty and we raffle them off at the year end Christmas party.

I don't know Steve, he was probably before my time there. I've only been a member of the Tamers for 2 years.

That orange Jeep on 38's is Mark "Dirtball"

We at SJC (Seattle Jeep Club) Have never charged for a "tow". Years back we would go out on the weekends and pull cars outta ditches on snowy days then we would hand them what we called a courtesy card that had the name of the person that gave them a tow and something like "if in the future we need a helping hand we would appreciate the same courtesy"...or something like that. Anyone on the trails would get the same card as well.

Last december my friends xj got stuck wheelin over near maltby and he and another buddy had to leave it that night because they couldnt pull it out and when they came back the next morning every window and light had been broken and the hood was open and some drunk idiots had just started tearin things apart. it really sucks what some people will do to others property and every time i go wheelin i worry bout shit like that happening

alexer03 said:
Last december my friends xj got stuck wheelin over near maltby and he and another buddy had to leave it that night because they couldnt pull it out and when they came back the next morning every window and light had been broken and the hood was open and some drunk idiots had just started tearin things apart. it really sucks what some people will do to others property and every time i go wheelin i worry bout shit like that happening

We usually have a few rigs so we don't end up leaving anyone behind and the trailor queens will let the broke down people trailor it and drive theirs back. That is another reasom wheelin by yourself can bite you in the a**. I would be crashed if some one did that to my XJ. It would be like losing a family member. People go itsa just a hunk of metal. Yeah OK that has hundreds if not thousands of my man hours and dollars sunk into it.

yeah if you have other people thats always good. but alot of guys or girls my age -18- dont always have the option of having trailer queens so i wheel with my daily driver and we try to go in pairs and ive met some guys up at reiter who have been nice enough to flip one of my frineds back over after a bad hill climb and if it break we try to fix it and if not then well we try to get creative... how do you join the northwest chapter?

alexer03 said:
how do you join the northwest chapter?

You already did just by getting on the boards. Becoming a NAXJA member requires annual dues but also opens up the rest of the site. As most here will tell you just the technical advice is worth the annual dues. The comradaree is just a bonus. :wave1: I lurked for a year then bought an XJ and joined up properly. KarlVP has one of those two door Jeep type Jeep things (TJ ?) and we have had Range Rovers, Grand Cherokees, Scramblers and assorted others join us on our runs. Most runs are family friendly but there are also "back channel" runs for the wild ones. Take a look around and relax.

KarlVP said:
I don't know Steve, he was probably before my time there. I've only been a member of the Tamers for 2 years.

That orange Jeep on 38's is Mark "Dirtball"

Yeah, I do remember his name was Mark now that you mention it.

Our stuck-buck policy is strictly voluntary. If you don't want to pay, you don't have to. But if you regularly abstain from paying stuck-bucks, you don't get tickets to the stuck-buck raffle, which is usually over $100.

My club has been really weak this year, too much overtime at work on top of the regular family and other time committments that keep us off the trail. I can't complain too loudly, I'm as guilty as most as far as not getting out wheeling very often.

Back