• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone local able to weld grooves in steering knuckles?

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
I've got the usual grooves where brake pads have worn into my D30 steering knuckles. It'd cost me about $250 to buy a new pair of knuckles online. I've read a couple of writeups on repairing these grooves, and it doesn't seem all that difficult, notwithstanding that the knuckles are cast steel. I think it's worth a shot at a repair before I spend $250 on new parts.

Does anyone know any brake shop, welding shop, etc., around the L.A. area that has competently and successfully done this repair before? Is there a local NAXJA member with experience welding cast steel who can help me out? I have an extra pair of knuckles (also grooved) that the work can be done on, so crawling under the Jeep would not be required.

No experience doing this, but I have looked at the situation and intend to make a run at it on my own knuckles one of these days. I think it should be done with a TIG. It is a pretty small area that needs to be welded. So small that if one were to MIG or stick weld it I think you would be through welding before you ever got the knuckle hot enough to create a proper puddle.

I don't think the cast steel poses any real problems. Lots of folks are welding spacers onto WJ knuckles and I can't recall seeing anyone who has had cracking problems, or any other sort of problems for that matter.

I doubt I am close enough to count as "local" to you, but if you want to drive down to San Diego send me a PM.

Reading the post linked below, I had the impression that precisely preheating the knuckle and having the perfect welding temp were important. Another writeup recommended using a torch upon cool down to ensure that the weld and the cast material cooled down evenly. I'm no metallurgist or expert welder, so this all seemed reasonable to me. (On the other hand, the author of the post linked below clearly overthought the grinding down process, so maybe he overthought everything.)

Anyway, thanks for the responses. Now I feel emboldened to try it myself. I guess I really need to buy a welder!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/xj-tj-zj-front-knuckle-repair-brake-pad-grooves-924713/

yes, proper pre and post heat would be a good thing.

When I welded my 8.8 tubes to the pumpkin, the root pass was some 3/32 7018 (preheat)

Filler stepped up to 1/8 rod

Still running that axle with no problems.

WJ knuckles were done the same way, and never had an issue with the welds
( forgetting to tighten the lug nuts before driving to the Con was a little different story)

If you have a heat blankey, you could wrap it in that to control your cooling rate. just dont slam it in your hatch.

I've got the usual grooves where brake pads have worn into my D30 steering knuckles. It'd cost me about $250 to buy a new pair of knuckles online. I've read a couple of writeups on repairing these grooves, and it doesn't seem all that difficult, notwithstanding that the knuckles are cast steel. I think it's worth a shot at a repair before I spend $250 on new parts.

Does anyone know any brake shop, welding shop, etc., around the L.A. area that has competently and successfully done this repair before? Is there a local NAXJA member with experience welding cast steel who can help me out? I have an extra pair of knuckles (also grooved) that the work can be done on, so crawling under the Jeep would not be required.

I'll be at the house in the morning if you want to do this ;)

Back