• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone know a John Deere dealer

BOB

MWC geezer
NAXJA Member
I may be in the market for a John Deere Mower.
These things are really expensive. (except for rich Farmers...ahem..Tyler)
kind of looking at the X534.
maybe used is the way to go?

If anyone has a friend in John Deere Sales...Let me know please.

Bob

Why do you want a John Deere?
Expensive Green paint is all it is.
Get a Toro.

I got a ten year old Craftsman.
From what I can tell...
JD is easier to remove the deck.
I use the snow plow in the winter.
attaching the snowplow is easier on a JD.

It also has a Locking differntial for hills and snow.

this one has "rear steer" not to be confused with rear a steer.

BOB

I know of a few John Deere Dealerships but its quite a haul for you Bob! Check Craigslist. My cousin bought a John Deere with like 50 hours for $1200 on there.

I know of a few John Deere Dealerships but its quite a haul for you Bob! Check Craigslist. My cousin bought a John Deere with like 50 hours for $1200 on there.

Thanks Aaron....I am looking for someone that can get me the best discount on new or used X534.

BOB

I'm good friends with the mower sales/service manager at the local JD dealer. I'll ask him if he has any deals or leads on used ones.

How much ground do you mow BOB?

The rear steer stuff is a joke in my book. Just more stuff to break and go wrong. If you want a tight turning radius, buy a zero-turn. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised how sharp an ol' fashioned front steer will turn. I know I was. Power steering is another thing that I can't see needing on a tractor that size. Dad has a X320 that he bought new last year, and I can turn it with one finger, no problem.

You can't go wrong with the V-Twin Kawasaki.

Last edited:
we bought a new John Deere at the begining of the season and I am VERY unhappy with it. It is a cheaper/smaller model and we are getting a new mower thsi fall or early next spring depending on the sales they have going. My dad has been running a Dixon zero-turn for over 10 years and keeps going back to them. He is a catankeroius old bastard, alot like you BOB :D, and he swears by them. John Deere mowers are alot like what Sean said, overpriced b/c of green paint. Even teh beefier models that come from a dealer and not from Home Depot are still not that strong/sturdy compared to other manufacturers out there. Now their big tractors are a different story! :farmer:

I like look of my mower, but looks dont make it perform any better..kind of like a hot chick.....she may look good but how is she with maintaining her lawn??? :D

Does Deere still build their own lawn tractors, or are they contracted out? And there's just about no way that I'd ever buy green paint from a big box shop. It might have the same model number on the side, but from what I understand, it'll be a reduced cost model.

I bought a green painted push mower a year ago. Yeah, I know. It's only got green paint on it, it's really not JD. BFD. If I have a problem with it, the shop is 2 miles away, and has folks with working warm brain cells.

I think my grandpa's '73 John Deere tractor is still for sale BOB! :D My uncle wants a lot for it though, its kinda like he doesn't wanna get rid of it. It was completely rebuilt 10 years ago and still chugs along.

I bought a new X304 two or three seasons ago. I have about 75 hours on it...use it on an acre of land.

I got it during "Deere Season" and got a free 16S Dump Trailer as part of the deal.

I have used the living piss out of it and it has been GREAT. I've used it to pull down trees, haul lumber, haul mulch, I moved 9 tons of pea gravel a trailer load at a time, used it as an anchor point, and taken the kids for rides up and down the street...oh, and I mow with it.

I love it. I believe you'd do well getting a new John Deere. I like the 500 series that you are looking at, but it was overkill for my application.

Good luck. I'd turn you on to my sales guy, but I doubt you want to buy in Tennessee and haul it home!

JD is very expensive.

My 20.hp Kohler been a great engine. I give it a shot or two of injector cleaner every other tankful. purrs nicely.
However, in the last year, she been burning a little oil and puffs white smoke when I shut it off. She doesn't leak oil.
I am guessing a head gasket is starting to go bad.

It has 350 hours of operation time. Is that a lot, or no? does anyone know? It is about ten years old.

Maybe I will get an engine overhaul....or replacement.

I use it in the winter plowing snow and don't want it to go bad at that time.

BOB

There are only one or two makers of lawn tractors.
MTD is the biggest.
They make tractors for many "brands" paint and a hood is the only difference.
Do your home work.

There are only one or two makers of lawn tractors.
MTD is the biggest.
They make tractors for many "brands" paint and a hood is the only difference.
Do your home work.

Real JDs aren't. The ones at the big box stores might be. And it's not green paint any more, it's green molded plastic. JIM.

Last edited:
JD is very expensive.

My 20.hp Kohler been a great engine. I give it a shot or two of injector cleaner every other tankful. purrs nicely.
However, in the last year, she been burning a little oil and puffs white smoke when I shut it off. She doesn't leak oil.
I am guessing a head gasket is starting to go bad.

It has 350 hours of operation time. Is that a lot, or no? does anyone know? It is about ten years old.

Maybe I will get an engine overhaul....or replacement.

I use it in the winter plowing snow and don't want it to go bad at that time.

BOB

Is all the other running gear good?

shoud not cost too much to rebuild your kohler. SOme new rings and head gasket would take care of it.

Either that or www.smallenginewarehouse.com may have a brandy new motor for a few hundred dollars. Dad replaced a Kaw on a JD1200 with one from there, was $1K cheaper than the JD branded motor.

His kaw was the 18 horse twin, someone ran it without oil. They are fantastic motor.s

Bob...if the rest of the mower is in good shape, fix the Kohler.....damn good little engine.

Rev

just spoke with a reputable Lawn Mower SHop.

this engine is an aluminum head...so you cannot re-build it.

to replace the engine will run you $1,400.00 to $1,800.00 with labor!!

He said I am better off getting a new one.

BOB

I think i would get a second opinion on the motor with alum. head thing sounds like a sales pitch to me. I would do a honda repower just 2cents

I got a ten year old Craftsman.
From what I can tell...
JD is easier to remove the deck.
I use the snow plow in the winter.
attaching the snowplow is easier on a JD.

It also has a Locking differntial for hills and snow.

this one has "rear steer" not to be confused with rear a steer.

BOB

Talked to my buddy at JD. He said used 534s are hard to find, and with the 4 wheel steer you may not be able to mount a plow.

just spoke with a reputable Lawn Mower SHop.

this engine is an aluminum head...so you cannot re-build it.

to replace the engine will run you $1,400.00 to $1,800.00 with labor!!

He said I am better off getting a new one.

BOB

That quote is wayyy to high.
Check somewhere else.

Back