• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone know a good engine rebuilder?

livinthedream

NAXJA Forum User
So my 1987 renix 4.0 finally is on its last leg. The rings are stuck and it has almost no compression left. So... anyone recomend somewhere that will rebuild it right and get me another 100k out of it? Thanks!

100k? Is this some kind of joke?:twak:

Mines at 342k & still ticking. :scared:Still has the original water pump & all. Only thing I've changed is fluids, hoses & belts lol. I'm doing some motor work for a member here next week.

You really should check out Jeepstrokers.com & find out where they are getting their rebuild kits! I know you can buy a kit with .20 over pistons & rings. It also includes everything you need for the rebuild! Then have a shop put it together the right way. Shouldn't cost more than $800-1000

Well it has 210k on it but it got abused pretty bad by the guy before me and he let it sit for like 2 years. But that's a great idea ill for sure check into that! I was just hoping to stay under 1500 with labor .

I'm sure you can thats a very reasonable price actually. People stroke their motors for $1500. May not be the best but its doable!
I was thinking you could get it done for under $1000 with parts & labor for a stock rebuild. If you would like I'll get you some links for rebuild kits with .20-.30 over pistons.

The thing thats gonna cost the most is the machine work.
Remember if you can degrease your own motor & stuff it will cost you less in the end. Pm me, I'll see what I can do!

You guys are on crack if you think you can get a decent rebuild for $1500 including parts and labor. I was going to recommend a good shop, but thats obviously not what you want. Pull out the pennysaver, recycler, whatever paper you get and find one of those guy who will do it for a grand. 30 day warranty, and its not worth the paper its written on.

I got my engine rebuild at Waynes Engine in riverside. it cost $1295 out the door. seems they did a really good job. I only have about 1500 miles since the rebuild but it is running great.

John I beg to differ. Not that I want to argue but there still is people out there that do reputable work & don't charge a arm & leg.
I know 2 guys that rebuild 2jz's for cheap. 1 guy out of his garage & 1 had a shop. All be it the 2jz would cost more but I payed $2200 & got a complete rebuild with Brian Crower springs & 264 cams lol. I degreased my motor, pulled the head apart & brought it to him.

So yes theres a few guys that can & do perform greatly without charging an ass load.
So with a jeep I wouldn't expect it to be over $1500!

Well, i'm not gonna argue much either. But I do run a shop and I can't do a decnt rebuild for that kind of money?? Out of my garage, sure, but I wouldn't give a warrranty on weekend work either.

I've built a few motors for myself and generally have more than that in parts alone, but i guess those weren't quite stockers :D

Ya I know what you mean John. The guy that built my motor is very good at what he does. The motor went into my old Is300 & saw over 600hp @ the wheels quite a few times & it never missed a beat. The trans on the other hand...:firedevil

I'll find him a rebuild kit...as for a shop/labor hes gonna have to search, unless someone suggests one! I do most of my own work, besides machining! I like to know whats done & how its done. Plus if it fu*ks up it will be on me!
I understand where your coming from though.:thumbup:

Well I am most definitely open to whatever. I do appreciate the feedback guys. i would rather spend a little more and have a strong reliable motor as I plan on keeping this thing forever. I'm not looking for a stroker at all. It needs to pass smog and right now doesn't have a check engine light because the dummy before me tore out the dash. What about a crate, used, or remanufactured engine? If Im gonna spend 2k plus would this be a better route seeing as i need some wiring done too? thanks again!

Jeeperjohn how do I get ahold of russpottenger?

Grease monkey mobile. Mike Finch. We were just talking about a build that he is doing in his shop right now. He does the R&R of the motor. Then he does the tear-down of the block. Then he has Russ do the magic in his machine shop. Then Mike does the build. Long block cost is somewhere in the $1300 range I think and its done right. Mike has assembled plenty of 4.0's. And Mike has some of the best shop rates youll find anywhere. Grease Monkey is located in vista off south santa Fe near the San Marcos Border.

Ya Russ would be a great mechanic to fix it. Haven't heard anything but good things about him,
As for a plan in general, buy a .20 over rebuild kit. It will include everything you need. From gaskets & belts, should come with a water pump & a new stock. It should come with everything!
That way your have a fresh motor with all new parts. It will be like starting @ 0 miles again! That would be ideal. And the kit shouldn't cost you more than about $800-1000 tops, you may even find one cheaper...Talk to Mike Finch or Russ about a rebuild kit with .20 or .30 over pistons. That way you have afresh motor!

Grease monkey mobile. Mike Finch. We were just talking about a build that he is doing in his shop right now. He does the R&R of the motor. Then he does the tear-down of the block. Then he has Russ do the magic in his machine shop. Then Mike does the build. Long block cost is somewhere in the $1300 range I think and its done right. Mike has assembled plenty of 4.0's. And Mike has some of the best shop rates youll find anywhere. Grease Monkey is located in vista off south santa Fe near the San Marcos Border.

Took the words out of my mouth almost lol. Talk to Mike or Russ they will get you what you need!

elite motorsports rebuilt mine. i believe they are in pomona. i have a 6 year unlimited mile warranty on my motor. as long as i keep oil and coolant in it its covered. i paid 2600 for my motor but i also damn near needed evrything under the hood. stock rebuild price was 1300 but i went .30 over bigger cam high flow water pump and just some bolt on goodies that made the price go up a little bit.

Ya Russ would be a great mechanic to fix it. Haven't heard anything but good things about him,
As for a plan in general, buy a .20 over rebuild kit. It will include everything you need. From gaskets & belts, should come with a water pump & a new stock. It should come with everything!
That way your have a fresh motor with all new parts. It will be like starting @ 0 miles again! That would be ideal. And the kit shouldn't cost you more than about $800-1000 tops, you may even find one cheaper...Talk to Mike Finch or Russ about a rebuild kit with .20 or .30 over pistons. That way you have afresh motor!

I would stay away from "kits" unless it's factory mopar (if you are looking for OEM durability). Get as much OEM parts (headgasket, waterpump, etc) as possible. This will raise the price but if it lasted this long.........we just built my neighbors mazda 323gt and mazda rings were $240 a set.

I would stay away from "kits" unless it's factory mopar (if you are looking for OEM durability). Get as much OEM parts (headgasket, waterpump, etc) as possible. This will raise the price but if it lasted this long.........we just built my neighbors mazda 323gt and mazda rings were $240 a set.

Very misleading/false.:doh: Fel pro has a kit for these rigs & they make damn good parts.
I agree stay away from kits that have been thrown together by senseless people! But reputable shops/companies make kits & those are worth looking at.

Back