• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone in PNW have small lift with 35's?

XJOFFROAD

NAXJA Forum User
Next door neighbor is building a xj. Was looking at his RE3.5" lift and thought, "couple minutes with a sawzall, you can fit some 35's under it". Anyone here have a small lift and 35's? I had 5" lift with 35's so I know how that looks.

Its do-able. I'm under 3" with 33's and minor trimming. 3.5" with 35's not a problem if he is willing to do some fab and bumpstop.

My Jeep had 4" of lift and had Bias 33" swampers (larger than most 35" radials). I could have easily fit a 37" radial in my wheel wells.

It also used a full 12" of shock travel on the front (IIRC 5" up and 7" down). And several inches of extra bumpstop in the front.

I did have more trimming than most but nothing extreme by any means.
I also did trim the rear past the pinch seam but this wouldn't be necessary with 35's depending on your suspension set up.

ALL of this is totally dependant on your wheel BS, suspension set up, and amount of trimming obviously.

Michael

I have 33" MTR's which measure to 34" and I'm somewhere around 4".

As Michael mentioned all of this is dependent on suspension setup. My tire clearance issues are caused by minimal backspacing (tire sticks out) and the fact my front axle is pushed forward several inches. For me, modifications like this would be in order.

Going lower or running a bigger tire would be tough because my current uptravel limitation is the front inner fender around the battery-box/ air box area. Due to my minimal backspacing, under full stuff the outside corner of my tire contacts the inner fender/footwell area when I'm at full lock. Alternatively, when I'm at full stuff going straight my tire contacts the forward inner fender air box/ battery box area. So if you center the axle front to rear and run near factory backspacing then I could see you running a 35 with minimal lift.

at near-factory backspacing wouldn't you run into even more clearance issues with 35's?

On the control arms?

at near-factory backspacing wouldn't you run into even more clearance issues with 35's?

No. Not necessarily.

ALL of this is dependant on the suspension set up, trimming, etc.

A narrow 35 will easily fit on a near stock BS wheel inside the wheel well with almost no lift. Yes, you would have more issues with steering stops, control arm clearance, but much less issue with inner and outer fender trimming. This assumes ample bump stops and obviously reduced up travel.

A wider 35 on less BS (which really shouldn't be done on a Stock D30 to begin with, for a long list of reasons) will require much less issues with steering and control arms but will require much greater outer fender trimming.

FTW I had the exact same contact areas as Sideshow with my tires/lift combo.

My brother runs a narrow 32" swamper (over 32" tall) on a 3" lift with stock wheels.

I have seen an XJ with radial 35's on stock rims and NO lift (it needed larger bumpstops) but it was driven this way on the street.

Michael

More backspacing would also reduce the scrub radius which would make hard turns less taxing on all the steering components, something we all need. I've also seen 10.5" wide 33"s on a TJ do great in normal conditions and awesome in the snow. If beadlocks are an option, DIY most likely, wouldn't narrow 35's have minimal drawbacks?

Last edited:
Back