• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have Acid Reflux?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.....DO YOURSELF A FAVOR!!!!!!

Try Alfalfa tablets!!!!!! They are CHEAP....and virtually NO NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS!!!!

Alfalfa provides the body with alkaline to neutralize the acid (much like broccoli - a nod to Ecomike). Once you adjust your diet, look to take maybe 2-4 alfalfa tablets each day.....or play around with the dosage until you get it right for yourself!!!!

My father-in-law was suffering with acid reflux for years! A nutritionist suggested alfalfa - and JOILA!!!!

Even a friend of mine who is a doctor was suffering from acid reflux - I told him and he told me the next day, "Alfalfa is the truth!" He now regularly tells his patients to take it....

Bear in mind, the medical establishment tends to focus on meds....rather than more homeopathic remedies.....which is why you hear so little about alfalfa as a treatment for acid reflux.

Here's an excerpt from an article:

"Alfalfa is commonly added to other herbs for its nutritive qualities. It is also used as a commercial source of chlorophyll. It is highly alkaline, thus making it effective in the treatment of acid related disorder. "
(http://hubpages.com/hub/Medicinal_Benefits_of_Alfalfa)

Other benefits of alfalfa include:

Alfalfa detoxifies the body and alkalinizes it.
Alfalfa is good for disorders of the skin.
It acts as a diuretic.
It balances hormones
Help in the treatment of Arthritis
Help reduce blood cholesterol
Help reduce blood glucose
Help reduce plaque in the arteries that can help prevent heart disease.
Alfalfa can increase the ability of blood to clot after injury; therefore alfalfa should not be used while taking aspirin or anti-clotting medication.
Helps in the treatment of peptic ulcers.
Helps in digestion
Helps the body fights off infection
Helps in constipation, hemorrhoids and gastritis.

I'm willing to give it a shot! where do you get these alafalfa pills? pharmacy or health food store?

I'll def try the alfalfa as well. I take prilosec 20 mg daily and sometimes still need to take zantac or pepsid. 5-6 small meals definitely makes a huge difference. My biggest problem is drinking (probably why I have reflux and ulcer in the first place.) Another biggie is eating before bed. Try not to eat 2 hours before bedtime. Obviously eating causes your stomach to secrete acid to break down the food. If your laying down....where is that excess acid going to travel...? I suffer with that one as well.

I need AA and start working out again...then I can get off meds!!

I was given aciphex in the navy it worked very well. The VA prescribes prilosec. It seems like it works also. I actually have GERD so bad they gave me disability for it. both of these meds keep it in check.

I keep a bottle of store brand acid reducer pills in my nightstand, my car, and my desk at work. I also keep tums in all three as well. I know its really bad when I puke up bile and acid....that's always fun.

I keep a bottle of store brand acid reducer pills in my nightstand, my car, and my desk at work. I also keep tums in all three as well. I know its really bad when I puke up bile and acid....that's always fun.
You're treating the symptoms, not the problem.
Go see a Dr.

Prilosec x2000!!

i lived with "heart burn" for several years, to the point i just didnt care any more.. it was simply "how my system worked".. it was so bad that i couldnt eat a full meal and NEVER drank anything with a meal.. at least once a day i was vomiting up the last of my meal almost instantly.. my esophagus sp? was so badly damaged.. anything carbonated would make instant vomit too.. and i lived with that for 5 years.. eliminating my long-time diet staple Mountain dew, eased alot of my problems so i just jumped on iced tea instead. i was still unable to finish a meal though. i never liked tums or anything like that so i literally never did ANYTHING about it.. it took a new GF who was a nurse to convice me to try Prilosec.. and literally the first day i took it i honestly felt a diference.. i've ben taking it for 2 years now. in the begining i couldnt skip a day but now i can skip it a week at a time before i start to feel the familiar tightening in the stomach.. my system is as close to normal as it ever will be. i can eat all the things that used to cause me trouble but the soda has ben replaced by close to a gallon of water a day.. (lost 30# in 6 months thanx) but to this day i still cant handle carbonation if i have food in my stomach because i to pas a burp is a dangerous gamble whether it will be solid or gas..
it makes me so insane to be dependant on a pill to get thru my day to day life but that goes back to the day i realized i wasnt able to get thru a day WITHOUT some form of recreational substance... i cant stand any kind of dependancy, but i guess its better than puking up my meals like i have an eating disorder..
good luck with the reflux..

Today I stopped taking my Nexium. I found some Alfalfa pills locally and I'm going to give them a try. They taste like Alfalfa.:gee:

i take Prilosec OTC, a pill a day for two weeks, Allows me to go 6-8 weeks without any problems.

Let me know how those Alfalfa pills work and any side effects.....chewing your cud or uncontrolable urges to graze....you know...predictable stuff. If they work and are cheaper. I could try Alfalfa Shakes.:doh:

I'm still undecided. I can tell that I've not been taking my Nexium. I still get a little burn every now and again. I've had uncontrolable urges to leave horse-apples where ever I may be at the time being. It's tolerable but uncomfortable. I'm thinking it may take a bit for me to get adjusted to something different. If I really watch what I eat, I can control it. However, that's the case if I don't take my Nexium. If I'd just give a damn, I wouldn't need to take any meds at all.:rolleyes:

When my wife was pregnant I would get really bad acid reflux at night while I was sleeping.
That was some scary shiet. I would wake up not being able to breath. The acid was burning my throat while I was trying to puke it up.
I would always freak out thinking that I was going to pass out from not being able to breathe then chock to death on the acid. The worst part is not being able to call out for help.
I don’t eat any thing at least 1 1/2 hours before bed now and I do drink a lot of water.

Firstly you have to know the exact symptoms of a particular disease. Then you have to find the cure for that disease. I too came to know that Nexium will control the reflux problems. Anyhow i would suggest that natural cure is the best one to cure these diseases.

Today I stopped taking my Nexium. I found some Alfalfa pills locally and I'm going to give them a try. They taste like Alfalfa.:gee:
So if you burp the pills up would that be like chewing cud like a cow? Not calling you a cow just thought it'd be amusing.

I take Aciphex. It does help. Although I have 5 ulcers. I do need to watch what I eat. Heck even milk chocolate gives me issues. I blame mine on the drinking and worrying I did. Sucks going in with a bleeding ulcer and getting it cotarized. It happens about once every other year or so. Woman loves it when I eat something I'm not supposed too. :passgas:

Back