• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have a gun rack or rifle mount in their XJ?

90Pioneer said:
I don't want to be rude but frankly, it's none of your business why I have it or what I use it for.

It is my right to carry a gun around with me and I will do so if I please.

just trying to help you find what would best suit your needs thas all.

i too am a firearms enthusiest. its my right to carry and i do, nearly all my waking hours.

its my opinion that a short barel (no more than 4.5") carried on a person is the best for personal defence- get a ccw if you dont have already. for me, a long gun in a vehicle is not able to be deployed quickly enough when needed for personal defence. hang on mister armed car jacker, let me lift up my back seat and get my rifle so i can shoot you. doesnt happen. for personal defence, i keep mine closer. yes, cops do carry long guns in thier vehicles, but they retrieve them and keep them within reach when its anticipated that they will be deployed.

for hunting you will want a solid, secure mount that will be fastened to a strong part of the vehicle (like floor or B,C pillars) not to the center consol as it may brake when going over rough terrain. i am fond of the ones that go between the seat.

hth
stewie

I was going to try to get a regular cheap plastic one from Walmart for a pickup's rear window. Then figure out how to fab it up on one of the rear side windows. If you need another solution, I would love to have a M1. When you figure it out, post some pics, with the gun mounted of course.

hmmm, definitly post pics, i got 6 cop cars and was cuffed and pulled out of my car last time I carried a gun in my car that wasn't in a case and under a cover. i was wondering why the cop pulled me over for 50 in a 45 and why he was just sitting in the car when 5 more cars pulled up and guns out. lots of fun w/ your 13yo cousin in the car as well(they cuffed him too). that was with a shotgun that apparently looked like an ak to the person that said i was pointing at cars when it had fallen on the floor and i was putting it back on the back seat(i was going about 3 mi.). I have yet to experience the reaction w/ a handgun but i was wondering what you guys do if you get pulled over w/ a gun on the console? i have had cops go for their gun when i reached for the glove box too fast to get my registration, i can't imagine what would happen if there was a loaded gun next to me.

proguard from indy makes or used to make all kinds of overhaed mounts for police vehicles, i have a few laying around and am waiting on bracket to hold benelli instead of reminton 870, also will have backside bracket to hold one of the m16s. will get pics up when finnaly installed. as a side note i belive big sky(you guessed it) out of montana makes similar units.

teamdescent said:
... I have yet to experience the reaction w/ a handgun but i was wondering what you guys do if you get pulled over w/ a gun on the console? i have had cops go for their gun when i reached for the glove box too fast to get my registration, i can't imagine what would happen if there was a loaded gun next to me.

i have been pulled over while legaly armed and in posession of my Concealed Carry Lisence. here in Utah it is law that when carrying, one must notify the officer that he/she is carrying. usualy they ask you what, where it is and if its loaded (duh, if im carrying it, it would make sence to have it loaded!). i havent been hastled too much yet. shoot, the cop hastled me more for HIS computer saying i was uninsured when i had proof of insurance right in my hands.

I agree, these demands to justify what and why are......tiresome. Thats probably why they live where they do.

I also was looking at a custom bar across the headliner in front of cranium. I have pretty much canceled it due to safety issue.

The cop racks cost $300+ so thats probably out too.

I am pointing towards a rack along floor (horizontal) between drivers seat and door. Plusses are out of sight and quick to deploy. Minus is care on entry/exit and dirt/mud.

Shogun said:
I agree, these demands to justify what and why are......tiresome. Thats probably why they live where they do.
I wouldn't call it a demand. It's just curiosity. I'm also curious why someone needs an M1 to be at easy reach from the driver's seat, but if that's what they want to do...

If it were me, I'd be asking on a firearms forum. Unless I wanted everyone to know I had an M1.

Having said that, the roof is the fastest retrieval and next best is your suggestion of floor. Drop the speed need and you open up better mounting positions.

wacho4 said:
I was going to try to get a regular cheap plastic one from Walmart for a pickup's rear window.

Bad idea.

Get something that will hold the weapon securly in the event of an accident. You do ot want to be smacked in the head with a rifle due to a fender bender.

JMHO-TIFWIW

Rev

Rev Den said:
Bad idea.

Get something that will hold the weapon securly in the event of an accident. You do ot want to be smacked in the head with a rifle due to a fender bender.

JMHO-TIFWIW

Rev
Yeah well i was planning on raelly reinforcing it with the fab work, instead of just shoving it in the crack like it says to do. I should have said that. My uncle did something similar in his old chevy van. Mine would rarely be used, just for hunting really, so theft wouldn't really be a problem. Until I put my sons car seat in I just seat belted the shotgun on the back seat when needed, but that seat is a pain in the ass to get back in and takes up way too much room in an xj.

Back