• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone familiar with forming Kydex holsters?

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Got a sheet and a half from a guy at work. I will be making a press to form the Kydex around my pistols so I can make two holsters to mount on(jeep) and In(neon) the consoles of my vehicles. Just looking for pointers from anyone with experience.

I'm sure you've already checked youtube.... There's quite a few videos on this.

Best bet is to hit up a thrift store (or two) for a cheap toaster oven. Although if the sheet you need is too big, you will probably need some cookie sheets and a full size oven.

Get a good quality oven thermometer so you can keep an eye on the temperature. The smaller the resolution the better. I would check Smart and Final or an on-line bakery supply.

One time here at work, we were trying to anneal some large parts made of Delrin at 400*. The dial was no where near calibrated.... The oven got too hot, the Delrin melted and dripped onto the heater element and started a fire in the oven. No bueno!

I have yet to play with the stuff, but I've got a pack of 8 x 11 black texture here at work....

I just need to come up with a use for it....

Just a thought, but I would consider making a wooden mock up of the pistols if they are valuable. I don't imagine they could be damaged, but you never know.

Good luck and be sure and takes pictures.... Not just the end result, but of the process as well. I'd love to see how this goes for you.

x2 on pirates outdoor forum. There's a dude named Gil, who's a navy medic, that goes by USMCDoc on there. His gunfukkery threads are famous among that crowd. :) He also happens to be a very nice guy. Pretty sure he did a thread on that. You could also hit him up on email or join and shoot him a PM. I'm sure he could give you some info or point you in the right direction....

I made one. I put the piece I was forming in the oven on an old cookie sheet. Preheated it to 300 degrees. Onec preheated I left it in for 2 min. I pulled it out and with leather work gloves formed it down onto the gun. I pushed a little too hard the first time so it went back in for 2 more min and it reflattened out so I could try again. I posted a picture in the 'Important' thread a while back. Its so easy I bet even you can do it ;) I would reccomend not pushing too tight along the top of the slide as the front sight will hang up a bit. I mounted the piece I made on the lower most part of my dash/center counsel so that the handle is slightly in front of my transfer case. That way its accessable when Im driving, not bouncing around in the center counsel or under my seatbelt in my quiethide..

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245757534&postcount=40509

Last edited:
Back