• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 California Emissions runs terrible at startup

RockinX-J

NAXJA Forum User
Just purchased my next build. Ran terrible when I got it.
Previous owner:
put 4 hole neon injectors in
Had cold air intake
Installed banks HP manifold
Let it sit for 8 months

Had a CEL for rich condition Bank one and two, both sensor ones

First things first... replaced cold air with factory air box, removed neon injectors and replaced with known good from another 2001 4.0 (WJ). Still ran bad at at startup, but once it goes to closed loop, it is happy, and runs as it should.
Replaced both oxygen sensors Bank one and 2 upstream, same thing.... rough until it goes to closed loop.
Anyone else experienced this and can give some pointers?
I have another XJ (2000 non cali emissions) and could swap the computers, but I'm thinking it wont be the same.
Note: I did find a pinch in one of the O2' s wire, and it was touching the block. I wonder if the exposed wire bouncing off the block could have stressed the circuit in the ECU... but then I think it wouldn't run so good once it warms up if that was the case.

O2 sensors are NTK and NOT Bosch or generic auto parts store junk. Are all the O2 sensor fuses good ?

Make sure none of the wire harness pins are bent, corroded, or pushed back.

I would begin testing all of the OBD engine sensors, and continuity testing all their wire harnesses.

J
Note: I did find a pinch in one of the O2' s wire, and it was touching the block. I wonder if the exposed wire bouncing off the block could have stressed the circuit in the ECU...

Blow O2 heater fuse or relay? PDC under the hood, fuse 17, and relays 7 & 8.
https://fuse-box.info/jeep/jeep-cherokee-xj-1997-2001-fuses-and-relays

Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-1997-2001_en1-fuse-box-diagram.jpg

Back