• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone else have a pointer?

ladywolf

UH-60L Jeep Chick
or a pointer mix? My other half and I adopted one from the pound on post here yesterday. Her new name is Elsie. She's white with liver spots, and she's ADORABLE. She can definitely be stubborn tho.

So far we've found she's semi housebroke. we let her sleep in our bedroom with us last night, and she had one accident, but at least it was on the bathroom floor, so easy peasy to clean. Whenever i see her scratching and sniffin at the floor, she immediately goes outside on her cable, and I praise her for doin her deed out in the grass.

anyone have any good tips for obedience training and things to watch out for as she grows/ages? All i've ever had are mutts. thanks guys.

-Kris

German Shorthaired Pointer?

Best dog I ever had was a GSP-Lab mix. I swear he was part human too. Ridiculously smart, instinctive, protective.

Any hound/hunting dog is bound to be stubborn -especially at first. Mine, we ended up coming to an understanding, we both kind of gave a little bit when it came to being stubborn. I would honestly read The Dog Whisperer's book, its pretty insightful. Cesar Millan is his name.

I carry two pictures in my wallet - my daughter, and a picture of this dog. He died 15 years ago, if that is any indication of how awesome of a dog he is/was.

qq8vab.jpg
is a pic of her

congrats! best of luck with her!

I've got a German Shorthair. As far as training goes, every time you interact with the dog, you are training.

Be consistant. If you tell the dog to sit, it should sit. Every time.

Be fair. Don't give the dog commands that you know it can't follow and then punish him for not complying.

Don't set the dog up for failure. If you leave meat on the counter, don't tell the dog to leave it alone and then leave the room. A dog is just a dog and sometimes he just can't help himself. (I use that excuse myself sometimes)

Looks like there might be some Beagle in there. She may be a runner, if she gets out she might head in a direction and just keep on going a mile or more. Maybe find her way back home again, maybe not. Nature of a Beagle is to get on a trail and stick with it. Pointers and retrievers tend to be rounders, they go out aways and then return on there own (unless they are chasing a rabbit).
Best advice is to get her tired as often as possible. Teach her to lay down, sit and heel as quickly as possible (cheese treats work well). If she tends towards the Beagle, keep her on a tight leash, right next to your left leg, with very few exceptions. It may take awhile, but eventually the training will overcome her tendency to take off in a straight line.
Pointers and retrievers are easier, most love people. Beagles can be bone heads.
I usually teach them "platz" first, German for lay down. Simple command, that they pick up quick, that I use like freeze sucker. Once they get that down pat, I move onto the sit, a more relaxed lay down and heel. Eventually heel, becomes the dominanat command (sit, stand or walk next to your left leg, I'm a little relaxed on from, but not in substance). Your right hand is probably your gun hand, you don't want a dog on that side, reverse it if you are left handed.
Repetition and patience. Good dog or a treat when they do it right.
After she gets settled in, I've had better and quicker results training away from home. After they adapt and become part of the family, a new environment ( a park or a field) often makes them more dependent (pay closer attention to you) after the initial manic minutes with all the new scenery and smells wears off.
Looks like a born hunter, most dogs are happiest if they have a job.
The wide forehead (maybe the camera) the crick in the tail and the stance, says there may be some Staffordshire (or related bread) in there, Breeders often breed in desirable traits, to correct flaws. She doesn't look like a mutt, but a first or second generation attempt to improve the breed some.

Last edited:
shes doing pretty good with sit, we're working on laying down and shaking. she has a fascination with the cat and the cat box. she got her head stuck in it last night, and myself and the other half had to extricate her from it, but other than that, she's been good. i had her in her kennel today from 1100 till just a few minutes ago, and she didnt soil it or anything, so thats good. other than the first nite we got her, she hasnt gone in the house at all, but i keep a fairly close watch on her to see when she does the hunt for a place to use the bathroom then outside we go.

the other commands we've used so far are "outside" and "inside" for her to go out and inside. she does pretty good with that, she likes to be in the house next to myself or Rob.

we let her off her cable yesterday to see if shed stick to the front yard, and she went exploring towards the backyard. we're gonna work on the heel thing and the staying in the yard.

My daughter brought a dog home she rescued, Chihuahua and jack russell mix, think Chihuahua with 12" long legs and wired like on speed.

We have a lab/pointer mix he is the most loyal dog Ive ever had but incredibly high energy even at 8 years old. Recently he started having seizures and the vet said it is common for pointers to have them as they age and there is nothing they can do about it.

..., Chihuahua and jack russell mix, think Chihuahua with 12" long legs and wired like on speed.
welcome to my nightmare :confused1

If there is Beagle in your dog I'd suggest an underground fence. I have two Beagles and have breed dozens of litters in my lifetime of owning Beagles. It seems you get one out of ten that will stay near home. The rest will follow their nose till their hearts content. The guys that run bear here with dogs love Beagle in their mutts because a Beagle will hunt themselves to death. Stubbornness is a hound. Just be more stubborn. Consistency is the best thing I could tell you for training. If you do not praise consistently for the dog doing the correct action that you praised them for before can cause you to lose ground with a hound. Everyone in your household should be involved in the training as a hound will display more of the pack type qualities of who is dominant, and you do not want a dog who thinks they are dominant over any human in the household.

Back