• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone else disappointed with 4.88s and 35s?

OP,

what 33" tires were you running ? On what rims? What was the actual diameter ? for example, alot of 33s measure say 32.5, and after wearing down approach say 31-31.5. some brand new 35s measure say 34.5-34.9. also a heavier rim.

I have an auto with 4.88s:

Had 33" swampers and 4.88s on black steelies. loved the power.
then I ran 31/10.5s for while, the power was awesome. I was still able to go 90 MPH, just at pretty high RPMS. I have a manual TC lockup switch. RPMS were not that bad on the freeway. then I went to 35s, lost some power in the hills, and it was tough getting used to it on the trails since I was used to the lighter 33s turning easier in the rocks. Then I went to 37s. Power was the worst. a real heavy 37, togo Mts(95 pounds each) . recently, I went with some 36/13.5 bias ply iroks , they are the same weight as my old 35" pro comp extreme terrains (66 pounds each) on some beadlocks, and I love it so far. power is decent. freeway RPMS are low which is nice, not as low as the 37s though. In all cases over 33",
I wish I had a 44 or a 60 front so I could run 5.38s or deeper. I have a tired renix with tons of metal added, cage, spares, tools etc. Thing weighs a ton.

Secondly,

Do you have new plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, o2 sensor, air filter, oil change , some MMO in oil and gas, or has it been a while?

How is your TPS? Have you tested it recently? when my TPS starts to crap out the jeep gets sluggish. I replace my NAPA TPS almost twice a year, probably due to hood vents letting lots of water in

My XJ on 35's and 5.13's is not too shabby off the line. It moves when it has to and that's with an old 240k motor in it.

I would want deeper than 4.88 if I had an auto. 4.88s in my jeep with a manual and 35's is pretty good. I run a really bald set of 33" ats on the street and I raced my brothers stock integra when we were both in third gear and I was pulling away from him pretty quick.

I have 4.88s with 35s on my 2001 with a 5-speed. It's actually decent and I'm okay with it. Revs are around 2700 at 70mph. If it was an auto then 513s may have been better, but for a manual I'm fine. I'd say the weight of the 35s and all the armor added etc is what's making my rig so slow.

Worlds slowest jeep: (Mine) 3 inch lift, 35x12.50x17s.. 355 gears.. Oh yea! :gee:

IMG_0871_zps6d62a674.jpg

Hey, you have the same gear combo as me right now!

I had 4.88/35's on my Grand with a 4.0 and thought it was better than 3.54/31's. When I do the Cherokee it will have a 4.88/35 combo. If I want fast/quick, I pull the Corvette out of the garage.

Another satisfied customer running 4.88/35's with a 5 speed with no issues. Combined with the 4:1 t-case the crawl ratio seems just right for the style wheelin I do (except the time when I got too heavy on the gas and ripped an upper link off :( )

What's good or bad is in the eye of the beholder. Honestly, I think my 35s on stock gears isnt that bad for every day driving. However I do plan on going to 4.56s to get some more pep offroad.

My 00 with 90k on it sucks gas like a mofo with 35x1250x17s and 355s. I get like 12 mpg tops.

I leave er in 3rd gear too. Otherwise id be crusing at 40 and 4000 rpms which would suck dick.

I ran 35's with 3.07 gears for a few months- sucked... but doable. I now have 4:88's behind my ax-15 and can bark second gear all day long.
Not disappointed at all.

I now have 4:88's behind my ax-15 and can bark second gear all day long.
Not disappointed at all.

Same here. And I'm at 7000ft altitude.

I ran 35's with 3.07 gears for a few months- sucked... but doable. I now have 4:88's behind my ax-15 and can bark second gear all day long.
Not disappointed at all.

I should have mentioned this is pertaining to an auto so observations when using an AX-15 are irrelevant

I think the rotating mass has a lot to do with it. Before i swapped in my 44s and 35s. I had a hp30/8.8 combo, 3.73s, and 33" MTRks on ravines. My jeep was honestly pretty quick. Once i swapped in my 44s(4.88s) , 35" MTRks, and heavy steel wheels with rim stiffeners, it felt a lot more sluggish. Its still faster than my friends TJs with 35s. At 65, im at just above 2500 rpms, and i get around 15mpg highway, 12ish city.

When i go from my DD (95, 4.0 5 speed, 3.07s, 30" ATs) to my red jeep, the red jeep FEELS quicker off the line because of the lower, but i know my DD would beat it in a race.

I'm debating on gettin 4.88 with my 35s but I am buying 37s as soon as my mtrs wear out but was thinkin possibly 4.56 maybe right now I have 3.07 but it has to change soon so help?

I have been happy with 4.88 and 35's. (AW4)

It's seems to be a good set up for what I do... drive 500 miles on the highway and then rock crawl. I cruise about 75-80 on the highway, and the rig is pretty capable crawling in the rocks.

As for accelerating from a dead stop... I was running 3.55 with almost 32" tires before I switched. 4.88/35 was an improvement for acceleration from that.

Back