• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone down with Vdubs?

I like this one...

VW_Rear_Dr_Open1_PScopy.jpg

VW_Fire1copy.jpg

icon10.gif

Lets see.....

Very first car, 16 years old.....Class 5 Baja, lengthend, widened, 2 liter type 4 motor..:D

then the following;
All original 64, crank sunroof
resto-custom 58, first year for big rear window
59 cal-look Ghia
60, 21 window bus
62 double cab bus
68 notchback...cal-look
and lastly a resto-custom 63....with a 2278cc Berg motor and 5-speed trans :moon:

These were the runners, I'm not counting all the parts cars!

If you surf in Mexico, the type II buses used to be the only way to roll.

There can be repaired anywhere in Mexico, I really mean anywhere. In '79 we took a two bus caravan surfing all the way to Puerto Angel, and back. The first engine rebuild was just north of Punta De Mita, a 3 hour drive to the nearest fish camp... A shack in the middle of nowhere with all the type II parts needed to finish the job, and machined heads a day away.

Rebuilding a VW in Mexico is a perfect excuse to surf a spot for a few days more. :D

--ron

Love Em, I want to get a 69 beetle and put one of those turnkey souper engines in them with the gynormous turbos. Also wouldn't mind getting a gia(sp?) and putting the disk brake conversion on there as well. Vdubs seriously own all cars on the track in my opinion.

Chris, nice Bug! That one is a keeper!

You know I don't have any VWs anymore, but I did pick up a '95 Volvo 850 wagon for my daily driver/family hauler. I got it CHEAP CHEAP, too. 136k, power everything, everything works....$2k!! Runs GREAT! Well....I do need to fix the A/C....next year....

61 Beetle
62 Baja with 140hp Corvair motor (this one was a blast when it ran right)
69 Beetle
69 Baja w/2110
72 Karmann Ghia convertible w/1835

The Ghia handled like it was on rails when lowered. No need for discs brakes on these feather weights.

All long gone but maybe someday a 21 window with safari's and ragtop.

Diggin' up old thread, but I can't resist VW love!!

On my third now - '07 Passat 2.0T (previously had '03 GTI 1.8T and wife had '03 New Beetle). I know, I know, all watercooleds, but I desperately want an aircooled - just haven't had a garage yet for one. Well, waiting is over!!! Closing on a house either this week or next and will have a garage!! Passat in one spot and as soon as I sell my bike, room for an early 60s aircooled or if my wife gets her way a dune buggy, but that'd be cool w/ me as long as it's VW powered. I'm actually more leaning towards the dune buggy just to take advantage of the FL weather.

Matthew Currie said:
I sitll have a couple of VW engines, though, and an industrial engine mount, waiting for an interesting use. Maybe a welding generator or something.

You wouldn't wanna get rid of a motor cheap would ya? Planning on building a trike.

Sarge

I've got a '74 Super w/ the crank sunroof and a 1600cc, all stock for now. This was my first car and it has been sitting for 8 years. I recently pulled it out of my Mom's place and was able to fire it up after replacing the battery, gas, and oil. Still runs like a top and I love it. I am going to drop in a 1914cc in the next year or so!!!!

i dont own one, but i admire them

r28_vanagon.jpg

I wouldnt mind a vanagon like the above one with a custom TDI dropped in it, tricked out for some more hp and torque. Sorry its not an aircooled vw.

My uncle was into vw and kharman ghias (and lotus and vettes for racing) in the 60 and 70s. He had some sweet ones. Wish i had some pics of them. The kharman ghias had great bodies.

2006 gti and i love everything about it.

cheers,

jj

I used to have a 71 super beetle. Loved it. I drove it from Cali to texas after high school. Winter time it was great with the little snow we got. It was real good on the ice which we got a lot in winter. Had to get rid of it since I wanted something with A/C. The dealer gave me 1500 for it back in 89. So I think I got a good deal for the trade in. I regret it ever since. It also was pushing a little over 2100 dual carbs.

Back