• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone bob the tail end of a Comanche?

sportsguy

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at it last night and it looks like it's gonna drag - the departure angle kinda licks...LOL

I'm toying with ideas on building a custom bumper with integral skids to allow the rear to slide on the underside of the bumper when needed...but the idea of chopping a few inches out of the bed length is appealing too.

Cut off the end with the tailgate/lights, etc. Chop off (rough guess) say 6" of the bed, remount the tailgate/light mount ends of the bed. I'd need to shorten up the fram a wee dram, but so goes the plasma cutter...

Anyone done this? Any pics? I searched www.xjdb.com and found nothing.

sportsguy said:
I was looking at it last night and it looks like it's gonna drag - the departure angle kinda licks...LOL

I'm toying with ideas on building a custom bumper with integral skids to allow the rear to slide on the underside of the bumper when needed...but the idea of chopping a few inches out of the bed length is appealing too.

Cut off the end with the tailgate/lights, etc. Chop off (rough guess) say 6" of the bed, remount the tailgate/light mount ends of the bed. I'd need to shorten up the fram a wee dram, but so goes the plasma cutter...

Anyone done this? Any pics? I searched www.xjdb.com and found nothing.
I don't have pics of it, but Rob "Ryeguy" Bryce, the guy who built "The Hulk" (huge white blazer on 44s with custom Unimog portal axles - competed in top truck challenge a year or two ago) here on Vancouver Island used to run a lifted MJ with a 12" bob on the tail. If i recall correctly, he did exactly what you are hoping to do, except he chopped a foot out of the end. He drove it around with primer over the weld for years, oh well, function over form eh? You could probably email him if you want hints, his business' website is here: http://www.exaxt.ca/ At any rate, its been done before, probably many a time. I say go for it, his was one capable rig.
Buck :canada:

i've never seen one done to an MJ, but I've sure thought about doing it to mine many times. at 7" with 35s I rarely hit the bumper I made, but it's built strong and high-clearance so I'm not concerned. if you go over to the Pirate site and search for for bed bobs in the Toyota section you will find several good, very detailed writeups.

I cut a Little off the back of mine
aan.sized.jpg

BrettM said:
i've never seen one done to an MJ, but I've sure thought about doing it to mine many times. at 7" with 35s I rarely hit the bumper I made, but it's built strong and high-clearance so I'm not concerned. if you go over to the Pirate site and search for for bed bobs in the Toyota section you will find several good, very detailed writeups.

Good point Brett, when I started reading this thread I though too that much info could be had by looking up the Toyota pickup bobs out there. There seems to be many rolling around with that done and a pickup is a pickup. I know the Toy has a frame on body and the MJ doesn't but they are similiar.

I just bought a 83' Yota longbed pickup for $650 that a friend is paying me back for. The previous owner has hacked off the lower rear rockers to make more clearance as well as take off the bumper and now there is alot of clearance even with the long bed on 33" Procomp X-terrains.

Big Red said:
Good point Brett, when I started reading this thread I though too that much info could be had by looking up the Toyota pickup bobs out there. There seems to be many rolling around with that done and a pickup is a pickup. I know the Toy has a frame on body and the MJ doesn't but they are similiar.

I just bought a 83' Yota longbed pickup for $650 that a friend is paying me back for. The previous owner has hacked off the lower rear rockers to make more clearance as well as take off the bumper and now there is alot of clearance even with the long bed on 33" Procomp X-terrains.
MJs are bed-on-frame on the rear, just like a Toy, it's only under the cab that it's unibody

Found this on the internet a while back. Don't know anything about it though.
Jeep on!
--Pete

68261655.jpg

Last edited:
Bad link? Mine? huh, that would be the first time that's happened. send an email to [email protected] and I can give it to you that way.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I'm fairly certain this last one started life as a XJ, not a MJ.

Brett, you realize that's an XJ right?
Jeep on!
--Pete

I just wanted to be sure, that's all. Your truck won't turn out *exactly* like that because the sheetmetal and frame underneath is all different. Take lots of pictures while you do it so others can follow your lead! :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back