• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody have a Truetrac in the front?

I drove mine for several years in the snow around Chicago, and up into Michigan. I'd do it again, no question about that.

So it's good in and out if 4WD? No bad side effects? I was thinking of putting it in front and rear since I like the extra traction but still want it ok for the street since I don't do ALOT of off road but it's still gonna be a DD all winter.

Last edited:
I have a TT in the front of my baby jeep and a Detroit in the back. D30 up front and D44 in the rear. 33 in procomp MTs.

I feel the TT in the front of mine. Its not so bad that I can't drive with it, but it was bad enough that I bought a front hub kit (was used and got a good deal on the hub kit).

The baby jeep is a 96 4.0 XJ with an auto and 231 swapped in tcase.

Off road the thing is a monster, only once have I put it in a spot where I couldn't get it to lockup and get me through the obstacle.

I feel it turning, it pushes more than I like. I'm trying to keep this one in decent enough highway driving shape that my fiance can still drive it.

mac 'not a puss' gyvr

So it's good in and out if 4WD? No bad side effects? I was thinking of putting it in front and rear since I like the extra traction but still want it ok for the street since I don't do ALOT of off road but it's still gonna be a DD all winter.
I drove it from 2001 to 2005 in the snow with a TrueTrac in the front, and an Auburn limited slip in the rear axle. I'd do it again.

...,a TrueTrac in the front, and an Auburn limited slip in the rear axle,...
This is the setup I have now. If I was doing it again, I'd put TTs in both axles.(they didn't make the TT for the 8.25 when I put the Auburn in)

anyone else use one with a 242? i am beginning to gear my axles and am getting a yukon grizzly in the rear 44 but am on the fence about the front 30. while i have it out to gear i want to have a decision made so im not changing my mind and having to take it out to have it set-up again. and selectables are out of my budget.

i do DD my jeep as of now and if i didnt i would drive it to the trails anyway, long road trips etc. its on 33's as well. stock shafts. i wheel in rocks mostly where i commonly have to make sharp turns.

so should i not even worry about the 30 and run a full case locker or run the TT or equivalent?

i'd just use a cheap drop in locker like the lockright i'm using for now, and save your money down the road for a d44 and elocker or something.

i have just recently installed front and rear truetracks, AW4/231.
i did feel a SLIGHT increase in resistance at the steering wheel, but in no way is it a negative thing.

my first test drive was in the snow, blew my stock setup out of the water, great on the road, great in the bush, they work very well as a pair.

Back