• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any trails in southern illinois,central illinois

simplmn80

NAXJA Forum User
hey all, I am new to the site and let me tell you, this has got to be the most informative forum that I have found yet, definitally looking to spend alot of time on it. I was wondering if there were anyone looking to go on some runs in the south central illinois area. I know they used to let people ride down in shawnee forest in souther il, but I don't think they do anymore. Any input would be awesome. thanks guys!! keep up the good work!!

I was hoping to get a Shawnee run together this fall I don't think it'll happen though. (Not for me anyway) Maybe I can make it back down there next year.

There are a few unimproved around the area, lots of cool places to go for afternoon trips but nothing to keep you busy for long and most could be done in a mini van. Honestly the Badlands and Redbird are worth the trip if you are wanting to wheel, they aren't that far away and will keep you busy for a day or an entire weekend if you have the time.

I would definately be up for another trip to shawnee, but wouldn't be able to do it this year.

What does your jeep look like? I go through Effingham a few times a week.

i live in mattoon there are a few trail in charleston on the river but i think most of them have been blocked off by dnr i havnt been over there sence my jeep became a trailer queen

Last edited:
The folks from www.sija.org/forums just did a large run to the Shawnee, it's an annual run once the trees start turning colors. There's a lot of really fun trails if you know where to go, and they're all legal FS roads. Check out SIJA and watch for runs.

FYI the Shawnee level 1 and 2 roads (the trails we like) close every winter until late April early May. You could spend days exploring with no exciting trails, or you can link up with SIJA members and spend a day or two on the most fun and scenic trails.

Turkey Bay at Land Between the Lakes, can be a good trip. Watch the itsajeep.org website to see when they go. Most of them know Tbay better than their back yard. I run w/ itsajeep.org and sija.org. SNF has some nice riding trails. Tbay has a walk in the park to moderate, and most obstacles have a bypass of some sort.

Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50 (a) and (b), the following acts are prohibited on the areas, roads and trails within the Shawnee National Forest.

(3) Being on the road:
This includes possessing, parking, operating or using a motorized vehicle on forest development roads which have been closed with a gate, barrier, berm or are otherwise being closed. This also includes those roads having grass and/or dirt surface beginning the Monday following the closing day of 2nd shotgun firearms deer season through the last day of Spring turkey season. 36 CFR 261.54(e)

Back