• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any Subaru Outback owners here?

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Yeah, yeah, I know... But I know we've got a couple of people here who have or have had Subarus (myself included), and I need some feedback from anyone who has spent significant time with an Outback.

Basically, my mother's looking at buying an '07 Legacy Outback, L.L. Bean edition. She couldn't find a Jeep that she liked, doesn't want an SUV, and wasn't keen on either of the 4-cylinder models, so the flat-six is what she's getting. After 30 years of her driving Hondas, it makes a welcome change :)

I've been following posts over at ultimatesubaru.org and subaruoutback.org for a few days, and I'm not seeing anything really frightening there - a good sign. I've had a Subaru in the past ('86 Brat), but that was 10 years ago and bears virtually no resemblance mechanically to the current crop of vehicles. Not that I'm panicked about it from a reliability standpoint, but I would like to know what issues might potentially be down the road in 3-5 years' time since I'm the guy who'll end up having to deal with it. Anyone have any insights?

There are a few potential issues,nothing to bad, pm me for more info- subaru service advisor.

i have an 05 outback XT. I really like it. a little softer on the suspension than I would like. Great interior. breaks a little soft too.

gas milage not so great, around 21-22, but it is a turbo and the boost is a lot of fun. 14.0 1/4 off the showroom floor isn't bad for station wagon.

My mother has an '06 Legacy Outback Wagon, L.L. Bean edition. H6 Engine (way she drives about 25mpg combined city/highway)... hauls that car very well. Interior is very nice (light tan/white leather) it seems to be very well built. She traded in her '03 for it when the dealer told her they'd give she almost all of what she paid for the '03 in trade for the '06 (more than she owed). Overall, very nice car. If I was to but a car (probably never will) it'd be one of 'em in a sedan version.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Talked to a few other owners in the last couple of days, and, as expected, they were all very happy with their Outbacks.

Looks like she'll be going for the L.L. Bean in black with the darker of the two tan interiors and sat-nav. Should make a great car for her for the next few years; I know my Brat never gave me any real trouble and was a fantastic lousy weather / light trail device.

I had a Forester (special edition Legancy) ( company car), I totaled on an icy road. I can say one thing, those suckers are built much like an XJ or a brick (they take a crash well). Though I did submarine out of the seat belt and trash my knees. Never really had any issues with mine, besides dragging the under carriage on dirt roads. It had the 2 inch (off road) hydrolic lift accessory, that didn't seem to help much. I never did figure that thing out, you could watch the Forest lift when the switch was engaged, but it never seemed to help much with clearance and it would scrap the crown on most dirt roads
There has to be difference in the USA model and the European model. Mine had a four banger, without the turbo and was right quick, it would cruise all day long at over a hundred MPH. Hills didn't affect the performance much.
I'm thinking the European four banger has a few more horses than the USA model and probably different gears. I really can't see getting a six cylinder, which would be kind of overkill IMO, at least in the Euro model.

My dad has a 1998 Outback, purchased new. It's been a good car for the most part, though it's also had some problems. In the 121,000 miles or so that we've put on it, it's needed a new radiator, head gasket, and a gas tank. It's averaged about 24-25 city and 27-29 highway MPG.

Back