• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any problem with leaving axles open/open?

ARB's in theory are great but they are stupid expensive and everyone I wheel with that had them now don't, they are extremely unreliable but still better than most selectables.
Well Ive got 3 ARB's,going on 9yrs now and never had a problem with them.Maybe your friends didnt install them correctly!

It's too bad the factory TJ Rubicon lockers aren't available commercially, or fo anything else then a D-44. 5psi to engage, seals that will hold up for a 50K mile warranty, choice of open or limited slip(on the Rubicon, the front was open, the rear was LS, and both would lock)
They are available,but they are also quite expensive!

I would never want to drive an open open vehicle offroad. I got my gears and locker installed before I ever hit the trails and I'm glad I did. The things I can get through with just a rear locker surprise a lot of people. Can't wait until I have two of them.

Well, honestly, all i have ever wheeled is vehicles with open/open diffs and rarely ever had problems. It pretty much comes down to finesse and learning the capabilities of your vehicle. disconnected, my xj goes anywhere i point it, unless its muddy....

Well, honestly, all i have ever wheeled is vehicles with open/open diffs and rarely ever had problems. It pretty much comes down to finesse and learning the capabilities of your vehicle. disconnected, my xj goes anywhere i point it, unless its muddy....

Thats a bummer!Come play out here,youll be taking all the "bypasses"!

i think its better to start out open/open...then when you know the capabilities of the rig and want to do more, go for lockers. Im quite happy with my aussie autolocker up front. still open in the 8.8 for now. you could do very well with 2 limited slips, but selectable lockers would be the best of both worlds

how exactly do you wheel in the northeast without getting muddy?
you must be getting tired of the green trails at Rausch by now

locked front and rear, and i can do black trails there on 31's

was has this turned into? a who got the biggest...
I wheeled witha guy running a stock XJ with 235/75-15 all terrains, he was the trail leader, on a trail with no bypasses. He totally out wheeled YJ's/CJ's lifted/locked on 33's... all of those folks had to pull winch line... but not this guy. Trail had swamp crossings, rocks, roots... you name it. I was new to wheeling an riding shotgun in a 3" lifted XJ on 31" all terrains, open/open... he should have pulled a winch line, but throttled out of a nasty log jamb in the swamp... he too out wheeled locked and larger tired/lifted rigs.
It is beyond amazing when you come across someone as capable behind the wheel as that guy (and my buddy) was.

I also subscribe to learning how to wheel open/open... the knowledge/experienced gained is invaluable.

RCP, what trails do you typically run? I too am in Phoenix.

How much mud is in Phoenix? :huh:
Not too much around here, but it can be found. It's more of a loose sand/silt mix when it gets wet(not often)

Get outside of town, there's a little. Found some on the top of New River mesa once :D

its no that i don't get muddy up here, but i don't particularly care for mud. don't get me wrong, but it goes great in mud, as long as it isn't over the hubs!!......just to prove a point, in January, i went wheeling in connellsville with some friends, and on top of the ground being "soft" there was about 6-8" of snow on the ground. (back then i had only 265/70/15 mild a/t tires and 2"bb.....) and had to only get winched twice. only because i didn't disconnect. there was a kid there with us, who had a new jk wrangler with 35" mud terrains, 6" lift and a rear locker and he got stuck more times than me. my point is, besides a posi in the rear, it doesnt seem like much traction is needed if you can wheel properly.

Back