• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any Ford v10 towers on this board

Mike1331

NAXJA Forum User
Any Ford or dodge v10 towers on this board

I’m considering a ford or dodge v10 to tow with, I know diesel is better but v10’s can be had much cheaper for obvious reasons. I don’t have the money for my dream cummins right now. A relatively new v10 can be had for half the price of a dodge diesel and still have the reliability of a fairly new truck. Im wondering who out there has experience with this truck and its towing quirks. I realize it’ll tow a lot higher in the rpm range but the gas guzzling aspects of it all is something I can handle if the cost of the truck is half that of a diesel.

Has anybody had both and prefered one over the other?
Likes? Dislikes?
Or you can just provide feedback to the board to whichever you have.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have the ford V10 and it tows my YJ fine. I would be nice to be able to cruise 80 up a huge hill @ 2000 rpm but for the difference in price does not seem worth it just to tow one jeep.

Why not get a Ram with a 360 or a hemi then? Or depending on how old you want to go, a Ford 3/4 or 1 ton with a 460?

yeah the 460's are great motors, i'd consider one if they put them in anything newer. I only have a 3/4 mile drive to work everyday so it'll be my dd. I don't wan't an old dd. Living this close to the sierra's i'm almost always traveling through them to wheel. A 360 would probably travel at 45-50mph tops through these hills with a double axle loaded trailer. Screw that noise.

yeah the 460's are great motors, i'd consider one if they put them in anything newer. I only have a 3/4 mile drive to work everyday so it'll be my dd. I don't wan't an old dd. Living this close to the sierra's i'm almost always traveling through them to wheel. A 360 would probably travel at 45-50mph tops through these hills with a double axle loaded trailer. Screw that noise.
I towed my XJ with a '05 F160 with the 4.6 to the rubicon this summer, and it was horrible. When the tranny shifted into first gear on some of the hills, I knew I needed more power.

I know its only the 4.6 and not a 5.4, but even then I dont think it would be enough. Friends have F250s or 2500s with diesels and they can take the same hills at or above the speed limit with the same or bigger loads. :tear:

If you were on the plains of Kansas or something like that, I think a 1/2 ton truck would do you just fine, but when you get into the mountains you need way more power.

first gear on the freeway, thats hilarious. Yeah the sierras and all that they have to offer have definately affected my decision on a few cars. And it continues

You will die if you hook a trailer to anything less than a 3/4 ton diesel.
Driving over the mountain passes (and other small hills) here in CO, you sure as hell better have a large engine to tow a car hauler!

I pass 1/2 ton trucks pulling trailers struggling to maintain 40 mph on the flatter sections of the freeway. I cant imagine what it would be like to have a semi blow by you going 75 mph while towing at 40.

I know trailer brakes are a must, but I would rather have 3/4 or 1 ton brakes when coming down from the mountains too.

I guess I shouldnt be complaing. Borrowing my dads truck to tow my POS to the trail is quite nice. I could be camped in the slow lane with no tunes, no AC, hot interior, and loud tires. Tow rigs kick ass!

We bought a 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab as a tow rig/wife's daily driver. 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92s in the diffs.

I'm probably not going to be towing once a month. I'm not going to be in a race to get to the top of the mountains.

Gas tow rigs are fine. :)

That's kinda what he has determined, he's just asking for info on V10s, not gas vs diesel...

We have 2 V10 F350 dually stake beds at work. One has a hydraulic lift on the back. It sees on average 8 mpg. The other one sees 8-10 mpg. The one w/o the lift has plenty of power and I've towed our monster trailer (probably 6-10k easily depending on load inside) around the base and it moves it fine. Haven't had it above 40 yet or up any major hills though. Our trailer tends to stay home unless two stake beds aren't enough to carry what we need.

Darky thanks for the feedback, 8-10 was what i was expecting.

Phil your diesel or die comment was both hilarious and useless.

Anybody have any dodge v10's? I like the fact that its an 8.0l viper motor verses the smaller ford motor. I also like dodge 4x4 suspension much better than ford stiff ass leaves. coils up front on a tow rig are nice for dd'ing it around town.

Yeah that's one thing about our trucks, they are stiff as all hell, but they will also take being aired out a little...and land fairly nicely for a 6-7000 lb truck. :D

for a gas truck.... go with the chevy 6.0 and dont look back! the v-10s are gas hogs!

i towed with a 6.0 and got 12mpg towing my xj

Yeah that's one thing about our trucks, they are stiff as all hell, but they will also take being aired out a little...and land fairly nicely for a 6-7000 lb truck. :D

thats what i want to hear. dodge's would land even better with a karly or kore suspension on it. That'll probably be what i end up doing. I just hope they make systems for the generation 2 rams.

Okay, if you want a solid axle and power.. then I think you need to suck it up, at just buy a CTD and be done. You get better mileage with those towing than a V10 on its own. So, the 'extra' money you are spending up front.. the mileage will more than make up for.

Okay, if you want a solid axle and power.. then I think you need to suck it up, at just buy a CTD and be done. You get better mileage with those towing than a V10 on its own. So, the 'extra' money you are spending up front.. the mileage will more than make up for.

I've towed and drove with both and can say that between fuel, frustration and cost of any repairs you'll be happier with the diesel both empty and full over a V-10.

Like you, I don't drive far to work but the fuel cost adds up quick and you don't drop anything close to what you would with a diesel over a gasser. I analyzed for over a year whether to buy gas or diesel and you can't lose with a diesel especially towing for any length of time. If you're in it for the long haul (no pun intended) you'd be foolish not to buy a diesel.

Bottom line, I'd take a 1998 Dodge or Ford Diesel over their 2004-2008 V-10 counterparts any day and don't understand why somebody would purposely tow with a gas engine anymore.

I want a straight front axle to run 35" tires safely. I don't like chevy a-arms otherwise i'd consider it.
35s on a tow rig with a v-10... you deff asking for horrible mpgs....even with the 6.0 id imagine unloaded you are prob gonna get 10mpg. loaded with tools and jeep in tow your prob gonna get about 5mpg.

like mentioned.... get a CTD and be done with it.

lots of my buddies are running 35s-37s on the chevy ifs.... the 3/4ton ifs is alot beefier than you would think.

Back