• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any experience with bushwhacker install?

Damn your full of shiite... CrazyJim, I get so tired of hearing you whine. Why don't you go out and jump that piece of pre-runner crap till you bend that LP 30 you got in there. Better yet, why don't you just sell it before you roll it... oh wait, it's already for sale isn't it.

Mudderoy has picked out some BW flares to use on his XJ, and has asked about install. Not your decision on purchasing... he's already done that.

MUdRoy, just get a air saw with a small blad, cut a few wedges up to the pinch seem, and gently pound and fold the pices back. Then throw some good paint on there. Check behind your inside pannel to make sure there are no through holes into the cabin area. If there are, no biggy. Just run a bead of silicone caulk along the inside edge of the fender well.

Mark your holes for the flares, and drill them. I used a touch up paint brush with some black paint to cover the raw edges. Then dropped some silicone in them and bolted them up. Just take your time, their not hard to do. Worth measuring and re-measuring to get them right. Your rig looks nice, and I can see that your somewhat of a perfectionist. They will turn out fine.

If they get ripped off and your tired of the whole thing eventually, if you get into some hard core wheeling, then down the road make some steel flares. A few have done those with really nice results.

In the front, they're much easier, you'll have no problem. Also, with the front fender liner out, you'll want to do the tried and true pool noodle mod. Take a fat pool noodle, cut in half. Wedge in the rear of both front fenders to keep the water and grime out of your door hinges. Will keep them from squeeking and eventually wearing out the hinges.

Put those BW's on there, and get some pics up. Red late-model XJs with bling rims look great.

Here are some pics of a friends Jeep that we did... His Jeep has RE 3" lift with 32" tires. Plenty of room for 33's.

Thanks for the information, and encouragement. I'm happy to say most of the people on here are like you, supportive and helpful.

Yes, very nice install on the white XJ, this is one reason I wanted the bushwhackers. When done right they really add to the beauty of the rig.

No problem with posting pictures, I love to show off my pretty baby. :yelclap:

I'll be up bright and early on Saturday to start the "procedure", okay maybe by 10 am.

I have a set on mine and although I have pulled one off on tree and it cracked a little bit, I still love em. I have since trimmed out the insides of the fronts so they dont get in the way anymore. The one I pulled off was a rear piece, stripped out the holes in the body. What I did to to fix it was I got small nylon nuts and put em on the inside of the body. They will still pull through if they need to but are more secure than just drilled into the body. Let me know if you want pics. I say get em, if you dont like em a couple years later get some new front fenders and get the rear holes fixed at a shop, no big deal. Good luck!

<DELETED POST>

Hey Dork... that's a friend of mine. A jeep I helped him build. What you can't see... hey this is fun... is that the rear is a Dana 44 open, and a front HP 30 with lock-rite, Warn Hubs, with Chromos, and 4:56 gears. I've seen that thing walk right up stuff that shorter wheel base rigs, and faux runners like yours, couldn't come close to handling. And he's running 32" BFG AT's. Mall crawler... :doh: that sweet rig can handle much more than that. My friend is just very meticulous, and takes care of his stuff.

No excuse for your rudeness, and bullying. You've not seen any of my rigs, nor have you ever wheeled with me (I'm the notorious southern member number 666 :D ). Shoot, I could prob. get further on a trail in my wifes Yota mini van than your "faux pre-runner".... :nono:

Besides, looks like your about gone, good luck with the sale of your rig...

Just for fun, here is one of my last rigs on 38"s

CIMG2432.jpg

Oh wait, that was my pavement pounder Land Cruiser on 38 sx's...

CIMG3155.jpg

OPPs, Thats my ol '97 on 35's with rear 44, disc brakes, and spool, with HP 30 front and a lock-rite... lets, see here now...

0a854685.jpg

oh. Theres the MJ on 38's, 44 Dana's, 5:13's, spool lock-rite....

Heres one of my "Mall Crawler" '96 XJ with 8.25, no-slip, front HP30 Warn hubs, Chromos, 4:56's...

709845507105_0_ALB.jpg

My definitively pavement pounding old Ford Screw with 6" Fabtec lift lift, 35's (had 37's and 12"es of lift, too big then), and my still in the garage favorite boat...

760698013205_0_ALB.jpg

Never really liked to wheel them, just hard pack for me...

th_cid_000801c5f2257f893f600201a8c0Sus.jpg

68456311805_0_ALB.jpg

HPIM0606.jpg

:D, Naw, Don't believe you know me. Quit being a punk. Help people out when you can. It will pay ya back in spades later on...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back woods hick... damn your full of insults aint ya?. I guess your prob. a little pissed your "call in gay day" on Wednesday was a bust... No one missed you... :D

Again, your a bit blind 'ol boy. We Crawl rocks out here too... only they have that 'ol slick goo on there for a little added fun...

HPIM0579.jpg

HPIM0580.jpg

Heres some clean rocks, so you ins can see them... Thay're what's under most of the mud that you can't see...

Brings up a thought though...why you boys call them slick rock out thar? They sure are far from being slick like ours out this a way... :D

Once I get this 'ol ZJ done, I'll be making a trip out there to check out some of that beautiful country of yours,... and mine...

100_2213.jpg

We here in the south try not to generalize too much. Especially with our wheelin' buds. I hear all about that gay marriage stuff y'all are tryin' to pass out there in Calli, but I don't believe everyone in your state is gay, of course not... That's just plain silly (well got some folks that live in San Bernadino, they seem right normal...)

You just seem pent up, a bit hostile even, like maybe you want to tell us all somethin'...???? But, then again, you'd prob have trouble even wheelin' your way out of your closet, so best just for ya to stay in there. Tolerance, yup... I can believe in that for ya. I'll just not ask, as long as you don't tell... :D

WOW!! you two need to calm the hek down! quit bein little babies.

To the OP: Mudderoy i sorry people like those clog your thread with some nonsense bs. I think that bushwackers are ugly IMO. but to each their own and hope you like them. I helped install some bushwakers on a friends tj and then proceeded to help him test thier strengthte next weekend on a tree.
they have a scratch on them but they fared better then i thought they would.

MY 2CENTS

Josh

i'm hearing a whole lot of bickering.... but damn that's one sweet MJ.

a remedy for small cuts in the washer bottle is JB weld. duh. (ask me how i know that)

Sorry there Mudderoy, didn't mean to high-jack. Just bugs me when someone wants to be a punk, when all that's needed is a good answer to the question.

Thanks, on the MJ. That was one sweet rig.

Mudderoy asked for help on a forum, whatdda expect? your on these boards for those opinions, no?... i would argue that now is a good time to let him know of some potential problems that he may run into!! So, respectively, heres what i would say:

My first cherokee i got, came with bushwackers. they were the old kind i guess because they never seemed to break, but they would crack up at the bolts.

and as said before, after those screws were put in, it would be a PITA to fix up again if you didnt like how they looked (which personally i dont unless the tires are >34").

however if your set on them... "measure twice, cut once!"

btw, i think i would actually sell my soul for that prerunner xj... xjaddiction, thanks for that very informative slideshow

I would love a set of BW's, just don't have the money for them..I like the look..

I would love a sandwich, but I'm too lazy to get up, and don't have the money for a butler.:conceited

Seriously though Mudderoy, I hope you enjoy your BW's when you get them. Even if you do break them call up BW and tell them what happened and they will send you a free set.:cool:

-Alex

Hey no problem guys, I appreciate the information and "some" of the opinions. :laugh3:

I try to stay away from personal attacks on the Internet. It's pretty silly. I mean how much courage does it take to express yourself with a keyboard miles away from the person you are disrespecting, insulting, etc..?

If I want to argue with you, and/or insult you I'll do it to your face. That way I get to see the look on your face, and I get the further satisfaction to see if you're going to man up and defend yourself. Most people just stick their tails between their legs and walk away.

All and all I try to be nice to people, otherwise my wife kicks my ass!

If would be nice if we were able to filter out certain people. People that repeatedly spout out their unwanted opinions. Basically it would just be a list that you could add people to. I think I would call mine the BJ list. :laugh3:

Sorry there Mudderoy, didn't mean to high-jack. Just bugs me when someone wants to be a punk, when all that's needed is a good answer to the question.

Thanks, on the MJ. That was one sweet rig.

No problem at all, you weren't the person that started it.

I would love a set of BW's, just don't have the money for them..I like the look..

I think the BWs are insanely expensive. Personally I think they should be $150 to $200 max. I mean what do they really do, and they are just plastic.

I got mine for $467. I am lucky because I am getting two paychecks right now. One from the old job (they closed the operation in Houston because of hurricane damage at the building) and my new job. Otherwise I wouldn't be getting these things.

And Yes, If I break them I will probably buy more.

Hey no problem guys, I appreciate the information and "some" of the opinions. :laugh3:

All and all I try to be nice to people, otherwise my wife kicks my ass!

My wife too, she thinks I can be very rude. She's helped me get in touch with my "feelings", and develop my sensitive side. :D

I do happen to think BW's are lame, but we each have our own tastes. I don't mind how they look, they look fine to me, but they get in the way of being able to look out the window and see your front tire, put your fenders closer to rocks and trees, and they can break. If you do it for mud, or if you do it for looks, that's cool, but for much trail work they can be detrimental.

$500 for plastic fender flares.

That's all I keep thinking. lol. Have fun with that.

My wife too, she thinks I can be very rude. She's helped me get in touch with my "feelings", and develop my sensitive side. :D

I do happen to think BW's are lame, but we each have our own tastes. I don't mind how they look, they look fine to me, but they get in the way of being able to look out the window and see your front tire, put your fenders closer to rocks and trees, and they can break. If you do it for mud, or if you do it for looks, that's cool, but for much trail work they can be detrimental.

Yep, good points, thanks. As this is my daily driver, and I'll see high water and mud most often I went for something to cover the tires, and looks.

but they get in the way of being able to look out the window and see your front tire

You have plexyglass windows on the inside so you can see your tires... Maybe you don't remember what it's like to drive a actual cherokee 8>) Poor Richard! I can see my tires about as good as anyone else. I don't think they are too detramental there. I'm not sure if I would buy the new style, as I hear they break easier. I have had mine since 2001 with only minor problems. If I go somewhere I know I will damage them (JV) I take them off. Not a big deal. Mine have made numerous trips through Ducy, Rubicon without issue. I have only knocked mine off once on a trail. The Gatekeeper on Doran... I think you where spoting me too... Hmmm

Back