• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Pines Run

tighttrailxj said:
There still isn't a tentative date for this yet. Get out and enjoy some of the beauty winter has to offer. The colder and thicker the ice, the better. In the month since this post has been up, I've went down there twice in our ZJ. I know, I know, I'll shut up now.
So John, you got yourself a ZJ now ehh? I was hoping to have my rear locker(Aussie) in my ZJ before we go but I'll make due. I just have to learn to stay out of the deep stuff until I get a snorkle. Either that or stick to rocks.

wiretie said:
I just have to learn to stay out of the deep stuff until I get a snorkle.

Actually, it's a bit more than that.

From Maine to Utah, I've been in a lot of tough spots over the years, but the one thing that really did me in was Piney water.

Back in the 90's I was in a group that tried to ford the Sleeper Branch of the Mullica - the first (hugely lifted) CJ got through and it was good that he did, because none of the rest of us made it (about 8 or 9 others), and his winch was the only thing that made a difference.

I got about halfway across the 75 foot wide stream (it was a wet spring) when my tires just couldn't grab anymore. And it was deep! Looking out my window, it seemed like the water was halfway up to my door handles! (no lie) and the guy behind me said that my rear license plate was covered. I was feeling smug though because I had protected the intakes, the 4.0 was still running and I could hear the motorboat putt-putt from the exhaust. All I had to do was wait for the hook and I'd be fine.

Then I heard this other "noise" - sounded like a waterfall. It took me a few seconds and then I located it. Tea colored Piney liquid pouring in around my door jams!!! Had to get moving! Tried every gear and every RPM but still couldn't make any progress. By the time they got me hooked up and on to the other shore, I had filled up to the bottom of the seats with that brown, "sweet smellin'" Piney tea. Although my XJ was one of the few rigs that didn't stall, that was the only time I envied those CJ and Wrangler hose-out interiors.

Had to strip the interior to dry out when I got home, but it took years and I never quite got the odor out - finally gave in - threw it all out and Herculined the interior. Same crap had worked it's way in to both diffs (the 231 and AX15 held up), and "coincidently" (or not!) both my alternator and starter crapped out within a few months.

Sure, I kept water out of the engine, but wasn't so smart with everything else. Give me rocks anytime - broken stuff is simple to fix - mud and water ain't! Best condition is clean-up over every square inch of the underside and engine - worst is a hydro-locked engine.

Having said that, I really enjoy exploring the Pines and running those sand trails - I just pay more respect to the mud holes. If I get a chance, I'll look forward to joining you folks when you settle on a date.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

That sounds all too familiar...

n24800499_31191899_6650.jpg

Also my last attempt at Pinelands water fording. I never had any odor issues, but I did leave the windows down for a solid two weeks and also drove around with the A/C blowing on the floor. That incident cost me an entire new (junkyard) front axle because the balljoints and hubs filled up with sand, and also led to the demise of my transfer case. Ick.

It was really a great day though, up til that point.

n24800499_31191898_6411.jpg

Mike and Vetteboy, I can definately relate to that "sweet smelling" tea-colored water. I too now have a hurculined interior thanks to the Pines. I've been there a total of three times. Swamped the interior all three times and had to be winched out(truth be known, twice in 1 day). Addicted? You bet! I keep coming back for more. :gee:

Yeah... I pulled out my front carpet last year. Never got around to putting it back in (cut it in 3 sections). I've had enough water in it that it poured out after I opened the doors... *sigh*

Snorkels are just one step of many. Worst is winter time when the seats get wet, then the inside of your windows get frosted over.
Whatevah, I think I have run into in the past out by me.
Was this you?:
923.jpg

haha yes... it was a valiant and very foolish effort on my part. the XJ is a bit bigger than that now, thankfully.

Back