• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another PC question

seanR

Want to puff on my pipe?
NAXJA Member
My lap top at work runs real slow. It has alot of things that start up at...well start up. I figgered out how to turn things off through MSCONFIG, but what do I need to leave running, and what can I switch off. I need to leave the Anti-Virus program running so the resident computer nazi will not send me to the Russian front. But what can be shut off, or rather kept from opening?

Thanks Mike (Sidriptide) for reminding me I had this question festering in my head.

instead of using the msconfig simply remove things from the startmenu in the "programs/startup" folder. cleaning this will remove most of your problems.

If, after clearing what you want from the StartUp folder, you still have things in the system tray that you don't want, they are probably being started by the registry.

I'm sure you've heard all the caveats about running RegEdit. Make a backup of your registry first, of course.

Enter "regedit" in the Start->Run... window. Select Export Registry File from the Registry menu. Save the exported file in a safe location. Now you have a backup of your registry, but it is by no means a safe one. It is possible to damage the registry and not be able to import the old file, so the only safe way to make sure you can restore the machine to its current state is to image the drive using Ghost or something similar. Do that first if the machine is critical. I don't mean to scare you, it is quite rare that the registry will become damaged to that point but...

Ok, all that being said:

The registry key for items in the system tray is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

Navigate to there using the tree in the left window. When "Run" is highlighted you should see some entries in the right window.

vptray should be left in there, almost everything else is discretionary, but use caution. Ask here or somewhere about specific entries if you're not sure. Delete entries by right-clicking on them and selecting delete.

Close regedit and reboot the machine.

If you still have things you don't want in the system tray, then they are most likely being started by their parent programs. You'll need to un-install the parent program to remove them.

hth

If you're not quite sure what to drop or not, I would stay out of the registry. The "startup" tab of MSConfig should address any and all programs that are being started by the registry, as well as any Windows 3.x legacy programs that start from Win.ini., but when you uncheck them, it makes it quite easy to put them back if you make a mistake. If you scrub them from the registry and then find you need them, you might end up having to reinstall something.

If you have unchecked items that run from the startup folder, make sure you go to the start menu and delete them from the new folder "disabled startup items" that MSConfig creates. If you have to disable a start-menu program a second time, MSconfig will refuse to do it if it finds a copy already in the disabled folder.

Usually the only things that absolutely must run to make Windows go are Explorer and System tray. Usually you can figure out what other items belong to the antivirus program by looking at the folders they live in. If you're connecting to a broadband connection on Win 98 or 95, there may also be components of that that you must leave in.

If you stick to MSConfig, at least for starters, you can experiment. Uncheck a slew of things, boot up, and see if everything works properly. If it doesn't, you can usually get a clue from the error messages what needs to be rechecked. Keep that up until you're leaned out. Once you're sure, you can then attack the registry if you feel like it, or just leave it as is.

As Tucker notes, some programs you uncheck might be rechecked by parent programs that run either at startup or another time. If programs seem to be rechecking themselves, you'll have to find the program that is doing it, and either delete it or not run it, or get used to it. Quicktime is one of those - when run it will often recheck itself.

Also microsoft used to have 'regclean' or registery cleaning program on their support site for 95/98 that would clean up things quite a bit, especially after a poor 'uninstall' of some software package. Some software providers spend alot of time on writing their installers but no time doing their uninstallers, result is alot of garbage gets left behind. Even major software suppliers, Novell was an example I ran into yesterday with their newest 95/98 client release, that keep screwing up and I wasted an hour fixing.
Over the years I have found that it's a really good idea to adopt a yearly maintenance program where win95 or win98 is concerned, IOW reinstall it yearly :D or more often as needed :D :D
I know there are some free aftermarket registery cleaners out there also on sites such as tucows and no-nags but have heard mixed results. I have never had the MS version do any damage. If you can't find the MS version let me know and I'll stick it on my ftp server so you can grab it, thats if I can find it, it's been a while.
As for the russian front, nah thats to easy, me I just remove your mac addy from the dhcp server and block you mac at the firewall. :D

the registry is the evil curse of M$. I have seen regcleaners come and go...but no matter what over time your registry will become clogged and eventually lead to the demise of your computer.

that being said...yes...the above mentioned way of editing the registry is valid. if you want create a list of what is in the "Run" folder and post it here.

I'm sure some of us "computer nazis" will tell you what to kill and what to keep.

If you are running WinXP Pro or Win2k you can turn off unnecessary services and gain alot of speed and memory. Only you can answer which ones are unnecessary, however.

Here is a link to an uber-nerd's website. The information here is not flawless, but it's pretty good. My recommendation: don't disable services unless you are certain they are not useful for you (for instance, there is a service that Windows sometimes installs that's only purpose is to collect the serial number off of mobile MP3 players. USELESS - disable.). Otherwise, only make them "Manual" instead of "automatic". Some services will still insist on starting up even when set to manual and are not necessary. Nonetheless, use discretion when disabling services.

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm

Hope this helps. If it's still too slow, and you can't replace it with a faster one - try a full format and reinstall of windows. It does get clogged over time.

Drewlee77 said:
If you are running WinXP Pro or Win2k you can turn off unnecessary services and gain alot of speed and memory. Only you can answer which ones are unnecessary, however.

Here is a link to an uber-nerd's website. The information here is not flawless, but it's pretty good. My recommendation: don't disable services unless you are certain they are not useful for you (for instance, there is a service that Windows sometimes installs that's only purpose is to collect the serial number off of mobile MP3 players. USELESS - disable.). Otherwise, only make them "Manual" instead of "automatic". Some services will still insist on starting up even when set to manual and are not necessary. Nonetheless, use discretion when disabling services.

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm

Hope this helps. If it's still too slow, and you can't replace it with a faster one - try a full format and reinstall of windows. It does get clogged over time.

I've used the advice on the Blackviper site, and it seemed to be pretty reliable. I dont' know if my computer sped up, but I pared off a lot of junk, and did no damage. If you do go there, be sure to heed his warning to disable services ONLY through the "services.msc" applet, NOT through MSConfig. Aside from providing better information, Services.msc will not permit you to delete services that are mandatory for windows, but Msconfig will, and if you do you will end up having to reinstall.

Sorry this took so long, I had to 'work' yesterday.:D

Here is what is checked in the start up file...
Scan Registry
AtiPTA
atizcwxx
task monitor
system tray
Load Power Profile
Load QM
Quick time Task
mouse suitr 98 Daemon
uptray
atipoLAB
Load Power Profile
RTVSCN 95
ATIPOlab
Load Power Profile
rtvscn 95
defwatch

Yes Load Power... is on there three times. Other things are on multiple times also.

Thanks, Sean...wish these things were mechanical...R

these things are mechanicl. =)

Things to Kill:

ScanReg
QuickTime Task

Things to keep:

ATI stuff...for your video card.
taskmon
systemtray
power crap
rtvscan - Real Time Virus Scan--the nazis will get you if you delete this!
defwatch - updates virus defs

Not sure what the uptray is. Does it give a path name next to it??

Back